10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So in the saga of the RFE we received We finally were able to get everything we need for our co-sponsor (including his 2016 tax return) However I still have 2 questions.

1. I have seen around the forum something about signing the RFE. I do not see anywhere on the 3 pages of our RFE where my husband would or needs to sign. Are folks talking about the cover letter maybe?

2. My co-sponsor's W2s are included with his 1040 filing so do I need to have him print separate ones? Or do I need to have the ones included copied and listed separately from the tax forms? The w2s included do not look any different than the ones he gets from his employer. Can I not just reference on the cover letter that the w2s are included in the 1040 packet? 

#2 seems a little ####### but sometimes you gotta be that way when dealing with the government...

Thanks for the help! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I think the appropriate W2 (photocopy) goes with the tax form it supports. A W2 is not a stand alone item.  

My question is do we need printed ones separate outside of the tax forms even though with his 1040 ez they  are already included? 

37 minutes ago, Meggan P said:

My question is do we need printed ones separate outside of the tax forms even though with his 1040 ez they  are already included? 

No

2 hours ago, Meggan P said:

1. I have seen around the forum something about signing the RFE. I do not see anywhere on the 3 pages of our RFE where my husband would or needs to sign. Are folks talking about the cover letter maybe?

Quote your source? Smells funny.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Meggan P said:

A W2 is not part of a tax return print out. If you have one created by tax software, it is not a W2 but simply an informational Worksheet created by the software. I can't see what you have, so it is hard to give an answer.

A real W2 is a wage statement that an employer mails to the employee to use to calculate their tax return. A photocopy of it goes with the tax return. Perhaps your joint sponsor put a photo copy of his real W2 in the stack of papers he gave you. 

A W2 will look something like this and say Dept of Treasury and have an OMB No. 1545-0008

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/37/media/calhoun_w2.pdf

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

A W2 is not part of a tax return print out. If you have one created by tax software, it is not a W2 but simply an informational Worksheet created by the software. I can't see what you have, so it is hard to give an answer.

A real W2 is a wage statement that an employer mails to the employee to use to calculate their tax return. A photocopy of it goes with the tax return. Perhaps your joint sponsor put a photo copy of his real W2 in the stack of papers he gave you. 

A W2 will look something like this and say Dept of Treasury and have an OMB No. 1545-0008

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/37/media/calhoun_w2.pdf

The W2 sample looks exactly like his 2018, and 2017 W2s that are stapled to his 1040 ez, however the 2016 looks a bit different im not sure if that is because H&R block cut it, it looks cut by scissors at the top. I provided a photo for reference and covered up the sponsor's info. The bottom portion mot visible is 2 exact copies of the same thing you see here on one page. I just didn't show it due to having to cover up the personal details

0414191953.jpg

Timeline
2 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Quote your source? Smells funny.

It was here on the forum that's why i asked about it. I'd have to dig to find out the last person i saw who said it. It's not on the RFE so im not going to worry about it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Meggan P said:

The W2 sample looks exactly like his 2018, and 2017 W2s that are stapled to his 1040 ez, however the 2016 looks a bit different im not sure if that is because H&R block cut it, it looks cut by scissors at the top. I provided a photo for reference and covered up the sponsor's info. The bottom portion mot visible is 2 exact copies of the same thing you see here on one page. I just didn't show it due to having to cover up the personal details

0414191953.jpg

Yes, that's a real one. They can look slightly different. Those should be with the tax return and not another copy elsewhere. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Yes, that's a real one. They can look slightly different. Those should be with the tax return and not another copy elsewhere. 

Thank you, I know it seems ####### but one cant be too careful when sending paperwork for an RFE. The biggest snafu we had for a while was my cosponsor had not filed his 2016 tax return and he was owed a return, so he had no penalty for the late filing..i don't remember the reason for his late filing but he had to send a letter to the IRS about it. The goods news is it is filed and i have it to send with the RFE since you do have to list your last 3 year's of adjusted gross income (listed on your 1040) on the I- 864. Phew I have everything now and can express mail this out tomorrow. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.