BigWill

Xiamen Airlines for Thai passport

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do not book through them. My fiancee arrived at bkk to fly to lax with connecting flight through Xiamen. They would not let her fly without chinese transit visa even though only 4 hour layover and they would not give refund. Had to pay alot of money to have her fly out later tonight on Philippines Airline through manilla 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've done this same trip many times, and I am doing it again in November. Last November my fiancee traveled with me on this airline to LAX for her entry on a K1 Visa. Maybe it was different because I was with her, but I cannot find any reason they would have denied her boarding. You don't need a transit Visa if stay is under 24 hours, see post below.

For foreigners who have booked seats on international airlines, ships or trains transiting through China to a third country, if the stay is less than 24 hours, they can enjoy the 24-hour visa-free transit. In case they want to leave the specified transit zone, they can ask for a temporary stay permit at the immigration counter. The 24-hour direct transit facility benefits almost all countries and is available in most China ports.

i am going to check the airlines contract of carriage right now, and see why they would have denied boarding? Did they give a specific reason, because I fly this airline and China eastern quite a bit, and I am hoping something hasn't changed, because I booked to round trip tickets for us this November LAX to BKK and back and don't want to have any problems. But 2 tickets for 657 dollars round trip I couldn't pass up. I personally hate transferring thru China, but I deal with it for the cheap flights. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

After some research, looks like they were right. It started Jan 1st 2019, that's why I didn't have a problem in November 2018. But I will this November, so I have to get a couple transit visas it looks like. Thanks for your post, it just saved me some serious problems. Here is the info from China's immigration site...

. Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Yemen passport holders transiting in Xiamen require a visa.

so it is legit, sorry you got hosed. The post above is from January 1st, 2019.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

After some research, looks like they were right. It started Jan 1st 2019, that's why I didn't have a problem in November 2018. But I will this November, so I have to get a couple transit visas it looks like. Thanks for your post, it just saved me some serious problems. Here is the info from China's immigration site...

. Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Yemen passport holders transiting in Xiamen require a visa.

so it is legit, sorry you got hosed. The post above is from January 1st, 2019.

I found that also, it sounds like maybe other city's in china might be ok but Xiamen requires this visa. I was not willing to risk second try though so had her just go buy from phillipines airline

Timeline

It's tough, I've got 2 hours into this and I can't figure it out. She will be traveling on her Thai passport, but with her us issued AP travel card. It says green card holders for the US do not require a Visa, but AP really isn't a green card, I guess I'll call the airline and see. I keep seeing if it's under 24 hours, and you don't leave the airport, no Visa required, but then your post and that information I found says you do. It's 45 bucks for a dual entry G Visa, so I might just get one to be safe, but I have to apply in person at a Chinese consulate, so that means a trip to Los Angeles, or have someone I know get the visa for me. I've got 8 months to figure it out, I'll make some calls today.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

It's tough, I've got 2 hours into this and I can't figure it out. She will be traveling on her Thai passport, but with her us issued AP travel card. It says green card holders for the US do not require a Visa, but AP really isn't a green card, I guess I'll call the airline and see. I keep seeing if it's under 24 hours, and you don't leave the airport, no Visa required, but then your post and that information I found says you do. It's 45 bucks for a dual entry G Visa, so I might just get one to be safe, but I have to apply in person at a Chinese consulate, so that means a trip to Los Angeles, or have someone I know get the visa for me. I've got 8 months to figure it out, I'll make some calls today.

Yeah, I just dont want people to have same experience as us. It still does not make sense to me.

Timeline
6 hours ago, BigWill said:

Do not book through them. My fiancee arrived at bkk to fly to lax with connecting flight through Xiamen. They would not let her fly without chinese transit visa even though only 4 hour layover and they would not give refund. Had to pay alot of money to have her fly out later tonight on Philippines Airline through manilla 

I was looking into the airline in 2018 but there were posts from Americans on travel website having this same exact issue. Could be some kinda scam

Timeline

Based on the astronomical costs of a one way BKK to Chicago, I was thinking to find the best fare on the one way before booking my ticket.  (I'm flying over to get her).   Anyone have an better recommendation for finding the best overall cost for a round trip from US and a one way from Thailand?    Essentially I'm finding my round trip is quite a bit cheaper than her one way. 

Looking at economy rather than business, but hoping for a 34" seat pitch.....anyone with experience on JAL or Asiana from Bkk??   

Edited by DanielPlainview

Timeline
20 minutes ago, DanielPlainview said:

Based on the astronomical costs of a one way BKK to Chicago, I was thinking to find the best fare on the one way before booking my ticket.  (I'm flying over to get her).   Anyone have an better recommendation for finding the best overall cost for a round trip from US and a one way from Thailand?    Essentially I'm finding my round trip is quite a bit cheaper than her one way. 

Looking at economy rather than business, but hoping for a 34" seat pitch.....anyone with experience on JAL or Asiana from Bkk??   

I flew my fiance into LAX on JAL. JAL and Asiana are both rated well for economy class. But I see Qatar fly's to Chicago from bkk also. And Qatar is rated better then the other two overall...

Just don't fly any of the American airlines haha.

I use Skyscanner.com for searching flights.

Timeline
1 hour ago, John951 said:

I flew my fiance into LAX on JAL. JAL and Asiana are both rated well for economy class. But I see Qatar fly's to Chicago from bkk also. And Qatar is rated better then the other two overall...

Just don't fly any of the American airlines haha.

I use Skyscanner.com for searching flights.

Thanks John.   Yeah, I normally fly Qatar.  I have the added benefit of being able to restock my Cuban cigar supply.   😁   Business is great, but since they changed the economy seat configuration from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3, so now it's pretty packed back there.   I see Asiana is 3-3-3.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.