shanna

Migrating elsewhere after removing obtaining 10 year GC

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I meant to set the topic as "Migrating elsewhere after obtaining 10 year GC" Not "Migrating elsewhere after removing obtaining 10 year GC"

Hey everyone!

I've been away from VJ for 2 years and it's nice to remember what a helpful community we have here!! :dance: Anyways, I have a question. My husband and I are discussing to move outside the US either to Canada or Australia as permanent residents. We are currently pregnant and will have the baby by the end of the year. So we are planning to move in about 2 years' time. I am about to receive my 10 year GC anytime this week. I would also like to very much retain my citizenship in my birth country, Singapore.

1) Will the baby's status as a USC be affected in any way at all?

2) Will I be able to return to the US to live if we choose to do so in the future?

3) Has anyone done this before where you guys moved to live outside the US and not in the spouse's home country?

Thanks in advance!

Sha and Brent

Edited by shanna

Our K1 Fiance/e Visa Journey

July 16 2003: NOA 1 NSC

Dec 12 2003: NOA 2 NSC

Jan 02 2004: NVC's receipt of petition

Jan 09 2004: Packet # 3 from Singapore American Embassy

Feb 05 2004: Embassy receives completed checklist

Feb 09 2004: Notice of Interview Appointment for Feb 27 04

Feb 27 2004: Interview a success. Visa Pending Australian

Fingerprint check

Mar 15 2004: K1 Visa Issued in Passport

Mar 16 2004: Arrived in Seattle!! :-)

Apr 03 2004: Wedding

May 17 2004: Mailed in AOS and EAD to Seattle Dist Office

May 25 2004: Received receipt for AOS and EAD

July 26 2004: Notice for EAD appointment arrives

Aug 09 2004: Processed and received EAD at Seattle Dist Off

Aug 10 2004: Received letter of appointment for AOS Interview

Sept 08 2004: AOS interview & Green Card Approved

Jun 14 2006: Submitted I751 for removal of conditions

July 31 2007: Received 10 year Green card AT LAST! (Of course, not before going thru tons of heartache and contacting USCIS for it as they had sent it to the wrong address despite acknowledging a change of addy form from me sigh!)

1) Will the baby's status as a USC be affected in any way at all?

2) Will I be able to return to the US to live if we choose to do so in the future?

3) Has anyone done this before where you guys moved to live outside the US and not in the spouse's home country?

1) Your husband is a US citizen, isn't he, who has lived in the US most of his life? Then the baby has a right to get US citizenship through application (or it even has US citizenship at birth) wherever it is born.

2) If you leave for a shorter time and intend to keep your status as legal resident, you can return. If you leave for longer (I think it's more than a year), your status expires (you might keep it though with special permission if you stay outside the US not longer than two years, I think). Afterwards, you would have to apply for a Green Card again. Only your own US citizenship can guarantee you to be able to return - are US and Singapore citizenship compatible?

3) I haven't done it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After you receive your 10 year card, apply for US citizenship. It should fit into your 2 year time frame quite nicely. Then, if you choose to emigrate to another country or live abroad or in Canada for a while (make sure you check out Canadian residency requirements) you will be allowed to return to the US. If you decide to live in another country while still a permanent resident of the US there is a good likelihood USCIS will consider that you have abandoned your US residency and you will not be allowed to return to live to the US without going through the visa process all over again. I don't know if Singapore will allow you to retain citizenship when you also accept citizenship in another country. That is something you need to ask the Singaporean consulate or embassy. There are many US citizens who still hold citizenship in their birth country or another country so if Singapore allows it, you don't have to give up your Singaporean citizenship.

If your child is born in the US - and it sounds like that will be the case - he/she will be a US citizen. As well, since his/her father is a US citizen, even if he/she were born outside of the US, he/she could have derivative citizenship through your husband. Living in another country would not affect the baby's US citizenship and he/she could return to the US. Your right to live here is the one you need to protect - US citizenship is the only guaranteed option.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hmmmmm.... plenty of food for thought! Yeah Singapore does not allow for dual citizenship and yes, hubby is USC.

Fingerprint check

July 31 2007: Received 10 year Green card AT LAST! (Of course, not before going thru tons of heartache and contacting USCIS for it as they had sent it to the wrong address despite acknowledging a change of addy form from me sigh!)

Would they actually take away your status as Singaporian (sorry don't know if that is the correct term), even if you became a USC?

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Would they actually take away your status as Singaporian (sorry don't know if that is the correct term), even if you became a USC?

I'm wondering if it's like this: When you take your oath here in the US I think part of that is publicly denouncing your citizenship of your other country but that doesn't necessarily mean the other country recognises that . Like Canada...they don't recognise that statement and one can retain their Canadian Citizenship.

Did that make sense? I haven't had my coffee yet...it's not even 7am yet here. :blush:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I'm wondering if it's like this: When you take your oath here in the US I think part of that is publicly denouncing your citizenship of your other country but that doesn't necessarily mean the other country recognises that . Like Canada...they don't recognise that statement and one can retain their Canadian Citizenship.

