Lookingglass

Can I file an I-129f if I filed an i-130 years ago for my ex wife, that was approved, but the case afterwards was terminated by UCSIS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

.... it was an mutual ending to our relationship back in 2014, But at that point we were not on speaking terms, so neither of us sent any letters to UCSIS to have status waved. Ucsis terminated the cases overtime after failure to respond,

You were advised of this requirement on 08-OCT-15, but we have not received a response from you since then.  As a result, you are hereby notified that your application for a visa has been canceled and any petition approved on your behalf has also been canceled.

That was what I received back in Oct 2016. At the time, after that I was not interested in getting married. But overtime, I met someone else I fell in love with in 2017 and she happens to be a resident of Japan. And things have gotten very serious for us, and we got engaged on my last trip in Japan in January. But beginning to get all the paper work and documentation together, I couldnt help but wonder would my previous filing create issues in this new process I am beginning with my fiance? My ex and I are legally divorced, it took a while due to her being in another country and not being reachable for years, but it was awarded the 1st of January 2018.

Is it possible to file again in a new relationship, after the termination of a previous filing prior? Also is there anything that I need to do to ensure the case was really terminated? I typed the previous case number for the i-130 in the status search on the Ucsis site, and I was expecting it to say this has been terminated, but instead it said it was approved August 2014. I'm assuming that this is just like a record that it was approved, but in reality all the cases have been terminated, as the letter I received suggested. I know this is probably the case, but I am just sort of making sure, as I am sort of freaking out a little, with worry that maybe I missed something. 

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Lookingglass said:

Is it possible to file again in a new relationship, after the termination of a previous filing prior? 

Of course. 

12 minutes ago, Lookingglass said:

I typed the previous case number for the i-130 in the status search on the Ucsis site, and I was expecting it to say this has been terminated, but instead it said it was approved August 2014

That’s very typical, that system is full of glitches. If you have the paper, it’s good.

Did anything happen after the I-130 was approved the last time? Did it make it to the NVC, the Embassy?

Timeline
On 3/15/2019 at 12:57 AM, USS_Voyager said:

Of course. 

That’s very typical, that system is full of glitches. If you have the paper, it’s good.

Did anything happen after the I-130 was approved the last time? Did it make it to the NVC, the Embassy?

sorry for the late response, i received an email back in 2014 that said,

Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Vermont Service Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number<xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

This confirmation provides notification of the date USCIS received your case.  This notice does NOT grant any immigration status or benefit. You MAY NOT present this notice as evidence that you have been granted any immigration status or benefit. Further, this notice does NOT constitute evidence that your case remains pending with USCIS. The current status of your case must be verified with USCIS.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

I'm assuming it was. I got to the point where I was at the next step of the process, the affidavit of support, but right at that time, our relationship ended. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/15/2019 at 12:57 AM, USS_Voyager said:

Of course. 

Yes it did make it to NVC, that letter was sent a year after it was approved. My question is, for anyone, I don't need a waiver do I? That letter was sent back in 2015 and it said that the petition and application for visa was cancelled. I just want to make sure on what I need to do, if anything. 

The divorce took a while, and it wasnt granted until the first of Jan 2018. But my thought is, if it was really terminated back in 2015, then do I really need to do that?

I'm not sure what answer you seek.

It is what is is.

Just apply now, be honest and it won't be a problem.

If someone here responds that it is a big problem, what will you do? Fall out of love??

Timeline
On 3/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, wxman22 said:

I'm not sure what answer you seek.

It is what is is.

Just apply now, be honest and it won't be a problem.

If someone here responds that it is a big problem, what will you do? Fall out of love??

i just wanted to make sure. i found out while it was terminated in 2015, the record/files were destroyed oct 2017. so i got my answer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.