akfamilyjourney

SSN + Marriage Licence

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

Would you please guide me and advise on steps that I need to take.

I arrived two weeks ago on K1 and believe it is a good time to apply for Social Security Number, as they should already have me in the system.

What does the process look like and how long does it take?

Lets say we apply tomorow, would it be possible to get married in a few days or I have to actually receive SSN and then get married in court?

Edited by theafons

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, theafons said:

Hi guys,

Would you please guide me and advise on steps that I need to take.

I arrived two weeks ago on K1 and believe it is a good time to apply for Social Security Number, as they should already have me in the system.

What does the process look like and how long does it take?

Lets say we apply tomorow, would it be possible to get married in a few days or I have to actually receive SSN and then get married in court?

A social security number should not be a prerequisite for your marriage license. If you have one, then you give it. But if you are a foreigner who does not have a SSN yet, then you can't give one. Ring up the clerks office that issues marriage licenses and ask.  I know my county website said SSN, but when I rang them and said he was a foreigner, they said no problem. His passport was all he needed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

A social security number should not be a prerequisite for your marriage license. If you have one, then you give it. But if you are a foreigner who does not have a SSN yet, then you can't give one. Ring up the clerks office that issues marriage licenses and ask.  I know my county website said SSN, but when I rang them and said he was a foreigner, they said no problem. His passport was all he needed. 

Thanks!

My question is more that are we taking right steps? People say its useful to get SSN before marriage, so I wonder if I need to actually receive the card in mail before I take the next step and get married or to apply for SSN is enough, I get married and receive card in few days later? I know i don't need it in court.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the "Moving to the US" forum to the Social Security Numbers subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, theafons said:

Thanks!

My question is more that are we taking right steps? People say its useful to get SSN before marriage, so I wonder if I need to actually receive the card in mail before I take the next step and get married or to apply for SSN is enough, I get married and receive card in few days later? I know i don't need it in court.

The "before marriage" talk is because people have been misinformed by Social Security workers and not allowed a card in a few cases. It happens more with women who try to get a card in a new married name. They go in and say "I'm a K1 and  got married so this is my name now". The worker tells them--so now that you are married, you are a K3 not eligible for a SSN. That is seriously incorrect. The underlying visa can not change. So I think VJ people may say to go get the SSN before marriage and avoid the chance of getting a dumb worker who may refuse you.

There is no reason why you must have a Social Security card in hand prior to marriage. The usefulness to get it early is because banks and landlords and health insurance often ask for it. A K1 is only eligible for a SSN the first 76 days (2 weeks before your 90 days end). So yes, get it early while you can is good advice, but there is no fixed order. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.