Lookingglass

What if I need to quit my job and get a new one, how will that impact my affidavit of support status in the future?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Okay so here is the situation, I am a supervisor at a retailer. I make well over the requirement needed to be a sponsor for my Fiancee. But being management/corporate at this business has always been for me a temporary work situation, as it is not related to my trade, only sparingly, due to it obviously being business management. So I've had one foot out the door for the past 2 years, but unforeseen circumstances have occurred, they've changed a lot of inner processes and colleagues of mine have all left and they havent been replaced, so I have to do the work of 3 people, and I'm really done with it, as it is unhealthy at this point. 

With that said, I got my NOA 1 April 26 and have been waiting for approval to move onto the Affidavit of Support stage. Now assuming the NOA 2 is received sometime within the next 2 to 3 months, would it be a bad idea to switch jobs?? From what the requirements suggest, all I would need is 3 pay stubs, as well as when I started, how long, and if it is a temporary or permanent position. The job I have now I got back in 2016, which is 3 years. Does it really matter, as long as I make well over the requirement to be a lawful sponsor? I also have around 22k in the bank, which im sure will help.

I know I can tough it out, but if I can do this, I'd rather leave to another, better job.. 

Thoughts, suggestions?

Also, once I get to that point, i.e Affidavit of support/interview happens, does one have to remain at their job until after the marriage happens, or can you go to another job after affidavit and interview are approved?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I say why suffer, get out while the getting is good if you have something lined up. You can submit your last 3 years of tax transcripts showing you made well above the poverty line. I sent 3 years tax transcripts, and I think only my last pay stub before the interview  for the I-134 with no problems. As long as you have a job is a good thing, because they almost always ask your fiancee where you work, or are you working at the interview, and as long as she can say yes, he works at ABC company, I'm sure you will be fine. And if you change now, you will have at minimum a few months in at the new job.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I say why suffer, get out while the getting is good if you have something lined up. You can submit your last 3 years of tax transcripts showing you made well above the poverty line. I sent 3 years tax transcripts, and I think only my last pay stub before the interview  for the I-134 with no problems. As long as you have a job is a good thing, because they almost always ask your fiancee where you work, or are you working at the interview, and as long as she can say yes, he works at ABC company, I'm sure you will be fine. And if you change now, you will have at minimum a few months in at the new job.

Ah thanks for the reply. 

I read this reply to my fiancee, if you dont mind. She had a couple of concerns,  would I have to inform them that I switched work, as its a change to i129f petitioner "employment history"? And also at the interview, if they ask where does he work, and she says my new place of employment, what if they say, thats different from what is here in the i129f? I said then you say that I recently got another job. She is a worrier, lol, so that concerns her. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lookingglass said:

Ah thanks for the reply. 

I read this reply to my fiancee, if you dont mind. She had a couple of concerns,  would I have to inform them that I switched work, as its a change to i129f petitioner "employment history"? And also at the interview, if they ask where does he work, and she says my new place of employment, what if they say, thats different from what is here in the i129f? I said then you say that I recently got another job. She is a worrier, lol, so that concerns her. 

USCIS and the embassy understands that things change all the time. There have been many people going thru many different embassies that have changed jobs during the process. I never saw anyone get denied a Visa or seen anyone post that they didn't get the visa because the petioner changed jobs. Life goes on. I didn't change jobs for my process so far, but I would with out worry. You won't be lying about anything, no big deal that a form you filed 6-8 months earlier listed a different job. If they ask it's a simple answer that you changed jobs. What matters at the interview is that everything is current then. Same thing when people move, it happens, but moving always seems to throw a wrench into things because USCIS is not the best at updating addresses, I have seen some problems when people move, but never saw an issue when people have changed jobs during any part of the process. I think you should be fine. Try searching for changing jobs during I129 process and see what comes up. I'm sure there are many posts where people have done it, and you can see how it went for them.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.