Regina1983

Sharia Law & the Cenomar

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, We are doing a fiancee visa. I was previously married in the Philippines and I got a sharia law divorce in the Philippines and registered it with the PSA and they gave me back an annotated copy and I filed that along with our petition and it was approved by the USCIS. Now we are at the embassy stage of this process but I ran into a problem when I want to the PSA to get a cenomar. They tole me that they don't issue cenomars for sharia law divorces and that won't start doing that for another year or two. Can I do my embassy interview with just my PSA annotated divorce papers without having a cenomar? I really don't know what do do and I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Regina1983 said:

Hi there, We are doing a fiancee visa. I was previously married in the Philippines and I got a sharia law divorce in the Philippines and registered it with the PSA and they gave me back an annotated copy and I filed that along with our petition and it was approved by the USCIS. Now we are at the embassy stage of this process but I ran into a problem when I want to the PSA to get a cenomar. They tole me that they don't issue cenomars for sharia law divorces and that won't start doing that for another year or two. Can I do my embassy interview with just my PSA annotated divorce papers without having a cenomar? I really don't know what do do and I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you!

Sis i think nag iissue ng certificate of divorce ang psa .. my case was i got married to a muslim guy,but i wasn't actually married,someone used my information, so we got it cancelled.. totally gone,but when i request for a cenomar,it's still stated there na I'm married, and the officer told me they can give me a certificate of divorce.. in my case i didn't want a certificate of divorce, i want a cenomar so they fixed it .. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Regina1983 said:

@Greenbaum may be helpful with this.   

Once you have been married PSA should issue the CEMAR (Certificate of Marriage, form 5) with the annotation of divorce, not a CENOMAR.   Did you get the divorce recorded with PSA? (Not sure of the process for this with a sharia divorce)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

@Greenbaum may be helpful with this.   

Once you have been married PSA should issue the CEMAR (Certificate of Marriage, form 5) with the annotation of divorce, not a CENOMAR.   Did you get the divorce recorded with PSA? (Not sure of the process for this with a sharia divorce)

We are doing a fiancee visa so we are not married. I was previously married and I got my sharia law divorce recorded and annotated with the PSA so now I am single but the PSA will not issue me a cenomar. They told me that they don't issue cenomars for sharia law divorces and that won't start doing that for another year or two. Can I do my embassy interview with just my PSA annotated sharia law divorce papers without having a cenomar?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Regina1983 said:

We are doing a fiancee visa so we are not married. I was previously married and I got my sharia law divorce recorded and annotated with the PSA so now I am single but the PSA will not issue me a cenomar. They told me that they don't issue cenomars for sharia law divorces and that won't start doing that for another year or two. Can I do my embassy interview with just my PSA annotated sharia law divorce papers without having a cenomar?

I understand you are K-1, but you WERE married thus the reason PSA would issue a CEMAR with an annotation and not a CENOMAR.    Once married, whether annulled or divorced you will not get a CENOMAR, PSA issues the CEMAR .

You will need the CEMAR w/annotation, if PSA isn't annotating the CEMAR for sharia divorce I don't have any easy answers.

The word I got: 

You will need the CEMAR and will further face additional scrutiny. You must prove you converted to Islam first, second you must have married a Muslim and that the marriage took place according to Muslim law or the MPL.

If any of that is missing then all bets are off for a K-1.  It's is a very sticky situation since the embassy changed how they adjudicated cases from when Greenbaum did this 6 years ago.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.