Nervoustraveller

Do I need i-129f for the interview or not?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

So i am very nearly at the end of the K1 process, two days away from my embassy interview! 

My medical was last week (all clear!) which should have now arrived at the embassy, and I have a checklist going of what to bring to the interview itself. I'm just getting myself a little worked up because I thought I was all prepared, but I'm now finding a bunch of contradictory info on whether I need a copy of i-129f or not. I don't have a copy of it but I have emailed my lawyer to request one. 

Can anyone clear up if I will need to have that with me? Just the approval, or the full form? I have a letter I received from the embassy stating that they've received my approved petition, but I had to give the NVC approval letter to the folks at the medical as proof. I'm pretty sure I'm getting worried over nothing but some clarification would be much appreciated :)

here's everything I have and am bringing with me:

• passport
  • DS-160 confirmation
  • Yatri appointment confirmation email
  • Embassy letter that states they've received the petition
  • 4x visa photos
  • birth certificate
  • ACRO police certificate
  • I-134 and supporting documents from my sponsors
  • further evidence (photos, travel docs, past lease, gift receipts)
  • fiance's declaration and both our letters of intent

So, am I missing anything folks? 

Edited by Nervoustraveller

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Things you need:

• passport
  • DS-160 confirmation
  •  appointment confirmation email
  •  
  • 1x US passport size photo
  • birth certificate
  •  
  • fiance's declaration and both our letters of intent (only if petition was approved 4+ months ago. If so then it's only required from the US fiancé.)

That's assuming you have no name changes, military service, prior marriages which require evidence.

No copy of the full petition or approval notice is required. They have that in the file. 

Edited by Wuozopo

55 minutes ago, Nervoustraveller said:

Hello!

So i am very nearly at the end of the K1 process, two days away from my embassy interview! 

My medical was last week (all clear!) which should have now arrived at the embassy, and I have a checklist going of what to bring to the interview itself. I'm just getting myself a little worked up because I thought I was all prepared, but I'm now finding a bunch of contradictory info on whether I need a copy of i-129f or not. I don't have a copy of it but I have emailed my lawyer to request one. 

Can anyone clear up if I will need to have that with me? Just the approval, or the full form? I have a letter I received from the embassy stating that they've received my approved petition, but I had to give the NVC approval letter to the folks at the medical as proof. I'm pretty sure I'm getting worried over nothing but some clarification would be much appreciated :)

• passport
  • DS-160 confirmation
  • 4x visa photos
  • birth certificate

Wuozopo as always has beat me to it, but as he said there's no requirement for it. I didn't have the fiance's declaration but had taken additional letters of intent but they didn't request these. 

But as always say, it's always nice to take a little more should you end up needing anything else :) 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline
1 minute ago, LukeU said:

Wuozopo as always has beat me to it, but as he said there's no requirement for it. I didn't have the fiance's declaration but had taken additional letters of intent but they didn't request these. 

But as always say, it's always nice to take a little more should you end up needing anything else :) 

thanks both of you! that's such a load off my mind :) definitely better to be a bit over prepared!

1 hour ago, Nervoustraveller said:

Hello!

• passport
  • DS-160 confirmation
  • 4x visa photos
  • birth certificate

My interview is in two days as well, shared excitement! 🤗 How do you know medical is all clear if you can't open the envelope? 🤔

About the I-129F, I've received a copy of mine with a stamp that says approved from the embassy a couple weeks ago. 

Regarding photos - I was asked to bring 2 passport photos (5X5 cm/2X2 inch).

Good luck! :)

Timeline
39 minutes ago, LukeU said:

I didn't have the fiance's declaration but had taken additional letters of intent but they didn't request these. 

I don't even know what a "fiancé declaration" is. 

For the record (to the OP), your embassy provides this information on their required document page. Since you haven't done a timeline, we don't know if it applies to you or not.

