pradobbt

HELP N400 Citizenship Interview approved but got a letter for another interview today

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 5/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, pradobbt said:

I filed based on 5 years rule. My interview was smooth and got recommended for approval on the spot. The online status changed to In line to be scheduled for oath ceremony 14 days ago. Today, I got a letter in the my mail Telling me to come for another interview with the same officer that approved my case. This letter did not show up in my USCIS account and my status did not change online from what it was 14 days ago

The letter states that:

Please come to the office shown below at the time and place indicated in connection to an official matter

DATE:

Office Location

Officer:

REASON FOR APPOINTMENT: Application for Naturalization (N400)

Please bring the following to the interview:

This letter, your current passport , any expired passports, and your PR card

Evidence of your previous marital union such as bank account statements, jointbills,bills in your name and in your spouse name, leases, last 3 years Tax Return, joint life/health/auto insurance policies, employment emergency contact paper work,pictures of you and your spouse, copies of phone conversions, copies of receipts for tripa and any other documentation you deem relevant to provideproof of your marital union

Please not I was married from 2013 till 2016 Divorced in 2016. Has anyone experienced this before? I am really worried.

This looks more likely as error to me. I suggest still be prepared as much as normal interview. 

N-400 Application Timeline :

Application sent via mail - April 15th  (Field office Dallas, TX)

NOA Receipt date - April 17th

Biometrics receipt - April 22th (appointment scheduled for May 14th)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Interview completed & Case approved - November 17th

Naturalization Ceremony (in January 2020 - waiting on notice)

• 2 weeks later...

I had my interview sometimes last week and it was a drill of written testimony. Before he started the interview, I introduced my Clerical Amendment letter based on the date error I talked about in my previous post. Amendment like this are backed by the CFR Title 8 Chapter 1 (C) Part 334.5 A clerical can be made to an N400 application provided the oath as not be taken. I made him sign that the original copy was received and I kept this letter. He went ahead and made changes on my N400 form on his computer and I signed the change made. 

He started questioning me about my previous marriage. The questioning were more of AOS interview. Like How we met, How long did we date for?Why did we get married? How did you propose to her?When and where did we get married?How the relationship broke apart? He was more interested about timelines and dates which I answered truthfully and based on my recollection of events. He asked for more more marital evidence from the date of filing mt ROC to the date of divorce. Which I gave to him. I had more than enough documentation. Based on his supervisor recommendation, He just took the Dental and Health insurance, Emergency contact notification and 401k Beneficiary for those dates which was my ex-wife. He told me he was just 3 month old at the job which I suspected due to the fact that he could not make any decision before going to consult his supervisor. 

My online status still show approved and Inline to be scheduled for Oath ceremony. However , my second interview letter did not show up online. I called USCIS number and fortunately I spoke to a level 2 officer which he confirmed that the approval was not yet changed and more documents was uploaded to my profile which was still under review.

1 minute ago, pradobbt said:

I had my interview sometimes last week and it was a drill of written testimony. Before he started the interview, I introduced my Clerical Amendment letter based on the date error I talked about in my previous post. Amendment like this are backed by the CFR Title 8 Chapter 1 (C) Part 334.5 A clerical can be made to an N400 application provided the oath as not be taken. I made him sign that the original copy was received and I kept this letter. He went ahead and made changes on my N400 form on his computer and I signed the change made. 

He started questioning me about my previous marriage. The questioning were more of AOS interview. Like How we met, How long did we date for?Why did we get married? How did you propose to her?When and where did we get married?How the relationship broke apart? He was more interested about timelines and dates which I answered truthfully and based on my recollection of events. He asked for more more marital evidence from the date of filing mt ROC to the date of divorce. Which I gave to him. I had more than enough documentation. Based on his supervisor recommendation, He just took the Dental and Health insurance, Emergency contact notification and 401k Beneficiary for those dates which was my ex-wife. He told me he was just 3 month old at the job which I suspected due to the fact that he could not make any decision before going to consult his supervisor. 

