Jump to content
Zu11

Joint sponsor and retirement

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband did not have a job until recently so we found a joint sponsor. However, the joint sponsor is retiring in September this year. He might not make enough and I‘m sure our interview will be after he retires. My husband will make $70.000 a year but what happens if at the interview my husband makes enough but not the joint sponsor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take, new and CURRENT Affidavit of Supports for each to the interview....


                               :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zu11 said:

My husband did not have a job until recently so we found a joint sponsor. However, the joint sponsor is retiring in September this year. He might not make enough and I‘m sure our interview will be after he retires. My husband will make $70.000 a year but what happens if at the interview my husband makes enough but not the joint sponsor? 

Then they may not require the joint sponsor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me clarify:  I would take new affidavits of support which are current at the time of the interview.


                               :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zu11 said:

Can the joint sponsor just be ignored at the interview if my husband makes enough?

Yes.  But the interview officer has complete discretion to allow or accept sponsor and/or joint sponsor affidavit of support.  If your husband's financial picture is now sufficient and stable, then you probably won't even need a joint sponsor.  Interviewing officers realize that financial conditions change. 


                               :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, missileman said:

Yes.  But the interview officer has complete discretion to allow or accept sponsor and/or joint sponsor affidavit of support.  If your husband's financial picture is now sufficient and stable, then you probably won't even need a joint sponsor.  Interviewing officers realize that financial conditions change. 

Okey, it is not stable right now because he only worked for a month but it will be at the time of the interview. Will they accept the new financial situation without a tax return though? and if they accept  it will the joint sponsor still be a sponsor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zu11 said:

he only worked for a month

They will want to see 6 months of pay stubs and a letter from his employer confirming current income. A recent job and unemployment before that might raise concerns so you may want to find another co-sponsor if the one you have now can't continue because of a drop in income due to retirement.  It's hard to say what they will decide but better have more than not enough.  IOs seem to be more concerned about income stability and the public charge issue than in the past.  When does the co-sponsor's income drop?  Is their retirement income still enough to be a co-sponsor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

They will want to see 6 months of pay stubs and a letter from his employer confirming current income. A recent job and unemployment before that might raise concerns so you may want to find another co-sponsor if the one you have now can't continue because of a drop in income due to retirement.  It's hard to say what they will decide but better have more than not enough.  IOs seem to be more concerned about income stability and the public charge issue than in the past.  When does the co-sponsor's income drop?  Is their retirement income still enough to be a co-sponsor?

The co-sponsor's income will drop in September and the income will be about $23000 after that. By September my husband have worked for 6 months. It is very hard for us to find a sponsor because we do not have any family in the U.S. 

Our current sponsor is the only one. Is it better to wait to apply until next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zu11 said:

The co-sponsor's income will drop in September and the income will be about $23000 after that. By September my husband have worked for 6 months. It is very hard for us to find a sponsor because we do not have any family in the U.S. 

Our current sponsor is the only one. However, my husband has great work history before his unemployment last year as he was studying that year. Is it better to wait to apply until next year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have not yet applied for a spousal visa, you have plenty of time.  Spousal visas take about 14 months after filing the I-130 petition to interview abroad.  That should be enough time for your husband to show many pay stubs, employer letter, maybe even a tax return for 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

If you have not yet applied for a spousal visa, you have plenty of time.  Spousal visas take about 14 months after filing the I-130 petition to interview abroad.  That should be enough time for your husband to show many pay stubs, employer letter, maybe even a tax return for 2019.

I'm in the U.S. already so I think it will take less time but do you think it will be next year? if not, can I delay the interview until we have the 2019 tax return?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zu11 said:

I'm in the U.S. already so I think it will take less time but do you think it will be next year? if not, can I delay the interview until we have the 2019 tax return?

If you're doing AOS-adjustment of status-it takes about a year for the interview after filing, depending on your USCIS office, some are faster, do more research here on VJ based on your local office and processing times for AOS, and find out if you can delay the interview with that office.  If you're already in the US and have not yet filed for AOS, you can just delay filing if you have legal status that allows this.  If you currently do not have legal status in the US, you should file ASAP because you're illegal and could be subject to deportation.  Sounds like you need to do more research on all of this.  Spend some more time here on VJ, review the AOS guide, threads related to your case, etc.  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

If you're doing AOS-adjustment of status-it takes about a year for the interview after filing, depending on your USCIS office, some are faster, do more research here on VJ based on your local office and processing times for AOS, and find out if you can delay the interview with that office.  If you're already in the US and have not yet filed for AOS, you can just delay filing if you have legal status that allows this.  If you currently do not have legal status in the US, you should file ASAP because you're illegal and could be subject to deportation.  Sounds like you need to do more research on all of this.  Spend some more time here on VJ, review the AOS guide, threads related to your case, etc.  Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I will do more research and figure it out. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×