EmptySeats

Beneficiary's SSN on I-129f

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

My K1 beneficiary once lived in the US, for study abroad, over ten years ago and just for one school year. She had a social security number then, as she was a resident. The I-129F asks for her social, if applicable. The problem is, we don’t have her social. It was in an old email address she used at the time, but when she logged in today Yahoo had purged her emails (apparently they often do that when you haven’t logged in for over a year). She never thought she’d need her US SSN again, and I’m sure never thought Yahoo would erase her emails.

She called the school and they wouldn’t give it over the phone. They said call SSA - who on their own website say that they can’t give you anything on the phone. They make you request a new social security card in person, which is impossible from Ecuador.

So we are kind of stuck. It’s tricky being a foreign national, living abroad, with no valid work or study visa, and wanting your social security card (or number, but they won’t ever tell you your number, they only issue you a card).

Other than that, we are ready to send our packet. What would you suggest?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I would send the packet, but I would also add an 'additional information' page to go with the form, stating what you have explained above. USCIS will be able to verify her time in the US previously. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline
13 minutes ago, wbeem said:

I would send the packet, but I would also add an 'additional information' page to go with the form, stating what you have explained above. USCIS will be able to verify her time in the US previously. 

Thanks! That's what I was learning towards.

Is this the sort of thing that will be sorted out once she moves here? As in, she'll have her ID and visa, etc and then she goes to SSA locally and requests a social security card (the same way I would)?

4 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

Is this the sort of thing that will be sorted out once she moves here? As in, she'll have her ID and visa, etc and then she goes to SSA locally and requests a social security card (the same way I would)?

Yup. She might be given form SS-5 to fill out and sign. I believe it'll technically be a replacement card, but the new card will be unrestricted.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm See "lets you work without restriction" part.

Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

Yup. She might be given form SS-5 to fill out and sign. I believe it'll technically be a replacement card, but the new card will be unrestricted.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm See "lets you work without restriction" part.

Thanks HR. You guys are so helpful. It was a weird question I don't think anyone had ever asked before (I searched every way possible) - so hopefully someone in the future can find this discussion useful.

While we are at it. This question isn't new topic worthy but just wondering. Blue or black ink for signatures?

Edited by EmptySeats

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
11 minutes ago, HRQX said:

USCIS doesn't explicitly specify: https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips I recommend black ink.

I always tend to black ink for anything official. Typically when ink color is specified on legal or official documents, black is standard; sometimes instructions tell you black or blue. If there are no instructions, as in this case, I always go with black ink. Safe bet :)

Best wishes as you start your journey. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.