K + M

What exactly does this status mean?

21 posts in this topic

Went to go and check our SAVE earlier, and there is no more estimated wait time of days, just this, I am curious exactly what this means.

The green check mark was on Verification arrow, and now it has moved back to enter case.

63250d1976824870f3c60faaeadc678e.png

3417cba6e2bac5523390dbff45df0228.png

Edited by Kerri and Myles

Okay so an update, we called the USCIS number that the lady at the SSA gave us, the lady at the SSA called in before we did and said that we need to call USCIS and fix the problem on their end as they have some information wrong.  So we called the USCIS, and they said what we need to do is obtain a SAV Facts sheet from the SSA office, then with that SAV facts sheet call back to the USCIS, and then an appointment can be made to correct the error on their end basically making sure all the information is correct at the local field office.  She then said with the information being correct on the DHS end in conjunction with the SAV facts sheet that no verification will be needed as this is doing it manually, and when we then go back to the SSA office and apply again for the SSN it won't need to be verified and will happen right away.  

Has anyone else done this, or gone through with this?

Another update, we went to the SSA office today to get the SAV facts sheet, and the guy there wasn't the girl we originally worked with, and he had no idea what a SAV facts sheet was, so long story short we are going back tomorrow to get the SAV facts sheet from the girl that we started the application tomorrow with. 

The whole story of the appointment today.

We went in and got called up to the desk and told the SSA worker our story of how DHS told us to come in and get the SAV facts sheet to have so we can make an appointment to go to the local field office and get this all straightened out, and then we come back and get the SSN.  He looked puzzled as if he has never heard what a SAV facts sheet was before, which was not a complete shock, but hey stuff happens, so I just continued on to explain our situation.  Now this is where this really started to confuse me, the guy started saying attached to Kerri's file was saying she had the forms I-551, he also said something with 797 which I know is removal of conditions, and he kept mentioning about how she has the ability to work, which she doesn't because we havn't filed for AOS yet.  We are going back tomorrow to meet with the original lady who is helping us with this case, and we are going to get the whole mess all straightened out.  

Is what this is, did the original SSA lady who filed the application to get Kerri's SSN attach to her file that she has documents that she doesnt, and has authorizations that she doesnt?  Because to me that is what this sounds like.  We are going back tomorrow, going to have a long appointment with the lady and hopefully get this all straightened out and tell her to get rid of all that stuff as we havn't filed for AOS yet, and we are not that far long into the immigration process yet.  I mean if we had 797 we wouldn't just now be filing for SSN, but hey 😀.

What you all think?

Okay so a whole new scenario, I need some clarification on this because I have been told some things by USCIS that I have never heard before, and I am curious if this is all right.  I called USCIS and explain our situation to them, and have to call back because they accidentally hung up on us, but what the woman told us before she hung up is this:

A social security number you get issued to you while under K1 status will become void once the 90 days is up, and you have to file for a new one once your EAD comes in, which would mean you wouldnt be able to have a SSN in the timeframe of I-94 expiring to EAD coming in after filing for AOS.

If this is true, then what is the point of filing for a SSN at all during the 90 days, please someone with some clarification on all this would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE HELP.  

1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

A social security number you get issued to you while under K1 status will become void once the 90 days is up, and you have to file for a new one once your EAD comes in, which would mean you wouldnt be able to have a SSN in the timeframe of I-94 expiring to EAD coming in after filing for AOS.

This is false. An SSN is issued for life and has no printed expiration date.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

This is false. An SSN is issued for life and has no printed expiration date.

So the woman at USCIS was incorrect?  We can get the Social Security number while under K1 status and it is good forever?

I am so confused at this point, the woman at SSA office did it wrong, and then the woman at USCIS told us incorrect information about SSN, @geowrian I know that you are like the king of knowing SSN's, if you could please review and read our story and what to do, and how to handle it, and what is correct information if you could tell us all that,  I would be SO THANKFUL, thank you in advance.  

