Howins

London medical query -- mental health

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi again all, I'm on the hunt for some more sage advice.

I'm prepping for my medical next week, and in doing so, I've come across a few threads on here about previous mental health issues cropping up as a problem during the London medical.

I've never been diagnosed as being depressed or as having any kind of mental health issue, have never self harmed etc -- however, in around February this year when I was very stressed out by the visa process/getting ready to emigrate/changing jobs, I called a local NHS talking therapy service to see if they offered any 'worry management' sort of therapy. After one session of CBT, I decided it wasn't really for me as it felt like it was for people with genuine anxiety, rather than for people just being overwhelmed by temporary stress.

Anyway, long story short -- both the letter about my assessment (presenting with symptoms of 'generalised worry') and my discharge, i.e. only attending one session, were sent to my GP and logged on my patient summary. I have both of these letters to bring with me to the medical, but after reading some of the threads on the forum, I'm now concerned this could cause a problem.

I'm not really sure what I can bring a long with me as evidence of being of sound mental health. The first letter from the talking therapy service says it's not a formal diagnosis and I pose no risk to myself or anyone else, and I have a letter from my doctor saying I am in good mental and physical health (I originally thought this was what they meant by patient summary from GP). However, the second discharge letter says that, because I didn't finish the sessions, they can't comment on any risk -- which seems to contradict the first letter to me.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or will it just be a case of waiting and seeing what they say at the medical, and if they ask for more info?

Thanks advance for any hep you can give.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Howins said:

I'm prepping for my medical next week, and in doing so, I've come across a few threads on here about previous mental health issues cropping up as a problem during the London medical.

I've never been diagnosed as being depressed or as having any kind of mental health issue, have never self harmed etc -- however, in around February this year when I was very stressed out by the visa process/getting ready to emigrate/changing jobs, I called a local NHS talking therapy service to see if they offered any 'worry management' sort of therapy. After one session of CBT, I decided it wasn't really for me as it felt like it was for people with genuine anxiety, rather than for people just being overwhelmed by temporary stress.

Anyway, long story short -- both the letter about my assessment (presenting with symptoms of 'generalised worry') and my discharge, i.e. only attending one session, were sent to my GP and logged on my patient summary. I have both of these letters to bring with me to the medical, but after reading some of the threads on the forum, I'm now concerned this could cause a problem.

I'm not really sure what I can bring a long with me as evidence of being of sound mental health. The first letter from the talking therapy service says it's not a formal diagnosis and I pose no risk to myself or anyone else, and I have a letter from my doctor saying I am in good mental and physical health (I originally thought this was what they meant by patient summary from GP). However, the second discharge letter says that, because I didn't finish the sessions, they can't comment on any risk -- which seems to contradict the first letter to me.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or will it just be a case of waiting and seeing what they say at the medical, and if they ask for more info?

That should be all you need. As long as you have letters saying you're in good mental health and not a danger to you or others, then that's more than enough. The fact that you don't have an official diagnosis is also a plus. You should be fine honestly, people with histories of depression and self harm have done just fine at the medical with proper letters clearing them. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, Howins said:

Hi @Howins . If you don't mind me asking, in light of this specific situation, how did you answer the 'Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?' question on the medical questionnaire for Knightsbridge/ how did this play out at your medical? 

I only ask because I am in a similar situation. To cut a long story short, about a year ago, I was referred by my GP to an online/ telephone-based CBT course, as I was suffering from a bit of over-worrying/ anxiety about my health. I completed the course and was discharged without any follow-up, and wasn't formally 'diagnosed' with anything. However, I am now wondering if this constitutes answering 'Yes' to the above question. I have seen other users discuss having to obtain letters from their GPs about mental health issues, but generally for more severe/ ongoing mental health issues.

I don't want to be dishonest at my medical, especially as something is bound to appear in the medical records I give them, but I also don't want to make a big situation out of nothing. 

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, although I fully understand this is a personal matter, so no worries if not! 

Cheers.

Timeline
13 hours ago, InRainbows14 said:

Hi @Howins . If you don't mind me asking, in light of this specific situation, how did you answer the 'Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?' question on the medical questionnaire for Knightsbridge/ how did this play out at your medical? 

I only ask because I am in a similar situation. To cut a long story short, about a year ago, I was referred by my GP to an online/ telephone-based CBT course, as I was suffering from a bit of over-worrying/ anxiety about my health. I completed the course and was discharged without any follow-up, and wasn't formally 'diagnosed' with anything. However, I am now wondering if this constitutes answering 'Yes' to the above question. I have seen other users discuss having to obtain letters from their GPs about mental health issues, but generally for more severe/ ongoing mental health issues.

I don't want to be dishonest at my medical, especially as something is bound to appear in the medical records I give them, but I also don't want to make a big situation out of nothing. 

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, although I fully understand this is a personal matter, so no worries if not! 

Hi there!

I answered 'no' to any history of mental health disorder, but I also took my referral/dismissal letters with me and had a note from my GP that just said in general that I was of good physical and mental health.

At my medical exam, the doctor didn't even mention it and didn't ask for any of the letters I had brought! I was the one who brought it up (I wanted to be completely honest about everything!) and he read the letters/we discussed what had happened. He said he was perfectly happy that I was of sound mental health and happy to sign me off as such, after recording our discussion in his notes.

I think it was because there was no formal diagnosis of anything and my GP had vouched that I was healthy, as well as me having no history of mental health issues. 

I would say go prepared, but you'll probably find it's not even brought up during your appointment.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Howins said:

Hi there!

I answered 'no' to any history of mental health disorder, but I also took my referral/dismissal letters with me and had a note from my GP that just said in general that I was of good physical and mental health.

At my medical exam, the doctor didn't even mention it and didn't ask for any of the letters I had brought! I was the one who brought it up (I wanted to be completely honest about everything!) and he read the letters/we discussed what had happened. He said he was perfectly happy that I was of sound mental health and happy to sign me off as such, after recording our discussion in his notes.

I think it was because there was no formal diagnosis of anything and my GP had vouched that I was healthy, as well as me having no history of mental health issues. 

I would say go prepared, but you'll probably find it's not even brought up during your appointment.

Best of luck!

Hi, thanks for the fast and informative reply - it's good to get another perspective on this. Good luck with your visa process!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.