anlocnghg

How Many Weeks/Days Consulate Sets to Schedule Appointment

7 posts in this topic

Hi, 

We are ready to schedule for the interview. Today is March 12. And the dates available left are only a few in March. No dates set for April. (Screenshots attachment)

My fiancee will need time for medical examination and vaccination, and I would fly back to Vietnam to support her emotionally in the interview as well as bring original and copy of important documentations. That is why we need at least 3 - 5 weeks in advanced of the interview date. 

So, do you know usually how many weeks/days ahead that the US Consulate set for the interview appointment? Do they do it monthly (for example, at the first day of month, they would set available dates for interview appointment within that month)? 

It seems that only 2 weeks is a short amount of time, don't you think so? 

Many thanks!

Capture.PNG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife (fiance at the time) and daughter and her son were interviewed on two separate dates, 6 months apart.  The date available to my wife and her daughter in April 2017 gave about 3 weeks notice.  We only got an interview when we did because someone cancelled and I happened to log on at exactly the right time.  We took what was available. 

For her son who came to the U.S. 6 months after my wife and daughter, I began looking for interview dates in mid-October.  At that time, the consulate was posting new interview dates on Fridays around 12:00-1:00pm, Vietnam time.  There were a lot more dates available, with many appearing to go unfilled.  We weren't in a hurry for my son's interview, so waited a few weeks.  We eventually reserved a date that was about 4 weeks away. 

Don't worry about booking the medical appointment.  In April and November, Cho Ray had appointments available the same week, even the next day when we called.  The only possible issue would be if your fiance has a child who requires a TB skin test.  My stepdaughter (age 7 at the time) needed a skin test in April, but her 11 year old son had an x-ray in November.  They need to do skin tests Monday-Wednesday, so the test results can be read by Friday. 

The hospital did not deliver the results to the consulate, but sent them to my wife and stepson's addresses (HCM City to Da Lat) in less than a week.  My wife and stepson both needed an immunization and those were done the same day after the exam.  Prepare for a LONG day.  My wife was at Cho Ray for 4+ hours and another 3-4 hours at Quarantine Services.  So, you should have plenty of time to choose one of the late March interviews if your fiance can go to Cho Ray early next week.  The biggest issue might be the cost of  the "last minute" airfare to Vietnam from the U.S.

Good luck! - Jason

Edited by JasonGG

Many thanks @JasonGG! Your reply answers all of my question now! 

Besides that, I have just heard from my fiancee that some people are required to get vaccinated/immunization (to get the 'yellow paper') in order to have medical examination. This should not be a problem though. 

For the plane ticket, I'm planning to flight one-way to Vietnam (costs ~430$), then both of us book another one-way ticket from Vietnam to the US after visa being issued. 

Thanks again Jason! 

Loc

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:52 AM, anlocnghg said:

Hi, 

We are ready to schedule for the interview. Today is March 12. And the dates available left are only a few in March. No dates set for April. (Screenshots attachment)

My fiancee will need time for medical examination and vaccination, and I would fly back to Vietnam to support her emotionally in the interview as well as bring original and copy of important documentations. That is why we need at least 3 - 5 weeks in advanced of the interview date. 

So, do you know usually how many weeks/days ahead that the US Consulate set for the interview appointment? Do they do it monthly (for example, at the first day of month, they would set available dates for interview appointment within that month)? 

It seems that only 2 weeks is a short amount of time, don't you think so? 

Many thanks!

Capture.PNG

So, what happened? They did open a lot of dates in April. Do you remember when?

We are in the same boat, only in April.

They seem to post only three weeks. 

Lat week we saw April 9th thru the 25 was awailable,

With the holidays at the end of April and my GF's son has high school tests the entire third week, we can not schedule until May 2nd.

So am curious if anyone has anyone figured out when they open up May??

Edited by wxman22
clarification

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.