So the woman at USCIS was incorrect?  We can get the Social Security number while under K1 status and it is good forever?

Correct. You can get an SSN so long as you have at least 14 days of legal status remaining (meaning you apply and the application is approved within the first 76 days of entry). That number will continue for the rest of your life (although the card may be reissued or changed as needed over time).

Note that the card/number is not sufficient for work purposes. It will state that it is only valid for employment purposes with DHS authorization. That's where the EAD is needed.

I'm assuming the USCIS (mis)information line confused the SSN with the EAD requirements, since technically K-1 holders can apply for an EAD within the first 90 days but it expires at the end of the original 90 days still.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Correct. You can get an SSN so long as you have at least 14 days of legal status remaining (meaning you apply and the application is approved within the first 76 days of entry). That number will continue for the rest of your life (although the card may be reissued or changed as needed over time).

Note that the card/number is not sufficient for work purposes. It will state that it is only valid for employment purposes with DHS authorization. That's where the EAD is needed.

I'm assuming the USCIS (mis)information line confused the SSN with the EAD requirements, since technically K-1 holders can apply for an EAD within the first 90 days but it expires at the end of the original 90 days still.

Ohhhhhhh that makes sense, she definately got EAD mixed up with SSN, what do you think happened with her file having I-551, MRIV attached to it, would that be a scenario of the SSA working messing up the application, and what would you think is the best course of action to take from here to get this SSN, we were planning on going back to the SSA office tomorrow to meet up with the woman that originally sent off the application.

What do you think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Another update, we went to the SSA office today to get the SAV facts sheet, and the guy there wasn't the girl we originally worked with, and he had no idea what a SAV facts sheet was, so long story short we are going back tomorrow to get the SAV facts sheet from the girl that we started the application tomorrow with. 

The whole story of the appointment today.

We went in and got called up to the desk and told the SSA worker our story of how DHS told us to come in and get the SAV facts sheet to have so we can make an appointment to go to the local field office and get this all straightened out, and then we come back and get the SSN.  He looked puzzled as if he has never heard what a SAV facts sheet was before, which was not a complete shock, but hey stuff happens, so I just continued on to explain our situation.  Now this is where this really started to confuse me, the guy started saying attached to Kerri's file was saying she had the forms I-551, he also said something with 797 which I know is removal of conditions, and he kept mentioning about how she has the ability to work, which she doesn't because we havn't filed for AOS yet.  We are going back tomorrow to meet with the original lady who is helping us with this case, and we are going to get the whole mess all straightened out.  

Is what this is, did the original SSA lady who filed the application to get Kerri's SSN attach to her file that she has documents that she doesnt, and has authorizations that she doesnt?  Because to me that is what this sounds like.  We are going back tomorrow, going to have a long appointment with the lady and hopefully get this all straightened out and tell her to get rid of all that stuff as we havn't filed for AOS yet, and we are not that far long into the immigration process yet.  I mean if we had 797 we wouldn't just now be filing for SSN, but hey 😀.

What you all think?

797 is the Notice  of Action that is generated when you submit forms like I129f, I130, I751 etc to the USCIS. The AOS application is I751 

3 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Ohhhhhhh that makes sense, she definately got EAD mixed up with SSN, what do you think happened with her file having I-551, MRIV attached to it, would that be a scenario of the SSA working messing up the application, and what would you think is the best course of action to take from here to get this SSN, we were planning on going back to the SSA office tomorrow to meet up with the woman that originally sent off the application.

What do you think?

I don't really have much to add here as it sounds like a mixup somewhere. An I-551 is a green card (either directly or an endorsed immigrant visa or via the stamp). She clearly doesn't have a green card yet.

As for next steps, it's back to the SSA. Try a different clerk or a supervisor if you can. Or even a different office if it comes to that.