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

If the visa interview is scheduled more than 4 months from the date the petition is approved, the applicant is required to provide an original letter from the petitioner, confirming that they both remain legally free to marry and that they intend to do so within 90 days of the applicant’s entry to the United States.  There is no requirement that the letter be notarized.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Erin86 said:

How do you know medical is all clear if you can't open the envelope? 🤔

You have an envelope from the clinic in London??

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Erin86 said:

My interview is in two days as well, shared excitement! 🤗 How do you know medical is all clear if you can't open the envelope? 🤔

About the I-129F, I've received a copy of mine with a stamp that says approved from the embassy a couple weeks ago. 

ah to be fair i'm mostly speculating about the medical, sorry for the confusing phrasing! But the doctor I saw said at the end that everything seems good, plus I had recent tests for STIs for birth control reasons so I know I'm good on that front.

Yeah everything says two photos, some people on here said they only needed one. I'm bringing four just because! prefer to have too much with me haha.

Good luck to you too! :D 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I don't even know what a "fiancé declaration" is. 

For the record (to the OP), your embassy provides this information on their required document page. Since you haven't done a timeline, we don't know if it applies to you or not.

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

If the visa interview is scheduled more than 4 months from the date the petition is approved, the applicant is required to provide an original letter from the petitioner, confirming that they both remain legally free to marry and that they intend to do so within 90 days of the applicant’s entry to the United States.  There is no requirement that the letter be notarized.

The declaration I'm talking about was submitted right at the beginning of the process with the i-129f, where my fiance had written basically an outline of our relationship history and his intentions to marry me. I think we're right before that 4 month cut off (May 6th, appointment is May 3rd) so we should be fine, but I might ask my lawyer about that to be sure.

At this point I'm fairly sure it's unnecessary, but I'm pretty much of the mind that it's worth bringing whatever I have anyway!

Edited by Nervoustraveller

17 minutes ago, Erin86 said:

@Erin86 what envelope are you talking about? I was under the impression the closed envelope is received with the passport and visa once approved and to be taken to the POE? Also, can you clarify which embassy you're filing at? I have my London embassy appointment next week and have not received a copy of the i129F and have not seen anyone else going through London receive this either

Timeline
Just now, KirstyMcDonald said:

@Erin86 what envelope are you talking about? I was under the impression the closed envelope is received with the passport and visa once approved and to be taken to the POE? Also, can you clarify which embassy you're filing at? I have my London embassy appointment next week and have not received a copy of the i129F and have not seen anyone else going through London receive this either

Yeah I believe you're correct that an envelope doesn't come into play until we receive passport/visa back, then is given at POE. I don't have a copy of i-129f either,  but some searches I'd seen said a copy may be needed which is why I posted to make sure. But apparently that is just for embassies that rely on things being sent by post. Since London embassy mostly deals with the paperwork electronically, we don't need a copy of I-129f :)

2 minutes ago, Nervoustraveller said:

Yeah I believe you're correct that an envelope doesn't come into play until we receive passport/visa back, then is given at POE. I don't have a copy of i-129f either,  but some searches I'd seen said a copy may be needed which is why I posted to make sure. But apparently that is just for embassies that rely on things being sent by post. Since London embassy mostly deals with the paperwork electronically, we don't need a copy of I-129f :)

That was my understanding, too, so glad we're on the same page. I think if you have everything that is listed on the US embassy London's website (which doesn't say anything about I129F) then you'll be good! Best of luck!

Timeline
Just now, KirstyMcDonald said:

That was my understanding, too, so glad we're on the same page. I think if you have everything that is listed on the US embassy London's website (which doesn't say anything about I129F) then you'll be good! Best of luck!

That's a relief. Good luck to you too! :D

11 minutes ago, KirstyMcDonald said:

Sorry for the confusion! I am filing in Israel and they have sent me the I-129F although I didn't see it required anywhere... Regarding medical - I was given an envelope I was told not to open and bring to my interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.