Karry

Joint sponsor household members

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! First a big thank you for the support! I have a questions that was probably answered before but i wasn‘t able to find anything. 

My joint sponsor is married and his wife‘s brother lives in the same house with them. When he fills out the papers, and they ask about the household size (he is going to joint sponsor myself and my child) is his household size 5 (himself,his wife, her brother, me and my child) or is it 3 (him, me and my child) i am a little confused. 

Also, i didn‘t have my appointment yet (it‘s beginning of august)  also they didn‘t request a joint sponsor yet. Should i take the documents from the joint sponsor with me just in case? Or will they let me know that i need to submit the document and give me a new appointment? Will there be a long delay?

thank you all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Karry said:

Hello everybody! First a big thank you for the support! I have a questions that was probably answered before but i wasn‘t able to find anything. 

My joint sponsor is married and his wife‘s brother lives in the same house with them. When he fills out the papers, and they ask about the household size (he is going to joint sponsor myself and my child) is his household size 5 (himself,his wife, her brother, me and my child) or is it 3 (him, me and my child) i am a little confused. 

Also, i didn‘t have my appointment yet (it‘s beginning of august)  also they didn‘t request a joint sponsor yet. Should i take the documents from the joint sponsor with me just in case? Or will they let me know that i need to submit the document and give me a new appointment? Will there be a long delay?

thank you all

I 864 Part 3 Item 29 would be 2 (you and your child), so that number would go on Part 5 Item 1, he puts 1 for Part 5 Item 2 for himself,  then his wife goes in Part 5, Item 3, and the brother-in-law would go on line 5, so total household size should be 5 in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Just now, Bill & Katya said:

I 864 Part 3 Item 29 would be 2 (you and your child), so that number would go on Part 5 Item 1, he puts 1 for Part 5 Item 2 for himself,  then his wife goes in Part 5, Item 3, and the brother-in-law would go on line 5, so total household size should be 5 in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Okay that means he has to have the income for a household size of 5 (30,200$)in the list? Even tho his wife works and he doesn‘t really sponsor her? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Karry said:

thank you all

If you are applying for an IR1, is your daughter already a USC or is she applying for an IR2 ? 

Does your joint sponsor claim his brother in-law as a dependent on his tax returns ? 

Is the brother in laws income being included in the household income to meet the financial level , or does the joint sponsor meet the level on his own ? 

Have your documemts been qualified at the NVC without a request for a joint sponsor ? If yes , then they have been accepted as us and a joint sponsor is not needed at this time 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Karry said:

Okay that means he has to have the income for a household size of 5 (30,200$)in the list? Even tho his wife works and he doesn‘t really sponsor her? 

Per the HHS guidelines, it seems $37,712 for a household of 5.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

If you are applying for an IR1, is your daughter already a USC or is she applying for an IR2 ? 

Does your joint sponsor claim his brother in-law as a dependent on his tax returns ? 

Is the brother in laws income being included in the household income to meet the financial level , or does the joint sponsor meet the level on his own ? 

Have your documemts been qualified at the NVC without a request for a joint sponsor ? If yes , then they have been accepted as us and a joint sponsor is not needed at this time 

It is a IR1 and IR2

we do DCF

the brother in law does not work. 

I don‘t know if he claims him on the tax return.

the joint sponsor makes way more than 37000$ so that won‘t be a problem. I just have to tell him how to fill out the papers...

well.. my husband is my sponsor and he has no job right now in the us.. i really expect them to ask me for a joint sponsor at the interview. 

So far, they didn‘t request a joint sponsor

Edited by Karry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Karry said:

It is a IR1 and IR2

we do DCF

the brother in law does not work. 

I don‘t know if he claims him on the tax return.

the joint sponsor makes way more than 37000$ so that won‘t be a problem. I just have to tell him how to fill out the papers...

well.. my husband is my sponsor and he has no job right now in the us.. i really expect them to ask me for a joint sponsor at the interview. 

So far, they didn‘t request a joint sponsor

Ah, DCF explains the no NVC 

Yes you need joint sponsor. 

You need 864 from him for each of you as each petition needs it’s own  864 .. each petition is separate. 

For each 864 the household will be joint sponsor + spouse+ brother in law (only if he is claimed as a tax dependent by joint sponsor ) + one immigrant only. 

You don’t add two immigrants to the one 864 when they are on seperate  petitions as yours are ... 

so his household size will be either 2+1. or 3+1....  

Your husband will also need to complete an 864 for each petitioner even though he won’t meet the income level  

17 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Ah, DCF explains the no NVC 

Yes you need joint sponsor. 

You need 864 from him for each of you as each petition needs it’s own  864 .. each petition is separate. 

For each 864 the household will be joint sponsor + spouse+ brother in law (only if he is claimed as a tax dependent by joint sponsor ) + one immigrant only. 

You don’t add two immigrants to the one 864 when they are on seperate  petitions as yours are ... 

so his household size will be either 2+1. or 3+1....  

Your husband will also need to complete an 864 for each petitioner even though he won’t meet the income level  

My husband already did the I-864 We own a business and turned in the last 3 tax returns so there was no problem. But the business is outside the us and will be sold end of august since we are panning on leaving. The consulate should know that we won‘t have and income after that. That‘s why i was wondering when they request a joint sponsor.

my husband said that his brother is not qualified to be on the joint sponsors tax return. So it will be 2+1 ( we had seperate petitions my son and i) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.