Lena&Nia

Does residence history impact K1?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello lovely people,

There's some nagging anxiety I've been having about this, so thought I might create a topic and get some feedback either way.

So just a little background. I'm the beneficiary, born in the UK where I lived till I was 8 after which our parents relocated to Saudi Arabia. We stayed there for about 16 years (I did my bachelors in the UAE so lived there for 4 years), then left as soon as I could to pursue a masters back here in the UK where I've been living and working for the last 2 years. My family still lives there but I don't plan on going back, my last visit was in 2017 for 2 days to close up my bank account.

Basically, I'm worried that the history of living there will slow up our K1 application or be an issue at interview stage. We'll be applying from the London consulate - could this history be a red flag to them or USCIS? Are we more likely to be denied because if it?

We're also worried because we're a same-sex couple and we met online while I was living in Saudi. It was due to this that we didn't meet in person until a year into our relationship when I relocated to the UK.

Any thoughts you may have on this would be greatly appreciated! Just trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lena&Nia said:

Hello lovely people,

There's some nagging anxiety I've been having about this, so thought I might create a topic and get some feedback either way.

So just a little background. I'm the beneficiary, born in the UK where I lived till I was 8 after which our parents relocated to Saudi Arabia. We stayed there for about 16 years (I did my bachelors in the UAE so lived there for 4 years), then left as soon as I could to pursue a masters back here in the UK where I've been living and working for the last 2 years. My family still lives there but I don't plan on going back, my last visit was in 2017 for 2 days to close up my bank account.

Basically, I'm worried that the history of living there will slow up our K1 application or be an issue at interview stage. We'll be applying from the London consulate - could this history be a red flag to them or USCIS? Are we more likely to be denied because if it?

We're also worried because we're a same-sex couple and we met online while I was living in Saudi. It was due to this that we didn't meet in person until a year into our relationship when I relocated to the UK.

Any thoughts you may have on this would be greatly appreciated! Just trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you!

where you live has no baring on your K1, as long as you have meet the meeting requirements.

you will need to get a police certificate for any place you lived for more than 6 months.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lena&Nia said:

Hello lovely people,

Thank you!

Much ado about nothing 

YMMV

2 hours ago, Khallaf said:

The only requirement is you have to have met in-person at least once in the last 2 years prior to filing the petition. The rest no one cares. They don't care if you're same sex, different sex, met online first and lived together for 10 years, ...

Just provide lots of evidence of a bona fide relationship. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
28 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

The only requirement is you have to have met in-person at least once in the last 2 years prior to filing the petition. The rest no one cares. They don't care if you're same sex, different sex, met online first and lived together for 10 years, ...

well your post makes it look like I said it lol and I didn't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
17 hours ago, Khallaf said:

where you live has no baring on your K1, as long as you have meet the meeting requirements.

you will need to get a police certificate for any place you lived for more than 6 months.

Thanks, that's reassuring. We've met several times within the last 2 years, most recently in Feb and she's coming to stay for a month in May. For the UAE police certificates are only available if physically present. For Saudi, foreign-nationals living outside the country are exempt. So I'm only able to provide a UK police certificate.

15 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Thank you! We aim to provide a lot of evidence definitely at interview, but do you mean front-loading our I-129F?

Edited by Lena&Nia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.