Lewis57

when she gets to the usa - apply for social security number 1st

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 3/26/2019 at 4:21 AM, Hank_ said:

Ah .. so you applied using her married name .. SSA checks the SAVE database and that is what they go by for issuing an SSN.  Had you used her maiden name there would not of been an issue.   And no it would not of been a problem using her maiden name.  Once she received either her EAD or Green Card she could then update SSA, which should be done anyway once she receives her green card for sure, as they will issue a new card without the DHS statement of "not valid for employment ..."

Hank- Thanks for your insights (and VisaConnection website) not only on this but throughout this arduous process.  I honestly don't how I would have navigated this 9 month odyssey without the input/help of you and so many people here.  Anyway,  my fiance got visa in hand  this past Saturday (absolutely THRILLED), and I'm thinking about the  sequence of events once she arrives here.  From your  post, it sounds like the Social Security office doesn't care so much of the timing of the marriage versus the notion that the name we submit matches the I-94 and fiance/wife's passport name (even if we submit for SSN after marriage).  Just confirming that I got that right?      

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, FlyingPan said:

Hank- Thanks for your insights (and VisaConnection website) not only on this but throughout this arduous process.  I honestly don't how I would have navigated this 9 month odyssey without the input/help of you and so many people here.  Anyway,  my fiance got visa in hand  this past Saturday (absolutely THRILLED), and I'm thinking about the  sequence of events once she arrives here.  From your  post, it sounds like the Social Security office doesn't care so much of the timing of the marriage versus the notion that the name we submit matches the I-94 and fiance/wife's passport name (even if we submit for SSN after marriage).  Just confirming that I got that right?      

Yup your got it correct, complete the SS -5 in her maiden name so it matches the I-94 and her passport/visa.   The maiden name on the SS card will not be an issue.

Once you complete AOS (I-485) in her married name you can then go back to SS with the green card and marriage certificate to change the name to the married name.  Easy Peasy.

Next for your fiancee is getting the CFO sticker then it is flying time!!!

For later - 

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Yup your got it correct, complete the SS -5 in her maiden name so it matches the I-94 and her passport/visa.   The maiden name on the SS card will not be an issue.

Once you complete AOS (I-485) in her married name you can then go back to SS with the green card and marriage certificate to change the name to the married name.  Easy Peasy.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Hank_ said:

For later - 

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

we’re currently in the process of waiting for my fiancé’s CFO appt, just doing the research for the next steps. We will be living in CA, I’ve been reading you can apply for a SSN even before getting married? But I was being told otherwise that we must be married first in order to get a SSN?

On 3/26/2019 at 2:46 AM, Lewis57 said:

My wife came on a fiance visa in July of 2018 -  we got married about a week after she arrived in the USA.   About a week after we married we went to the social security office and they would not let her get a social security card.  They said since we had gotten married her legal status to enter the USA was no longer valid  - we would have to wait until the temporary work permit came through or the change of status is granted.  I thought it must be a mistake but there was no use to argue -  that was in North Dakota.  About 3 weeks later we moved to Florida  I went to a Social Security office there  I got the exact same answer and rationale.  Just wanted to put that in others minds that if they bring a fiance - go to the social security office first  - you can go back and change the name on it later.  Our problem is fixed now because she  was granted a temporary work permit in early March and she passed her change of status interview and got her first 2 year green card.  She actually got her green card before the temporary work permit.  the District office where we processed and interviewed at is ahead of the processing center that issues the temporary work permits and travel paroles.

When my late wife came to the USA in Virginia, we were married just 3 days after her arrival. We got the SSN without any issue. We just provided our marriage contract, etc..so weird they gave that answer. I am glad with the I-130 or specifically the DS-260 they give you the option to receive your SSN after arrival without having to go to the SS office.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, LaLaRI said:

we’re currently in the process of waiting for my fiancé’s CFO appt, just doing the research for the next steps. We will be living in CA, I’ve been reading you can apply for a SSN even before getting married? But I was being told otherwise that we must be married first in order to get a SSN?

SSA is federal, doesn't matter what state you live in process is the same (some personal are not well trained at some offices it seems ;)  ).    You do not need to be married to apply for the SSN, your I-94 is what gives you the eligibility to apply for the SSN, you must apply for the SSN at least 14 days before the I-94 expires.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.