Spam Hill

N400 child support

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My situation is that I will be applying for naturalization in early 2020 but I always like  to get my ducks in a row before doing anything.

My son was born in Houston and moved to England when his mum and I got divorced. I stayed in the US for another 3 years, got re-married but I always sent child support to his mom without fail.

My wife and I then moved to the U.K. due to work commitments and of course we were both now being paid in GBP. My ex and I therefore agreed that I should start to pay child support in GBP as opposed to the US dollar. We did the conversion at that time and I've been paying that amount in GBP ever since. After 6 years in the U.K., we moved to SE Asia and although I was being paid in US dollars, she was happy to continue to be paid in GBP thus not being affected by the monthly differences in conversion rate. Even after when we moved back to the US and I was still being paid in dollars..

I've read the N400 proof of moral conduct so, getting my ducks in a row, I contacted my old bank in the U.K. And thy provided me with proof of payments for the past 5 years, I've got print outs of sent checks for additional monies that I gave her to help pay for his education. I asked her for a notarized letter stating that she agreed to be be paid in GBP (if not obvious, our divorce decree amount is in US dollars - I should have stated that before) but she's not playing tag with me. I've even got wire requests from before I moved to the UK but I'm still concerned that her being paid in GBP which in US equivalent money is about $40 less than the divorce decree says I should have been paying. Should I be worried? I don't have any proof that she was happy to be paid in GBP and as I mention when doing the conversion today, it's about $40 less than the dollar equivalent. 

Non-Immigrant visa - H1B

Feb 2001. Enter the US

Nov 2004. Married to USC

May 2006. Depart US

Non-immigrant visa - L1A

Dec 2013. Enter US

AOS

May 2016. AOS submission.

June 2017. 10 year GC received

N400

March 22nd. N400 submission window opens

March 23rd. N400 submitted online

March 24th. Everything now visible in N400 online dashboard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I would not worry.  But I would start paying her what she is owed since she is not playing ball.  Not sure why you are asking her to notarize. A simple email from her that she considers you in compliance with the child support agreement would have been fine.  

When I did my N-400 I did not include the financial settlement agreement in the application. 

I did come to the interview with records of my alimony payments.  

I made a verbal declaration that I was in compliance. The IO didn’t ask for my records. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.