Jump to content
Scottish Mernymph

Uk passport re name change

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hang on to your current passport, as you're going need your K1 visa for AOS. They also ask to see copies of any pages containing entry stamps. I personally wouldn't rush to change it until the whole process is completed.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

Do I need to update my uk passport now we're married & I've taken my husband's name? Do I need to be applying now (just about to file AOS ) ? Or would that confuse or void my visa/AOS?




There is no requirement to change it immediately. You need it now for photo ID. Once you get past biometrics appointment, Social Security card, bank account, and some initial things like that,  you can send it off for a name change. They will mail your old passport back to you with the corner clipped. You might want to wait until you get your EAD so you can get a driver's license to have an alternate photo ID while your passport is mailed back to the UK. Or wait for your greencard even. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.