IsabelleFredrick

How long has your k2's follow to join AOS taken?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Curious on people's timelines for  kids following to join, and how long their AOS took? I read that CA takes 8.5 - 42 months!!! Wow. I was expecting around 7months.

1 hour ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Curious on people's timelines for  kids following to join, and how long their AOS took? I read that CA takes 8.5 - 42 months!!! Wow. I was expecting around 7months.

Doing follow to join right now isnt the wisest of choices unless you have someone you can depend on in your home country who can organize the process for your K2s, attend the medical and interview and possibly fly with them if necessary (maybe your USC petitioner?).

With approval dates for the Combo Card sitting at 6.5 to 8.5 months with MANY going into extended processing times of 30 to 60 days more than that, its not guaranteed at this time that a K1 would be able to return home to help with the K2 follow to join process within the required year time limit for the K2 follow to join.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My stepson came to the U.S. 6 months after his mother and sister and we filed AOS/EAD/AP in late December.  He got his EAD/AP combo card on July 16 (198 days). 

Earlier in the month, we called USCIS to inquire about his cards and the Tier 2 said there was an interview waiver "attached" to his AOS because his mother and sister had interviews and received their green cards in November 2018.  He noted it would still be up to Baltimore to decide if he would be interviewed.

This morning, I checked his AOS status online and was surprised to find it was updated to "New Card Being Produced" after 212 days.  No interview or letter from Baltimore.

As @K1visaHopeful noted, follow to join really isn't the easiest/cheapest option.  My stepson planned to stay in Vietnam with his father, but changed his mind the day before we left for the U.S.  We took our time bringing him to make sure he REALLY wanted to come.  Follow to join cost more because we filed for his AOS separately from his mother.   If your K2 hasn't gone through the medical and interview, they will need an adult to accompany them.  My wife's best friend accompanied her son to the medical, vaccination appointment, and consulate.  My wife returned to Vietnam to accompany him home.

Hope that helps - Jason

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.