Yahdie

Health Ins for Elderly parents

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Just now, Yahdie said:

Yes we are aware of the Medicaid option when they become citizens. 

We are hesitating with regard to the subsidies because a lawyer that we consulted was very cautious in his response to us with regard to acceptance of this subsidy affecting ability to get citizenship in the future 

If your concern is about citizenship, then pay for their premiums out of pocket and claim them as your dependent. Do your parents have funds/income coming from their home country to offset the medical cost?

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I assume when someone sponsors Parents they are looking for them to come, stay and live with them for a long time.

So the issues to be considered are long term, Heath provision is one of the more obvious factors as Parents will be older, many times they will not be able to obtain benefits USC's will have through working here and accruing benefits.

So what they can say get is 2019 is certainly an issue but you really need to look long term.

Long term they can get Medicaid and pay the premiums  Our only other option was to leave them in another country with no physical or emotional support.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Medicare, there is a difference, the common ish situation we see here is where people do not have the funds, good to hear that your Parents can afford it, most seemingly can not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

Well if one qualifies for the subsidy, then why wouldn't one accept it unless it is under false information. 

In regards to the US citizenship, the ACA subsidy won't have any effect on it.

You can make a reasonable assumption on how things are considered now, I certainly have no idea how they will be considered next year never mind in 5 years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You can make a reasonable assumption on how things are considered now, I certainly have no idea how they will be considered next year never mind in 5 years.

The way things are going, ACA won't last long. Need paying members to keep it going, but with the penalty going away starting this year, where's the subsidy going to come from?

You've been here long enough that most folks just want to bring their loved one here ASAP, but don't often think/plan for the future.

Edited by Umka36

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

The way things are going, ACA won't last long. Need paying members to keep it going, but with the penalty going away starting this year, where's the subsidy going to come from?

You've been here long enough that most folks just want to bring their loved one here ASAP, but don't often think/plan for the future.

I went through the consideration process some time back, my Parents have passed but they were comfortably off, with all their medical issues in their last few years they would have been bankrupt in no time here.

Edited by Boiler

Just now, Boiler said:

I went through the consideration process some time back, my Parents have passed but they were comfortably off, with all their medical issues in their last few years they would have been bankrupt in no time here.

This isn't anything new, even the US born elderly folks run into this problem.  

Timeline
Just now, Umka36 said:

This isn't anything new, even the US born elderly folks run into this problem.  

Absolutely, at least they do not need to buy into Medicare, even with that best not to have health issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, Boiler said:

I assume when someone sponsors Parents they are looking for them to come, stay and live with them for a long time.

So the issues to be considered are long term, Heath provision is one of the more obvious factors as Parents will be older, many times they will not be able to obtain benefits USC's will have through working here and accruing benefits.

So what they can say get is 2019 is certainly an issue but you really need to look long term.

^ this.  Thanks Boiler for replying to my other thread too.  

As someone who is considering petitioning my parents, this is topic one for us before even looking at filing paperwork.  My parents can pay for premiums out of pocket but it's not about the premiums.  Premiums are paid when nothing happens... you have to think about when something does.  Being the sole care taker of my parents, I have 2 choices for them when they age (they are just under 60). 

1) Put them in a retirement home and visit as often as I can OR move temporarily for however long, leaving my kids and husband here.  This would mean I would have to take a leave from my business as my business is physically located here.  Yes, there are assisted living facilities that are subsidized or covered in BC.  However, my grandfathers last few years of life in one of them, in the core of Vancouver, was horrendous.  Which is why my parents planned to move into a retirement home if I wasn't there... but even then, those homes could run you $200+ a day on the high end (or on average $3600/month).   

2) Move them over now while they are still young, they can work PT to accrue credits (though they are not in need of those credits because they can pay for private insurance out of pocket), and plan for old age to continue on private insurance PLUS expenses for when something happens.  

Even combing through everything and being in a lucky position to be able to pay out of pocket for insurance, it's a very daunting decision. 

OP, I hope you find something that fits for your family. 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

EDIT - wanted to add this to my other post but was too late.

Insurance is so finicky here.  I have friends who pay outrages monthly premiums and still had to pay $5000 to deliver their child at Kaiser (on rotation OB's, hit or miss experiences).  I paid $300 and I had an incredible experience (with Hoag) with a lot of extra care and our premiums are partially subsidized by my husbands work & mine are paid for privately.  My friends had appointments scattered throughout their pregnancy.  Whereas, I had my monthly appointments, then it turned into weekly and twice a week (was some complications towards the end).  I couldn't believe that my friends were paying 3x monthly in premiums than I was but getting 1/4 the level of care.  With this information, I started combing through a ton of insurance policies.  There are different levels that go from Bronze to Platinum and whether you go with someone like Blue Shield or Oscar/Kaiser.  A premium plan for Kaiser can be equivalent to a silver plan at Blue Shield... depending on your parents situation, look into plans that cover their aging progression.  The best of the best care for elderly looks to be around $1500+/per person/per month.  This is just premiums with a -$10,000 maximum out of pocket amount. 

Edited by Lights

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.