mc962

RFIE for I-864 Federal Income Tax Return

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We just got an RFIE for 'Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year' .

My understanding from the instructions was that the Tax Transcript from the IRS was allowed (and actually preferred), which is what definitely sent in the initial application. 
I want to confirm, was it OK to send this instead of the Tax Return? Did they just lose it/they don't understand it, and would it be worth calling them to check if they just misplaced it, or just send the response to the RFIE?

It's possible they didn't figure out how to read the new 'redacted format' that the IRS recently rolled out a couple weeks before I printed the Transcript (even though I sent an explanation about it with the application).

In terms of the response, we need to send in the response:
- All the pages of the RFIE letter
- A copy of the Federal Income Tax Return (as requested in the RFIE)

- Cover Letter explaining purpose of submission

(The letter said: You must provide the following information...The petitioning sponsor on Form I-864....must submit a complete Federal income tax return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the most recent tax year...) (abbreviated)

To confirm, no other documents are necessary, other than the three listed there (like a copy of the I-864, or my identification or anything)? I'd had to get an RFE for my RFE by misreading the directions somewhere 😬

Timeline

I decided to send both, but I definitely sent the 2018 Transcript.

I waited until my taxes were filed for 2018 before doing the I-864 for this reason.

Timeline

Interestingly, when I went to the IRS website to download the Tax Transcript (which I've used in the past), they recommended the Return Transcript when I entered 'Immigration' as a reason, while in the past I think I've submitted 'Account Transcript' (it was fine for the I-134).

I definitely didn't do the 'Return Transcript' last time, so maybe that was the issue they had.

11 hours ago, mc962 said:

We just got an RFIE for 'Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year' .

That's why for these I kind of things, generally what I said is I send them everything: tax transcripts, tax return, 1040, W2, 1099, the whole kit and caboodle, so they absolutely can't say they don't have something. 

I guarantee if you just send in the tax return, they would RFE you for the tax transcripts. 

Sometimes, it almost sounds like it's a strategic RFE to buy more time...

Timeline

Thinking about it, and reading the instructions again, it may have been my fault.

Initially, I printed out the IRS Tax Account Transcript, that I think only lists stuff like Income (which was fine for the I-134), instead of the IRS Tax Return Transcript, which has way more information on it for all the line items in the 1040.

This time we sent them both the IRS Tax Return Transcript, and the 1040/W2/1099 etc., so they hopefully they won't complain.

Edited by mc962

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.