Dashinka

Snopes Just Fact Checked Babylon Bee Again and This Time It Crossed the Line

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

:bonk:

Normally, when Snopes fact checks satire sites, it’s kind of ridiculous and fun to laugh at. This time, however, Snopes went further than just fact-checking an article.

Once again, Snopes has thrown its super sleuths into action and made sure that the American public wasn’t at all fooled by those dastardly Republicans and their nefarious sense of humor. This time the site wanted to squash a claim that

The Bee decided to make fun of Georgia State Rep. Erica Thomas, who was recently in a bit of a controversy for claiming someone had told her to go back to her country in an altercation at a Publix, but later was found out to have been lying. Thomas even admitted as such.

In true form, the Bee wrote a satirical article about the adventures of Thomas.

The article was headlined “Georgia Lawmaker Claims Chick-Fil-A Employee Told Her To Go Back To Her Country, Later Clarifies He Actually Said ‘My Pleasure’,” and describes a similar incident to the one Thomas claimed to have encountered in the Publix, only with a funnier spin:

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2019/07/25/snopes-just-fact-checked-babylon-bee-time-crossed-line/

https://babylonbee.com/news/georgia-lawmaker-claims-chick-fil-a-employee-told-her-to-go-back-to-where-she-came-from-later-clarifies-he-actually-just-said-my-pleasure

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Babylon Bee’s actual attempts at satire are so poorly done, it’s not really surprising to see them get fact checked. I agree though, there are enough actual fake news sites to focus on. Snope’s should leave the kids at the Bee alone and hopefully with time they will get better at what they are trying to do.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Babylon Bee’s actual attempts at satire are so poorly done, it’s not really surprising to see them get fact checked. I agree though, there are enough actual fake news sites to focus on. Snope’s should leave the kids at the Bee alone and hopefully with time they will get better at what they are trying to do.

Really?  It’s not like BB hides the fact that they are a satire site.  Snopes fact checking them just shows how much of a joke and biased source Snopes really is. 

4 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Really?  It’s not like BB hides the fact that they are a satire site.  Snopes fact checking them just shows how much of a joke and biased source Snopes really is. 

They are attempting satire. It comes off more as trolling. There's a fine line sometimes, but even the article in question, changing a few details of an actual event and making it a story does not really qualify as satire. Especially when the intent is to get a reaction out of a certain demographic group.  Snope's even makes that assertion in the linked article. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

U.S.—Snopes has rolled out a helpful new feature: an opinion checker. 

Alongside the site's helpful fact checks of satirical articles and debunking of urban legends, there will now be a section of the site dedicated to checking out opinions and letting you know which ones are acceptable to hold.

"Just checking facts wasn't enough anymore---now, people are looking to Snopes to be the moral arbiter of which opinions are OK and which ones are not," said a spokesperson for the website. "This has been a long time coming. We've pretty much been doing this all along, but disguising it as a 'fact check.' So now we can just be much more upfront with people about what our intentions are."

As soon as the feature went live, Snopes had opinion-checked dozens of opinions, including the following:

• President Trump isn't as bad as Hitler
  • White men aren't all bad
  • Abortion is wrong
  • Pineapple does not belong on pizza
  • Hillary Clinton is not a good person
  • The Last Jedi is trash
  • It's OK to laugh at a joke on the internet

All of these earned a "Wrong" opinion rating. Any post expressing these opinions on social media will automatically be tagged with a "Wrong" rating from Snopes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

They are attempting satire. It comes off more as trolling. There's a fine line sometimes, but even the article in question, changing a few details of an actual event and making it a story does not really qualify as satire. Especially when the intent is to get a reaction out of a certain demographic group.  Snope's even makes that assertion in the linked article. 

Considering the story was another instance of false racism it maybe deserves a little satire.  Sure, it is easy for Snopes to say this appeals to Conservatives, BB is a Conservative site.  Snopes could just as easily written an article about a story in HuffPo and say it appealed to a certain demographic.  Regardless, this is not about BB, it is about Snopes taking a fake satirical article and labeling it as false, I wonder how much they paid the writer for that bombshell.  Now of course if Snopes wants to come out and say they are a left wing media critic site, then fine, stop the biased fact checking and state your politics.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

U.S.—Snopes has rolled out a helpful new feature: an opinion checker. 

Alongside the site's helpful fact checks of satirical articles and debunking of urban legends, there will now be a section of the site dedicated to checking out opinions and letting you know which ones are acceptable to hold.

"Just checking facts wasn't enough anymore---now, people are looking to Snopes to be the moral arbiter of which opinions are OK and which ones are not," said a spokesperson for the website. "This has been a long time coming. We've pretty much been doing this all along, but disguising it as a 'fact check.' So now we can just be much more upfront with people about what our intentions are."

As soon as the feature went live, Snopes had opinion-checked dozens of opinions, including the following:

• President Trump isn't as bad as Hitler
  • White men aren't all bad
  • Abortion is wrong
  • Pineapple does not belong on pizza
  • Hillary Clinton is not a good person
  • The Last Jedi is trash
  • It's OK to laugh at a joke on the internet

All of these earned a "Wrong" opinion rating. Any post expressing these opinions on social media will automatically be tagged with a "Wrong" rating from Snopes.

Snopes, the Antifa of the media world.

Edited by Bill & Katya