Jump to content
Delman

copy of PR card for US citizen?

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm a US citizen living in Canada with my spouse. I have Canadian PR card. 

I'm preparing I-130, and was wondering if i should explain our situation ( USC living abroad )? if yes, should it be explained in the cover letter or separately?

Also, should i include the copy of my PR card or drivers license to show that I'm living legally in canada?

thank you in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Delman said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm a US citizen living in Canada with my spouse. I have Canadian PR card. 

I'm preparing I-130, and was wondering if i should explain our situation ( USC living abroad )? if yes, should it be explained in the cover letter or separately?

Also, should i include the copy of my PR card or drivers license to show that I'm living legally in canada?

thank you in advance

there is no need to explain but you need to make sure by the NVC stage you are able to prove domicile in the USA, or intent to reestablish living in USA, with a plan in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, purem4g1c said:

also dont forget about your affidavit of support you'll need 21K yearly salary, not sure Canadian income works if you do work in Canada, i believe they want to see us soil income

I’m not working now I’m a home stay mom. My husband (beneficiary) works in Canada. I’m not planning on working in USA as well. We are planning on using total assets. Is cash (125% of poverty level) in our join account be good enough for affidavit of support? Or would we need a co-sponsor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Delman said:

I’m not working now I’m a home stay mom. My husband (beneficiary) works in Canada. I’m not planning on working in USA as well. We are planning on using total assets. Is cash (125% of poverty level) in our join account be good enough for affidavit of support? Or would we need a co-sponsor? 

You will need 3x the amount of poverty guide line to satisfy with cash. so 21k*3 which will be 63k USD, because they want to see 3 years worth of income at 21k.

 

Also I should mention if you decide to use a co-sponsor your co-sponsor will have to be a US citizen, not Canadian citizen and have to be willing to give you a supporting documents along the lines of

 

1) Letter from Employer stating that he/she is currently employed

2) Tax Returns for 2016, 2017, 2018

3) W-2's for previous years

4) Pay Stubs from his company

5) Cash assets if their income doesn't reach the 125% poverty guideline (pictures of bank statements)

 

They should also know that they will be responsible for you for up to 10 years upon entering USA if you decide to get government benefits from the US government, the government could sue your sponsor! You could research what a "Public charge" is so you can be sure if you decide to take help from the government you know what will cause problems for your sponsor and what won't.

 

Good luck~

Edited by purem4g1c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purem4g1c said:

You will need 3x the amount of poverty guide line to satisfy with cash. so 21k*3 which will be 63k USD, because they want to see 3 years worth of income at 21k.

 

Also I should mention if you decide to use a co-sponsor your co-sponsor will have to be a US citizen, not Canadian citizen and have to be willing to give you a supporting documents along the lines of

 

1) Letter from Employer stating that he/she is currently employed

2) Tax Returns for 2016, 2017, 2018

3) W-2's for previous years

4) Pay Stubs from his company

5) Cash assets if their income doesn't reach the 125% poverty guideline (pictures of bank statements)

 

They should also know that they will be responsible for you for up to 10 years upon entering USA if you decide to get government benefits from the US government, the government could sue your sponsor! You could research what a "Public charge" is so you can be sure if you decide to take help from the government you know what will cause problems for your sponsor and what won't.

 

Good luck~

Thank you so much! It was very helpful! Do you know Is 63k for the household of 2? If we have 2 kids? How much would it be? We are comfortable with assets in joint account. 

 

Thank you for information regarding co sponsor. 

 

Did I understand correctly if we have enough assets and petitioner doesn’t/won’t have a job, we don’t need co sponsor? 

 

Thank you again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Delman said:

Thank you so much! It was very helpful! Do you know Is 63k for the household of 2? If we have 2 kids? How much would it be? We are comfortable with assets in joint account. 

 

Thank you for information regarding co sponsor. 

 

Did I understand correctly if we have enough assets and petitioner doesn’t/won’t have a job, we don’t need co sponsor? 

 

Thank you again 

Hi there at the bottom I posted the the 125% poverty guideline chart. If you want a family size of 4 people then I imagine it would be $32,188*3 which would be ($96,564) in cash assets in your bank account, I believe stocks and bonds etc work also. A house does not count.

 

As for your question regarding co sponsor: As long as you're using a marriage visa and not a fiance visa(k-1 visa) you wouldn't need a sponsor if you have enough cash in assets, but as far as I know you need the cash to be in the bank account for months before the interview, they don't want to see you throw a lump of cash right before the interview. :)

 

Keep in mind it's all in USD and not CAD ~

 

 

 

image.png.a3111dbd44bf3bab2562344c0f30448b.png

Edited by purem4g1c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, purem4g1c said:

Hi there at the bottom I posted the the 125% poverty guideline chart. If you want a family size of 4 people then I imagine it would be $32,188*3 which would be ($96,564) in cash assets in your bank account, I believe stocks and bonds etc work also. A house does not count.

 

As for your question regarding co sponsor: As long as you're using a marriage visa and not a fiance visa(k-1 visa) you wouldn't need a sponsor if you have enough cash in assets, but as far as I know you need the cash to be in the bank account for months before the interview, they don't want to see you throw a lump of cash right before the interview. :)

 

Keep in mind it's all in USD and not CAD ~

 

 

 

image.png.a3111dbd44bf3bab2562344c0f30448b.png

Thank you sooo much! You’ve been extremely helpful! The whole process seems very complicated but this forum is amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each year the I-864 requirements go up.

After sending the I-130 and supporting documents i suggest reading the I-864 and instructions very throughly.  Also refer to the I-864p for the poverty guidelines

Your joint sponsor can send tax return transcripts vs tax returns and that way can eliminate the w2s and the household size will only include their family and dependents plus the immigrant (your spouse.)

You will always be the primary sponsor and will need to file an I-864 even if you do not meet the poverty guidelines.

I assume your children already have their CRBA and US passports if they were born in Canada?


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Domicile will still be an issue for you even though you're a SAHM.  Because of that it'll actually be harder since you do not have an independent source of income so moving ahead like Montreal prefers will not be easy.  I hope you have some family you can reside with?


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Each year the I-864 requirements go up.

After sending the I-130 and supporting documents i suggest reading the I-864 and instructions very throughly.  Also refer to the I-864p for the poverty guidelines

Your joint sponsor can send tax return transcripts vs tax returns and that way can eliminate the w2s and the household size will only include their family and dependents plus the immigrant (your spouse.)

You will always be the primary sponsor and will need to file an I-864 even if you do not meet the poverty guidelines.

I assume your children already have their CRBA and US passports if they were born in Canada?

Thank you for your help, even though we still didn’t send I-130, I already started to read about affidavit of support and domicile. 

 

Im confused if a person can be approved by ONLY showing liquid assets (without a job). 

 

And also should assets be in Petitioner’s name or can it be joint assets with beneficiary or just in beneficiary’s name?

 

Yes, our kids got CRBA and us passports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

Domicile will still be an issue for you even though you're a SAHM.  Because of that it'll actually be harder since you do not have an independent source of income so moving ahead like Montreal prefers will not be easy.  I hope you have some family you can reside with?

My husband’s brother lives in California and we can stay at their place at the beginning. I was wondering if it’s possible to get a lease agreement if you “rent”/stay at your relatives house? 

 

I was was wondering if it’s a good idea to get like drivers license, bank statements for NVC and when we get interview date go to California and get a lease agreement from brother, phone, may be car or medical insurance and bring all those documents for interview. 

I guess my question is it enough time to get all these documents between the notice about the interview date and actual interview. 

 

This is process is overwhelming... 🤦‍♀️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...