My online status still show approved and Inline to be scheduled for Oath ceremony. However , my second interview letter did not show up online. I called USCIS number and fortunately I spoke to a level 2 officer which he confirmed that the approval was not yet changed and more documents was uploaded to my profile which was still under review.

I was told told  to check back in 30 days if I do not hear back from the them

13 hours ago, pradobbt said:

He started questioning me about my previous marriage. The questioning were more of AOS interview. Like How we met, How long did we date for?Why did we get married? How did you propose to her?When and where did we get married?How the relationship broke apart? He was more interested about timelines and dates which I answered truthfully and based on my recollection of events. "He asked for more marital evidence from the date of filing my ROC to the date of divorce". Which I gave to him. I had more than enough documentation. Based on his supervisor recommendation, He just took the Dental and Health insurance, Emergency contact notification and 401k Beneficiary for those dates which was my ex-wife. He told me he was just 3 month old at the job which I suspected due to the fact that he could not make any decision before going to consult his supervisor. 

There is definitely more to your story. From what you have mentioned, I have gathered, that since you were married only for three years and the IO was emphasizing on your ROC timeline from application to divorce, you would have instantly had gotten a  divorce either while your ROC was in process, or right after it was approved. That rose a red flag while they were going through your application. 

What is your nationality? And being married for only three years and getting a divorce during your ROC process could be considered a red flag to begin with unless you had strong reasons behind it. There could be several other reasons they reached to such level of suspicion.

However, if that is the case, there is nothing in USCIS law that recommends you not to divorce anytime your relationship is not working. They will just scrutinize the application. But the date error I made triggered the more scruntiny. It was part of questions he planned asking. Since I tackled it before he started, there was nothing else to ask.

21 hours ago, pradobbt said:

Well, that might be the case. We got a divorce 3 months after my ROC approval

Did you file for divorce while your ROC was pending approval? Because that's something you had to notify them about if that's the case. Did you have an interview for ROC?

You're right, there is no law that requires you to stay in an unhappy marriage. They cannot really scrutinize you just because you got divorced, but what mistakes in dates did you make on your application, that triggered such suspicion on their end? 

1 hour ago, Sam Mirza said:

Did you file for divorce while your ROC was pending approval? Because that's something you had to notify them about if that's the case. Did you have an interview for ROC?

You're right, there is no law that requires you to stay in an unhappy marriage. They cannot really scrutinize you just because you got divorced, but what mistakes in dates did you make on your application, that triggered such suspicion on their end? 

Let me give you the time line. 

ROC approved April 2016

Separated and filed Divorce June 2016. 

Divorced finalized end of July.

Mistakes in dates:

Marital residence: 07/2013 to 06/2016

Mistake on N400: 07/2013 to 06/2015

Filed for ROC from marital residence on 09/2015.

The error made it look liked I was not living in my marital home when I filed RoC.. I hope you get the picture now. That error was corrected before he questioned it.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, pradobbt said:

Let me give you the time line. 

ROC approved April 2016

Separated and filed Divorce June 2016. 

Divorced finalized end of July.

Mistakes in dates:

Marital residence: 07/2013 to 06/2016

Mistake on N400: 07/2013 to 06/2015

Filed for ROC from marital residence on 09/2015.

The error made it look liked I was not living in my marital home when I filed RoC.. I hope you get the picture now. That error was corrected before he questioned it.

So the error on your n400 application triggered all this, hmm. Alright, all the best and keep us posted. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Finally , my N400 got re-approved and placed back inline for oath ceremony. I just got an update that I have been scheduled for oath, but I am waiting for the letter to show up .

Now, I am almost at the finish line. 

On 6/1/2019 at 5:28 PM, Sam Mirza said:

So the error on your n400 application triggered all this, hmm. Alright, all the best and keep us posted. Thanks

Timeline.JPG

Edited by pradobbt

On 6/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, pradobbt said:

Finally , my N400 got re-approved and placed back inline for oath ceremony. I just got an update that I have been scheduled for oath, but I am waiting for the letter to show up .

Now, I am almost at the finish line. 

Timeline.JPG

Aha! Great news, congrats to you! When is your oath ceremony? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.