LOve17

Registered Nursing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I had a few questions regarding registering with the board of nurses in California on a K1 visa. When I enter the USA on a K1 visa can I apply to the California board of nurses while I wait for my combo card to arrive? I know it takes a few months for the whole process to go through and a few months for my combo card to arrive to be able to work. I wouldn't be working, just applying for my licence so that I would have both my licence and authorization to work at the same time. Is this allowed? 

Thanks!

Edited by LOve17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LOve17 said:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I had a few questions regarding registering with the board of nurses in California on a K1 visa. When I enter the USA on a K1 visa can I apply to the California board of nurses while I wait for my combo card to arrive? I know it takes a few months for the whole process to go through and a few months for my combo card to arrive to be able to work. I wouldn't be working, just applying for my licence so that I would have both my licence and authorization to work at the same time. Is this allowed? 

Thanks!

Of course,  registering and applying are not remotely considered working 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, LOve17 said:

Thanks!

I am actually doing something similar. Aside from meeting the curriculum prerequisites, you will need either a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number, which is a state requirement for tax enforcement purposes. You will need this in order to obtain your license.

I filed my taxes jointly with my wife this year to obtain an ITIN (at a small cost) in order to facilitate my own medical license process. I was told this process can take up to 6-12 months. My plan is to apply for a medical license as soon as I obtain my ITIN so that I will be able to look for work once I obtain my CR-1.

Edited by ADW & JOP

Timeline
4 hours ago, ADW & JOP said:

I am actually doing something similar. Aside from meeting the curriculum prerequisites, you will need either a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number, which is a state requirement for tax enforcement purposes. You will need this in order to obtain your license.

I filed my taxes jointly with my wife this year to obtain an ITIN (at a small cost) in order to facilitate my own medical license process. I was told this process can take up to 6-12 months. My plan is to apply for a medical license as soon as I obtain my ITIN so that I will be able to look for work once I obtain my CR-1.

Sadly I won't be able to obtain my SSN until I enter the USA on my k1 visa. That's good to know for anyone already married and looking to obtain licensure in the medical field. Thanks for sharing, good luck with your process! 

Edited by LOve17

Timeline
9 hours ago, databit said:

Not that simple....https://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/education/edp-i-35.pdf

I just graduated this year and I've looked into everything with my academic advisors at my university in Canada. I know many people that have graduated from my university that have obtained jobs on a TN visa, therefore I should be fine. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by LOve17

Filed: Timeline
15 hours ago, LOve17 said:

I just graduated this year and I've looked into everything with my academic advisors at my university in Canada. I know many people that have graduated from my university that have obtained jobs on a TN visa, therefore I should be fine. Thanks for sharing.

California has regulations higher than the other states.

Also, hard to get a job as an RN without 1 year licensed experienced in your own country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.