Jump to content
Frappuchino

$27,000 Enough?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Is $27,000 enough to be a joint sponsor for only 2 people?

According to the poverty guidelines, it is enough but I see some people being told to get a new joint sponsor even though they meet the guidelines. Considering that there would be no other sponsor to ask if they don't accept it, is it better to wait until next year when my spouse makes enough and has a tax return to prove it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frappuchino said:

Is $27,000 enough to be a joint sponsor for only 2 people?

According to the poverty guidelines, it is enough but I see some people being told to get a new joint sponsor even though they meet the guidelines. Considering that there would be no other sponsor to ask if they don't accept it, is it better to wait until next year when my spouse makes enough and has a tax return to prove it?

 

It can be enough, but it is up to the determination of USCIS and all to decide if they feel the person being sponsored would become a public charge or not.

 

Many have been told find a co-sponsor or new co-sponsor because they didn't feel the income they made would be sufficient.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gif     giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

 

It can be enough, but it is up to the determination of USCIS and all to decide if they feel the person being sponsored would become a public charge or not.

 

Many have been told find a co-sponsor or new co-sponsor because they didn't feel the income they made would be sufficient.

Yes, that is what I‘m scared of. My spouse is making way above the guideline right now but it won‘t show up until next year‘s tax return. If we get denied there is no other sponsor :S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frappuchino said:

Yes, that is what I‘m scared of. My spouse is making way above the guideline right now but it won‘t show up until next year‘s tax return. If we get denied there is no other sponsor :S

Tax returns show the past earnings.  Pay stubs show the current earnings.   That is why you take both to the interview.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul & Mary said:

Tax returns show the past earnings.  Pay stubs show the current earnings.   That is why you take both to the interview.

Last year‘s tax return was not enough and current earnings have not lasted long enough so I need a joint sponsor. If they RFE us to find a new joint sponsor due to current joint sponsor making $27,000, we wouldn't be able to provide one :(  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Frappuchino said:

Last year‘s tax return was not enough and current earnings have not lasted long enough so I need a joint sponsor. If they RFE us to find a new joint sponsor due to current joint sponsor making $27,000, we wouldn't be able to provide one :(  

You should be fine with a joint sponsor at $27k + main sponsor's current pay stubs (and therefore current year salary that meets the guidelines had it been earned in the previous tax year). Even though not much time had passed since the job began, the two together are highly unlikely to be a problem. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, eckoin said:

You should be fine with a joint sponsor at $27k + main sponsor's current pay stubs (and therefore current year salary that meets the guidelines had it been earned in the previous tax year). Even though not much time had passed since the job began, the two together are highly unlikely to be a problem. 

Oh, that's great, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...