omega300man

How to get divorced with my Chinese wife who LIVES in China

31 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, samnrong said:

Let me know how many of your ex’s chinese assets you were able to actually get a hold of.

the court can say whatever it wants. Actually getting the assets expropriated from China into your hands is an entirely different matter. But please do tell

how you were able to expropriate your ex wife’s chinese assets. I’d love to hear that story.

Well, I represented myself (no fault divorce) and I basically paid her money to go away.  Not a lot, as the marriage was short.  

While we were at her lawyers office I told them both up front my offer.  It was fair considering the PA alimony calculation, time of married etc.

Initially her lawyer (who tried to strong arm me in many hilarious ways) was adamant about financial discovery (a must in divorce).  But I quickly shot her down and cited numerous case law precedents that financial discovery could be waived if both parties agreed.  I told her that my wife probably lied to her (the lawyer)  about her assets and I had photos of her two houses, cars, interiors etc and also had knowledge of her financial holdings.  Basically my wife was worth way more than me and I she would probably end up paying me once we laid out the cards in front of a judge.  And that since I had proof of her assets, not listing them at market prices would look bad for her.. I threw in fancy lawyer talk like perjury and what not.

I was asked to step outside so they could talk and 20 minutes later we were writing up a divorce settlement.  My wife was not happy..  I guess she realized that she can't claim 'poor little immigrant girl' when I had proof of her wealth back home.  The lawyers tone and facial expressions proved me right.  She was constantly throwing the stink eye at my wife because I KNEW she lied to her about her assets.  

You don't get to hide assets from a US judge and just say you're from another country.  Especially when there is proof to show the judge.

I will admit that at best I could hope for is for a judge to award ME alimony, or at least order none be paid to her.  My ex would have simply left the country and I would have a useless order from the court.  But that's not the win.  The win is ME (or any ex) not having to pay support to an otherwise wealthy ex spouse.

Edited by visafrompa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.