Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland

My situation is that I will be applying for naturalization in early 2020 but I always like  to get my ducks in a row before doing anything.


My son was born in Houston and moved to England when his mum and I got divorced. I stayed in the US for another 3 years, got re-married but I always sent child support to his mom without fail.


My wife and I then moved to the U.K. due to work commitments and of course we were both now being paid in GBP. My ex and I therefore agreed that I should start to pay child support in GBP as opposed to the US dollar. We did the conversion at that time and I've been paying that amount in GBP ever since. After 6 years in the U.K., we moved to SE Asia and although I was being paid in US dollars, she was happy to continue to be paid in GBP thus not being affected by the monthly differences in conversion rate. Even after when we moved back to the US and I was still being paid in dollars..


I've read the N400 proof of moral conduct so, getting my ducks in a row, I contacted my old bank in the U.K. And thy provided me with proof of payments for the past 5 years, I've got print outs of sent checks for additional monies that I gave her to help pay for his education. I asked her for a notarized letter stating that she agreed to be be paid in GBP (if not obvious, our divorce decree amount is in US dollars - I should have stated that before) but she's not playing tag with me. I've even got wire requests from before I moved to the UK but I'm still concerned that her being paid in GBP which in US equivalent money is about $40 less than the divorce decree says I should have been paying. Should I be worried? I don't have any proof that she was happy to be paid in GBP and as I mention when doing the conversion today, it's about $40 less than the dollar equivalent. 



Non-Immigrant visa - H1B

Feb 2001. Enter the US

Nov 2004. Married to USC

May 2006. Depart US


Non-immigrant visa - L1A

Dec 2013. Enter US



May 2016. AOS submission.

June 2017. 10 year GC received



March 22nd. N400 submission window opens

March 23rd. N400 submitted online

March 24th. Everything now visible in N400 online dashboard






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Myanmar

I would not worry.  But I would start paying her what she is owed since she is not playing ball.  Not sure why you are asking her to notarize. A simple email from her that she considers you in compliance with the child support agreement would have been fine.  


When I did my N-400 I did not include the financial settlement agreement in the application. 


I did come to the interview with records of my alimony payments.  


I made a verbal declaration that I was in compliance. The IO didn’t ask for my records. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...