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

797 is the Notice  of Action that is generated when you submit forms like I129f, I130, I751 etc to the USCIS. The AOS application is I751 

I-485 :P

I-751 is for ROC.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

I don't really have much to add here as it sounds like a mixup somewhere. An I-551 is a green card (either directly or an endorsed immigrant visa or via the stamp). She clearly doesn't have a green card yet.

As for next steps, it's back to the SSA. Try a different clerk or a supervisor if you can. Or even a different office if it comes to that.

I-751 is for ROC.

Oops. You can tell I did neither can’t you. !At least I got the 797 correct 🤪

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I-751 is for ROC.

@geowrian when we go back to the SSA office tomorrow, what I was planning on doing is telling the woman exactly what she has which is just K1 visa, we have gotten married in the 90 days, and are now applying for SSN, that everything else should be taken off her file because she doesnt have any of that.  Is their any chance it could be easy like that to where she takes that off her file and the application proceeds as normal, as to clear the mixup?  Or can we start a whole new application, or can we not have two applications going.

Oh, and she is the supervisor :D

6 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

@geowrian when we go back to the SSA office tomorrow, what I was planning on doing is telling the woman exactly what she has which is just K1 visa, we have gotten married in the 90 days, and are now applying for SSN, that everything else should be taken off her file because she doesnt have any of that.  Is their any chance it could be easy like that to where she takes that off her file and the application proceeds as normal, as to clear the mixup?  Or can we start a whole new application, or can we not have two applications going.

Oh, and she is the supervisor :D

The only thing I might change is not mentioning that you married (Edit: if you had a name change). Getting an SSN in a married name w/o an EAD or green card in the same name can be a challenge. Technically it's allowed under the rules in their POMS, but many people have had trouble with the married name scenario w/o any evidence from DHS directly of the name change.

Unless you really need the card to be in the married name now (you can change it once you get the EAD or green card), I would personally focus on getting the number first. That's the simplest way IMO.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The only thing I might change is not mentioning that you married (Edit: if you had a name change). Getting an SSN in a married name w/o an EAD or green card in the same name can be a challenge. Technically it's allowed under the rules in their POMS, but many people have had trouble with the married name scenario w/o any evidence from DHS directly of the name change.

Unless you really need the card to be in the married name now (you can change it once you get the EAD or green card), I would personally focus on getting the number first. That's the simplest way IMO.

yeah we are just getting the number now without her married name, and just getting it changed to married name later with EAD, but what I am asking just from your experience with SSN's in our scenario the best course of action for me to go in tomorrow and tell the lady, would it be to say just that Kerri doesnt have any of that and you put wrong information on her file, or what you think?  Like what's the quickest and easiest, way to clear this mixup and get the SSN you think?  Because I already know the woman at the SSA tomorrow won't know what to do, and I will have to tell her what to do, so I am just wanting to make sure the best course of action to clear the mix-up.  What would you do tomorrow if you were in my shoes? @geowrian

Thank you so much in advance.

yeah we are just getting the number now without her married name, and just getting it changed to married name later with EAD, but what I am asking just from your experience with SSN's in our scenario the best course of action for me to go in tomorrow and tell the lady, would it be to say just that Kerri doesnt have any of that and you put wrong information on her file, or what you think?  Like what's the quickest and easiest, way to clear this mixup and get the SSN you think?  Because I already know the woman at the SSA tomorrow won't know what to do, and I will have to tell her what to do, so I am just wanting to make sure the best course of action to clear the mix-up.  What would you do tomorrow if you were in my shoes?

Thank you so much in advance.

I gotcha.

That's a tough one....not much you can do to force somebody to do their job correctly. If there were, I would be working in management instead.

Optimally, she should be able to lookup her record in SAVE by I-94, passport number, or A-Number. Have all of them available (passport + visa + I-94 printout from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/, and I-797). Check the name on the I-94 printout matches her passport, too...even 1 character off can cause a mismatch.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.