Rhythmlicious

USC Citizen abroad during NVC stage

4 posts in this topic

Hi everone, 

Me and my partner just received our NOA2 in the mail today. We can't wait to start with this new chapter, but we have a little situation that I'm worried about. 

Some background information - my partner is the USC, I'm Dutch. My partner has a visa for NL that's still valid and allows him to live and work here.

2 Weeks from now I will visit my partner in the USA with my family. In August I'll go back to my home country. Since my birthday is in September, our plans were that my partner would visit me for a week or 2 in my country again around that time. 
Since we are (just like everyone else) over not being together, my partner wants to come to the Netherlands in August, but stay longer than originally planned and also work here again for some time. Let's say he'll be here from August to December. (we don't know for sure yet, but this is what we've been more or less talking about)

To not delay the process, we still want to continue with the entire NVC part. I have no clue what to do now. 

- Do we need to change his address somewhere, if he actually lives with me for some time? His current address is his mom's and she'll still be there, so there is someone to receive his mail. If we have to change it, it will be to my address in the Netherlands.
- His income over 2018 was enough to meet the requirements for a household of 2. If he lives with me and quits his current job, would we need a sponsor? 

- If he doesn't officially quit, but lets say take a few month 'vacation', could his company sign something that shows he can come back when he's in the USA again? Would that be good for NVC? Or would we still need a sponsor? 
- If he doesn't quit and goes back to the same company after going back to the USA do we even have to let NVC know anything at all? He has left and came back to the same company before (for example when he lived with me for multiple months in 2017).

Also, currently he lives with his mom and some family members. We do not plan on living with them. He petitioned for just me, we don't have any kids. In this situation, what would be our household? Just us 2, or us and everyone who he lives with now? 

Any other tips are very much welcome.

Thanks in advance 

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Rhythmlicious said:

- Do we need to change his address somewhere, if he actually lives with me for some time? His current address is his mom's and she'll still be there, so there is someone to receive his mail. If we have to change it, it will be to my address in the Netherlands.
- His income over 2018 was enough to meet the requirements for a household of 2. If he lives with me and quits his current job, would we need a sponsor? 

- If he doesn't officially quit, but lets say take a few month 'vacation', could his company sign something that shows he can come back when he's in the USA again? Would that be good for NVC? Or would we still need a sponsor? 
- If he doesn't quit and goes back to the same company after going back to the USA do we even have to let NVC know anything at all? He has left and came back to the same company before (for example when he lived with me for multiple months in 2017).

Answers:

• You will not need to change his address.
  • I'll take the next 3 points together.  If he quits, then his current income become $0 and from what you posted, he probably doesn't have sufficient assets to make up for that and therefore a joint sponsor would likely be necessary.  If he doesn't quit and the company authorizes his time-off, then he is still employed by them and there is nothing to tell.

2 hours ago, Rhythmlicious said:

Also, currently he lives with his mom and some family members. We do not plan on living with them. He petitioned for just me, we don't have any kids. In this situation, what would be our household? Just us 2, or us and everyone who he lives with now? 

He only counts himself and you...2; the other people living under the same roof as him do not count.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

18 hours ago, Ryan H said:

Answers:

• You will not need to change his address.
  • I'll take the next 3 points together.  If he quits, then his current income become $0 and from what you posted, he probably doesn't have sufficient assets to make up for that and therefore a joint sponsor would likely be necessary.  If he doesn't quit and the company authorizes his time-off, then he is still employed by them and there is nothing to tell.

He only counts himself and you...2; the other people living under the same roof as him do not count.

Ah thank you so much. We were already considering him not officially quitting and going back to the same company later this year. Glad to read that you basically said the same thing we were already talking about. 

Is the NVC stage completely online now? Or do we still need to send in an actual package? 

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to separate reply from quote

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Rhythmlicious said:

Is the NVC stage completely online now? Or do we still need to send in an actual package? 

That's explained here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-6-submit-documents-to-the-nvc.html

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.