Highmystic

AOS 2nd Physical needed? Yea or Nay?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been trying to find something definitive on this about the one year expiration of a physical for K1 visa and others.   Here is what I find googling and on other locations:  (Quotes)

"Results of medical examinations are good for  one year before you file I-485.  After you file I-485,  they are valid forever as long as I-485 is pending."

"No medical exam is necessity again as long as they apply for adjustment of status within one year from the previous medical exam".

Now, to me, this means my wife had her physical in Dec 2017 in the Philippines,  and arrived in the US in Jan 2018, and we married in Feb 2018, and filed for AOS with an NOA date of 3/30/18.  Now I ask, is the above correct or is it not?  I have not found anything on the USCIS site for this but I am chatting with a VJ member who said they were told their Medical exam passed the 1 year and had to re do it all again.   Just trying to get it all figured out in advance. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

I've been trying to find something definitive on this about the one year expiration of a physical for K1 visa and others.   Here is what I find googling and on other locations:  (Quotes)

"Results of medical examinations are good for  one year before you file I-485.  After you file I-485,  they are valid forever as long as I-485 is pending."

"No medical exam is necessity again as long as they apply for adjustment of status within one year from the previous medical exam".

Now, to me, this means my wife had her physical in Dec 2017 in the Philippines,  and arrived in the US in Jan 2018, and we married in Feb 2018, and filed for AOS with an NOA date of 3/30/18.  Now I ask, is the above correct or is it not?  I have not found anything on the USCIS site for this but I am chatting with a VJ member who said they were told their Medical exam passed the 1 year and had to re do it all again.   Just trying to get it all figured out in advance. 

In my case, my medical was on July 2017, I arrived to US on September 2017, and married on October 2017. Filed for AOS on December 2017. I just had my interview on last Thursday, may 2nd. I got my approval letter, another medical wasn't needed. I believe it depends on the officer. I had brought I-693 instructions and uscis manual with me showing this exception for K1 in case officer is not experienced or request another medical. But, it is just my experience, I believe it is highly dependent on the officer.

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Huckleberry&Koala said:

In my case, my medical was on July 2017, I arrived to US on September 2017, and married on October 2017. Filed for AOS on December 2017. I just had my interview on last Thursday, may 2nd. I got my approval letter, another medical wasn't needed. I believe it depends on the officer. I had brought I-693 instructions and uscis manual with me showing this exception for K1 in case officer is not experienced or request another medical. But, it is just my experience, I believe it is highly dependent on the officer.

That's good!  Thanks for commenting.  I was thinking that on the same lines, about bringing in information just in case.  I would think all staff should be up to date on information but perhaps not.  Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:39 PM, Highmystic said:

That's good!  Thanks for commenting.  I was thinking that on the same lines, about bringing in information just in case.  I would think all staff should be up to date on information but perhaps not.  Thanks again.

Hey, I am sort of in the same situation as you. My wife had her medical done in her home country May of 2018. We submitted her adjustment of status package in October of 2018 (5 months after her medical). Her adjustment of status interview will be August of 2019. That means her adjustment of status interview will be over 1 year after her initial medical. Did they ask you guys anything during your interview or was it a non-issue? I don't know if I should pay for a new medical for my wife when it might not even be required? Please let me know! Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, barashka said:

Hey, I am sort of in the same situation as you. My wife had her medical done in her home country May of 2018. We submitted her adjustment of status package in October of 2018 (5 months after her medical). Her adjustment of status interview will be August of 2019. That means her adjustment of status interview will be over 1 year after her initial medical. Did they ask you guys anything during your interview or was it a non-issue? I don't know if I should pay for a new medical for my wife when it might not even be required? Please let me know! Thanks.

According to their official website,  A K1 visa holder who has a file date within 1 year of the overseas physical does not need to redo the physical stateside.  There are a couple exceptions, and one is if the beneficiary had a certain type of "flag", the beneficiary may need a followup.   It is best to actually have a short print out with the above highlighted with the printed link and all, to show if there is any problem.  We did not.  She was surprised although, since we included my wife's physical report and receipt, as well as her vaccination records.  We took EVERYTHING and ANYTHING along, and put it in two folders,  A was copies of all the originals in folder B.  She never asked to see any originals.  She kept a 4 sheets of papers of us with my and her family, and most all copies of out joint names on stuff, car titles, registrations,  bank statements (only the 1st sheets with both our names on them, and all that good stuff.     I will look later and dig out the site link for you to print out and take with you... just in case the interviewer did not read their own handbook.   

12 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

According to their official website,  A K1 visa holder who has a file date within 1 year of the overseas physical does not need to redo the physical stateside.  There are a couple exceptions, and one is if the beneficiary had a certain type of "flag", the beneficiary may need a followup.   It is best to actually have a short print out with the above highlighted with the printed link and all, to show if there is any problem.  We did not.  She was surprised although, since we included my wife's physical report and receipt, as well as her vaccination records.  We took EVERYTHING and ANYTHING along, and put it in two folders,  A was copies of all the originals in folder B.  She never asked to see any originals.  She kept a 4 sheets of papers of us with my and her family, and most all copies of out joint names on stuff, car titles, registrations,  bank statements (only the 1st sheets with both our names on them, and all that good stuff.     I will look later and dig out the site link for you to print out and take with you... just in case the interviewer did not read their own handbook.   

So you guys did not repeat a physical in the United States? By physical report, receipt, and vaccination records, do you mean the ones from your wife's home country?

Timeline
42 minutes ago, barashka said:

So you guys did not repeat a physical in the United States? By physical report, receipt, and vaccination records, do you mean the ones from your wife's home country?

No on the repeat physical,  2nd question,  yes,

1 minute ago, Highmystic said:

No on the repeat physical,  2nd question,  yes,

Interesting. Thanks for your response. Well, maybe the worst that can happen is they request evidence asking for an updated physical which we can submit after the interview. It would slightly delay my wife from obtaining her Green Card. I honestly don't see them asking for an updated physical because she adjusted from a K-1 and she also submitted her adjustment of status packet 5 months after her medical in Moscow (which is well within the 12 month time limit to submit). I think we should be good. I will bring the USCIS manual just in case and show them their own manual in regards to the I-693 and medical for K-1 applicants, aha!

Timeline
1 hour ago, barashka said:

Interesting. Thanks for your response. Well, maybe the worst that can happen is they request evidence asking for an updated physical which we can submit after the interview. It would slightly delay my wife from obtaining her Green Card. I honestly don't see them asking for an updated physical because she adjusted from a K-1 and she also submitted her adjustment of status packet 5 months after her medical in Moscow (which is well within the 12 month time limit to submit). I think we should be good. I will bring the USCIS manual just in case and show them their own manual in regards to the I-693 and medical for K-1 applicants, aha!

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]
K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical
examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical
examination, and:
• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or

Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.