Did that make sense? I haven't had my coffee yet...it's not even 7am yet here. :blush:

Yep it made sense to me Karen :yes:

Same holds true for UK citizens, like it does for Canadian citizens.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

Yup, if I became a citizen of the US, officially I am denouncing my Singaporean citizenship. Sigh! So it sounds there's no way around retaining US PR and then migrating elsewhere then.... Looks like becoming a USC, giving up S'porean citizenship and then migrating elsewhere is the only choice.

The reason we are wanting to move is that we want to start a life outside the US. We've given it a try for 3 years or so and we don't really like who we are here as a couple. It's gotten heaps better than when I first moved out here. I've had a few jobs and made some really good friends but deep down, amidst the bursts of happy events and experiences, there's always that feeling of unhappiness. It's not the country, it's me LOL

Anyways, cheers to those who replied to my queries!

Sha

Fingerprint check

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Shanna,

I'm a fellow Singaporean who exchanged notes with you many moons ago. First, let me congratulate you on the good news of starting a family.

Not many people realize or understand that Singaporeans cannot hold dual citizenships. All I ask is for you to think carefully before giving up your SG citizenship as that will involve not just your IC but your CPF, Medisave (for emergencies), ER Shares, etc. Think long term and that when you visit family, you enter as a visitor.

Can hubby get a posting or assignment out of the US as a test period to see if you will be happier? If so, you might be able to seek a waiver for the annual return to the US. Or you can go to US territories like Guam, Puerto Rico, etc which also counts as US soil and it allows you to keep you 10yr GC.

Whatever your choice, I sincerely wish you all the best. :)

warmest rgds

vin

11/17/03 Stepped on US soil again after the long process

12/09/03 Said "I Do"

12/16/03 Began the AOS, AP process

02/10/04 Got AOS & AP;

02/21/05 Applied for 2nd AP & still Patiently awaiting AOS

03/05/05 Got AOS interview date - 05/23/05

05/23/05 Interview. Despite full medical & vaccination and DS-2053 stating everything is Ok on all 3 submitted worksheets, mean officer wants another skin test by a civil surgeon. (I wonder if they're trying to make me ill..?) Next AOS interview is 06/22/05. (West Palm Beach - if an ugly, fat, blonde female officer calls your name; say a prayer!)

06/22/05 AOS Approved; stamp for I-551 in passport. Took 10 mins. (If a pleasant faced female Hispanic officer with light brown eyes calls your name; you're safe; she's professional & kind & seemed surprised that a skin test was asked for.)

07/05/05 Received Conditional Permanent Resident card via mail.

03/22/07 Submitted I751

03/29/07 Receipt acknowledge and conditional status is extended for 1 year

04/09/07 I797 advising Biometrics appointment

04/28/07 Biometrics done

01/31/08 My file got loaded onto the slow boat to VSC

Filed: Timeline
The reason we are wanting to move is that we want to start a life outside the US. We've given it a try for 3 years or so and we don't really like who we are here as a couple. It's gotten heaps better than when I first moved out here. I've had a few jobs and made some really good friends but deep down, amidst the bursts of happy events and experiences, there's always that feeling of unhappiness. It's not the country, it's me LOL

Sha

If it's you and not the country, do you think Canada or Australia will be any better? Geographical cures usually only work in the short term...then the novelty wears off and you're stuck with yourself again.

Maybe you should talk to a therapist about why you're unhappy instead of moving to another country? I'm serious. If you're unhappy now, moving to a different country is unlikely to make you happy.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline
If it's you and not the country, do you think Canada or Australia will be any better? Geographical cures usually only work in the short term...then the novelty wears off and you're stuck with yourself again.

Maybe you should talk to a therapist about why you're unhappy instead of moving to another country? I'm serious. If you're unhappy now, moving to a different country is unlikely to make you happy.

You are absolutely right in that a geographical cure may not be a long-term solution and the problem may persist. But I have lived in Australia for very many years and I am very certain that my life there would be a much happier one than it is here. When I said that "it's not the country and it's me", I meant that the many American sensibilities and ideologies are intirinsically great and many people who move here grow to cherish em but for me, I just don't seem to click with them. My goal of that statement was not to present a simplistic view of "I hate this place and I just can't live here." That is not it at all cos I love this place. It is not a matter of blind preference/escapism to live elsewhere but it is a preference based on fact and experience that my husband and I are wanting to choose for our growing family. :) But thank you for advice and perspective on this. Perhaps a therapist may be good after all... we shall see.

HI VIN!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! It's been a long long time!!! How are ya? Yeah of course, I shall not give up the Singaporean citizenship as best as I can...... So we shall see. Thank you for you wishes. Time does fly like crazy. Just been back to Sing in Apr this year for a mth and gorged on all I could get. The guy at the Prata Stand even knew what we wanted before we said anything cos we there practically everyday!!! :-) Your help was priceless in helping us get the I129F. Phew! what an ordeal that seemed like but on hindsight, it was more the missin of each other that made it stretch even longer lol :-)

What are you up to these days? :-)

Fingerprint check

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.