Mistermanga

AOS Interview in Raleigh - NC

6 posts in this topic

Timeline

I everyone,

I'm new in this forum, but I found on it a lot of information that helped me to make all my path easiest.

so I would share my experience with you all to thanks and help as much as possible

I'm an IR-1 Filer, married with an US Citizen (my wife) since March 2016. Both of us are from Italy.

my wife became citizen last September 2018 as daughter of a US Citizen (my mother in law) 

we had, last Thursday, our interview in Raleigh Durham Field office.

Interview was scheduled for 8:15AM, we arrived at 07:40AM.

At 08:00 the office opened the door, we went through the metal detector, and checked in.

The girl at the reception checked our IDs and invitation letter, and gave us the ticket (K2), then she told us to wait on the second floor.

We waited for 10 minutes, and our number was called (exactly at 08:15AM) and our IO, a middle age, red hair man, walked us in his office.

He asked us to swear to tell the truth and then he took my picture and fingerprints

he asked me the envelope with the medicals, then he started with the questions.

My wife and I have never been separated, and he asked questions to both of us, looking in the face the person from who he was expecting the answer.

He started with me.. he said you were not admitted to enter last December in Dublin (for who do not know, for travelers from Ireland to USA, the US immigration desks are in Dublin and not at destination).

Why?

I answered the truth, that I was overstayed for one month after my visa expiration because I was convinced that I was covered by my ESTA.

After that, I reapplied for a new VISA at the US Embassy in my country, and my position was cleared by the embassy.

He told me that I have been very lucky to obtain a new visa after my ban, but he seemed satisfied about my answer, so he started to speak with my wife (US Citizen and Petitioner).

He asked her basic questions (full name, DOB, her parents name) then he asked to show her green card.

She answered that she never had a GC, but she became US Citizen as daughter of a US Citizen (her mother). He was very impressed about that, and asked her to tell him the story of her mother.

Then, it was my time for the questions.

He asked me the same basic questions, how I met my wife, when we started to live together and where, why we moved in US, when I asked to marry my wife and how.       

After that, he asked for any paper, picture we may have for him.

We gave him:

·         Notarized letters from our friends (us Citizens) declaring our friendship and truthfulness of our marriage (we had four, from different friends). I have to say, the Officer was very pleased to receive these letters.

·         Joint car insurance

·         Joint tax return (2017 and 2018)

·         Joint bank statement

·         Joint Amex statement

·         Joint purchase agreement for the house

·         50 pictures of our together and our families. He asked if there was copies or originals. We said copied from digital file, and he took all of them.

·         Flight tickets and reservations for vacations 2017 and 2018

We had more, but he said that his folder was big enough, now.

So he said that we were approved. Due the fact of me and my wife are married since the 2016, he said that I will receive in 2 or 3 weeks my 10 years Green Card, and If I need to travel for any emergency, just book an infopass and he will provide for the passport stamp.

Then he asked if we have any more questions for him, and I asked what about all my other pending applications (I-130, AP and EAD). He told me I’m going to close all of them right now with your GC Approval.

So he bring us to the exit.

Interview Time from start to the end: less than 30 minutes.

the Officer was very nice and polite, but questions was very focused. we had the impression that, behind the smiles, he exactly known where hit the question.  

In the parking lot I received the notice “ New card is being produced” 

Time from PD to GC approved: 70 days.

I truly would thank you all about all the information you shared in this forum. It helped me a lot to be well prepared and to reduce the stress of the waiting time 

I also wish you all to have a smooth path like I had.

That was great detail regarding your interview! Hopefully your situation can give others the positive side of immigration and a ray of hope for moving forward with their process. :)

Also, CONGRATS ON YOUR APPROVAL!!! :joy:

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Congrats!

53 minutes ago, Mistermanga said:

I'm an IR-1 Filer, married with an US Citizen (my wife) since March 2016. Both of us are from Italy.

my wife became citizen last September 2018 as daughter of a US Citizen (my mother in law) 

IR-1 is a visa category. AOS is a separate process...presumably the green card will show IR-6.

So your wife was under age 18 as of Sept. 2018? Or did you mean she got her green card via her mother, then completed naturalization in Sept. 2018?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I was convinced that IR-1 meant Immediate Relative, and was related to the priority assigned to AOS Application. my bad.

my wife is 51 years old, she born in Italy like me, and her mother is a US Citizen.

she applied to became  an US Citizen as daughter of an US Citizen late because, in Italy, we wasn't not able to find a lawyer to support us.

After my relocation in US for Job reasons (I was an L-1A visa), she and my brother in law found a very good immigration lawyer, that really helped their application. I remember that, after the first interview with the lawyer, she said to my wife " you don't have to ask to became american.. you're american !! ". After six months after the application for citizenship, she was called for the oath ceremony without any interview.

They applied directly with the N-600 Application. They never had a GC or Naturalization process (N-400).  

1 minute ago, Mistermanga said:

I was convinced that IR-1 meant Immediate Relative, and was related to the priority assigned to AOS Application. my bad.

my wife is 51 years old, she born in Italy like me, and her mother is a US Citizen.

she applied to became  an US Citizen as daughter of an US Citizen late because, in Italy, we wasn't not able to find a lawyer to support us.

After my relocation in US for Job reasons (I was an L-1A visa), she and my brother in law found a very good immigration lawyer, that really helped their application. I remember that, after the first interview with the lawyer, she said to my wife " you don't have to ask to became american.. you're american !! ". After six months after the application for citizenship, she was called for the oath ceremony without any interview.

They applied directly with the N-600 Application. They never had a GC or Naturalization process (N-400).  

Thanks for the clarification!

So she always was a US citizen via birth...she just needed to have that citizenship recognized.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.