Jump to content

Customs Entry Form question for F1 visa

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia

When you arrive to the US, you are given a customs form (CBP Traveler Entry Form) to fill out. One of the questions is "Country of Residence". If one temporarily lives in the US (e.g. on an F1 visa) [in a rented apartment] [and spends at least 10 months a year in the US, spending the remaining 2 months or so traveling], what should they answer? Is the US their country of residence, or is the country of residence defined to be the country of their permanent residence (which is in most cases the country of their citizenship)?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia

I've read it as "Country of permanent residency" and put there my citizenship country - did not have any problems! 

F-1 visa is not a resident visa. 

Science is not a liberal conspiracy.


Our immigration journey 



 01/02/2018 Started dating 

01/21/2019 Got engaged

04/08/2019 Got married

06/17/2019 AOS package sent

06/19/2019 Package delivered

06/24/2019 Card charged 

06/25/2019 Text notifications (no email!)

07/03/2019 Received NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (dated 06/25/2019)

07/20/2019 Received biometrics appointment letter (dated 07/12/2019)

07/31/2019 Biometrics

09/03/2019 Received interview notice

10/10/2019 Interview

10/11/2019 Case approved! :star:

10/16/2019 "Card was mailed" case status update

10/17/2019 Received tracking number for the green card in mail

10/18/2019 Green card in hand! 

Pause till 2021! 😺


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Country of residence is different for tax purposes and for immigration/visa purposes. For the IRS you are probably a resident, but for USCIS you are not a resident. 


I just came into the US and I didn't have to fill out that form. I think they are removing it from some airports.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...