sanaq1754

Validity of IR-Visa 6 months from issue date or from medical?

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a U.S citizen who has applied for my husband's (Indian Passport) immigrant visa (IR-1) which was approved by NVC in August 2017 and sent to US Embassy in Abu Dhabi for the interview (Jan 3rd 2019).

After my husband's interview he received a temporary refusal 221 g form blue slip with a request to submit additional documents of my U.S domicile. I quit my job in UAE by giving notice (Jan-Feb 2019), returned to U.S (March 2019) and have the intent letter ready to submit to Embassy now with proof of working here to make my domicile status more solid.

My question that I am not finding an answer from anyone is if the visa is granted to my husband now what will be the validity of it?

As my husband needs to give a 3 month notice to his job which he can only do after officially getting the visa.

My biggest concern is will the expiry of visa be 6 months from the issue date for example (April-Sept 2019) or 6 months from medical (taken 8th Dec 2018)? If it's 6 months from medical exam the expiry date of visa issue will be on or before June 8th 2019 which will barely give my husband 2 months notice to give his boss?

So legally is there any option that he can retake the medical exam and send medical reports with the additional documents requested to embassy to extend the validity of my visa so validity of six months is counted from the new medical date. And if possible is it allowed to send or take a new medical to the U.S Embassy in UAE if not requested on the blue form?

If anyone can provide some advice It would be appreciated!

Thanks.

From the dates and description of the issues, your husband has posted on another forum.

he noted that on his 221g slip it said “On the bottom of the form it is written “ The validity of visa is limited to the validity of the medical exam which will not exceed six months””

He was advised that he has one of two options (1) contact the embassy and request if he can do another medical to extend the visa expiry (2) make a quick trip to the US so he can enter (and gain LPR status) before the visa expires, return to finish his employment obligation, and then after that make his permanent move to the US.

21 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

From the dates and description of the issues, your husband has posted on another forum.

he noted that on his 221g slip it said “On the bottom of the form it is written “ The validity of visa is limited to the validity of the medical exam which will not exceed six months””

He was advised that he has one of two options (1) contact the embassy and request if he can do another medical to extend the visa expiry (2) make a quick trip to the US so he can enter (and gain LPR status) before the visa expires, return to finish his employment obligation, and then after that make his permanent move to the US.

Dear SusieQQQ,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes my husband did post on another forum. Option 1 you mentioned we tried to send a request via a contact form found on https://abudhabiivo.net/a_contactus.aspx was not working and giving a technical error. Therefore am waiting for a reply. The number that is given on the US Embassy Page (https://ae.usembassy.gov/visas/) is a support number that is not able to answer any questions regarding medical or specific cases.

I wanted to add that on the US Embassy Case Status Check Page (https://abudhabiivo.net/ivo.aspx) we are given this below message and were confused by it.

"Important note for all Immigrant Visa applicants: Due to changes in the regulations regarding medical clearances, medical checks are now valid for only 6 months. The 6 month validity is from the date of the exam until the date of entry to the United States. Thus, even if an applicant has had a medical check in the last 6 months, unless they plan to actually travel and enter the United States before the end of that 6 month period, they will need a NEW medical check. This should be completed at the same medical facility in the UAE where the first check was completed. Every visa applicant must complete the exam, not just the principal applicant."

Its also mentioned in FAQ's " What happens if my medical exam expires?" on the same Abu Dhabi US Embassy page below

"If your medical exam expires and your visa is ready for issuance, you must complete a new medical exam. You must provide the exam results with your passport to the Embassy through EMPOST or in person any working Sunday or Tuesday at 2 PM. Please note that during Ramadan, this time changes to 12 noon."

Now my question is can I take a new medical now before my old one expires (June 8th) and submit it with my passport and additional documents (domicile intent letter) to the embassy so if my visa is granted it will have the validity of the new medical 6 months (April -Sept 2019) ???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.