Jump to content
luna1321

N-400 RFE during the interview. How long does it take to get it?

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Maybe someone had a similar experience and can help with advice...

 

I had my naturalization interview on Feb 14th, 2019. I applied based on marriage after 3 years of residency. The interview went horribly bad, the officer was extremely mean and acted like I'm a criminal and it's some kind of interrogation...at the end of the interview he said that decision can not be made yet and he most likely will send me RFE to prove marriage relationship and living together (even though I've attached all possible proofs like taxes, lease, bank statements, insurance, pictures etc.. and moreover my husband even came to the interview with me but the officer didn't want to speak with him).

 

So, it's been 3 weeks so far and no updates whatsoever. No RFE, no approval, no denial...nothing. The status of my case is still displayed as "The interview was scheduled". I called USCIS today and they said no action has been taken yet. How long does it typically take for them? Most of the stories I heard people received RFE right after the interview or the next day...

 

Is there anything I can do to speed up this situation? Please advice. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, luna1321 said:

Hi,

 

Maybe someone had a similar experience and can help with advice...

 

I had my naturalization interview on Feb 14th, 2019. I applied based on marriage after 3 years of residency. The interview went horribly bad, the officer was extremely mean and acted like I'm a criminal and it's some kind of interrogation...at the end of the interview he said that decision can not be made yet and he most likely will send me RFE to prove marriage relationship and living together (even though I've attached all possible proofs like taxes, lease, bank statements, insurance, pictures etc.. and moreover my husband even came to the interview with me but the officer didn't want to speak with him).

 

So, it's been 3 weeks so far and no updates whatsoever. No RFE, no approval, no denial...nothing. The status of my case is still displayed as "The interview was scheduled". I called USCIS today and they said no action has been taken yet. How long does it typically take for them? Most of the stories I heard people received RFE right after the interview or the next day...

 

Is there anything I can do to speed up this situation? Please advice. Thank you!

No, USCIS has 120 days from your date of interview to make a decision. You cannot do anything before 120 days

 

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartB-Chapter4.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luna1321 said:

Hi,

 

Maybe someone had a similar experience and can help with advice...

 

I had my naturalization interview on Feb 14th, 2019. I applied based on marriage after 3 years of residency. The interview went horribly bad, the officer was extremely mean and acted like I'm a criminal and it's some kind of interrogation...at the end of the interview he said that decision can not be made yet and he most likely will send me RFE to prove marriage relationship and living together (even though I've attached all possible proofs like taxes, lease, bank statements, insurance, pictures etc.. and moreover my husband even came to the interview with me but the officer didn't want to speak with him).

 

So, it's been 3 weeks so far and no updates whatsoever. No RFE, no approval, no denial...nothing. The status of my case is still displayed as "The interview was scheduled". I called USCIS today and they said no action has been taken yet. How long does it typically take for them? Most of the stories I heard people received RFE right after the interview or the next day...

 

Is there anything I can do to speed up this situation? Please advice. Thank you!

Did you bring most updated documents of your evidences? Did the officer ask you to provide one during interview?

What I know, they  usually ask for the most updated documents to check if the marriage is still on going or not even you brought your husband on the day of your interview.


VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, Lemon23 said:

Did you bring most updated documents of your evidences? Did the officer ask you to provide one during interview?

What I know, they  usually ask for the most updated documents to check if the marriage is still on going or not even you brought your husband on the day of your interview.

Well, I just followed their guidelines and brought all originals of previously submitted documents...The officer didn't ask about anything specific...just said: "most likely you will need to provide more evidence" 🙁

another sad part is that my I-751 is pending for almost 21 months at this point and I guess it was supposed to be resolved during the N-400 interview which obviously didn't happen as well...so now I don't have a green card or naturalization certificate just an old stamp in my passport which will expire soon...😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, luna1321 said:

Well, I just followed their guidelines and brought all originals of previously submitted documents...The officer didn't ask about anything specific...just said: "most likely you will need to provide more evidence" 🙁

another sad part is that my I-751 is pending for almost 21 months at this point and I guess it was supposed to be resolved during the N-400 interview which obviously didn't happen as well...so now I don't have a green card or naturalization certificate just an old stamp in my passport which will expire soon...😭

I guess you're pretty new on VJ that's why you're not aware how USCIS works, they do asked more evidences specially the most updated one even if its not listed on the letter.


VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

I guess you're pretty new on VJ that's why you're not aware how USCIS works, they do asked more evidences specially the most updated one even if its not listed on the letter.

 

I guess was pretty stupid to rely on their guidelines, since yeah it is USCIS lol. I just didn't expect any problems because my K1 and first green card interviews passed super smoothly and we never had an issue with evidence (always submitted a bunch of stuff with original applications...)

I guess just a matter of luck in this system...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, luna1321 said:

 

I guess was pretty stupid to rely on their guidelines, since yeah it is USCIS lol. I just didn't expect any problems because my K1 and first green card interviews passed super smoothly and we never had an issue with evidence (always submitted a bunch of stuff with original applications...)

I guess just a matter of luck in this system...

You're right, I gathered a lot of most recent evidences as much as I could, because I dont want more delayed on the process, since you will never know when they are going to touch again your application.

I guess I'm well prepared for my interview next month, what I'm missing right now is the 2018 transcript tax filing which is something that I'm waiting from the mail. I hope I will get it before my interview, if not I'll just download from the website and bring the 1044 instead to show we filed jointly and recently.


VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, luna1321 said:

 

I guess was pretty stupid to rely on their guidelines, since yeah it is USCIS lol. I just didn't expect any problems because my K1 and first green card interviews passed super smoothly and we never had an issue with evidence (always submitted a bunch of stuff with original applications...)

I guess just a matter of luck in this system...

Any  developments?

RFE's are usually issued within 30 days of the interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, martincook said:

Any  developments?

RFE's are usually issued within 30 days of the interview.

No at all :( Only receiving this message every 2 weeks - They didn't even touch my case since the interview.

 

Quote

We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time
 
We will notify you when your case status changes. We last took action on your case on February 14, 2019.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, luna1321 said:

No at all :( Only receiving this message every 2 weeks - They didn't even touch my case since the interview.

 

 

Did u give then your 2018 joint tax return or any new evidence of continuing relationship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, martincook said:

Did u give then your 2018 joint tax return or any new evidence of continuing relationship?

 

 

Well, as stated above I didn't bring NEW evidence to the interview. Only originals of the old one.

A couple of weeks ago I uploaded some new evidence into my personal online account as additional documents section for my case (even though it says that USCIS technically not required to look at them) - it was a recent statement from our joint bank account, lease extension, envelope to our address with both names on it and 10 more pictures.

We didn't file taxes yet therefore don't have 2018 return. Do you think it might be useful to do it asap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, luna1321 said:

 

 

Well, as stated above I didn't bring NEW evidence to the interview. Only originals of the old one.

A couple of weeks ago I uploaded some new evidence into my personal online account as additional documents section for my case (even though it says that USCIS technically not required to look at them) - it was a recent statement from our joint bank account, lease extension, envelope to our address with both names on it and 10 more pictures.

We didn't file taxes yet therefore don't have 2018 return. Do you think it might be useful to do it asap?

Yes in case they issue RFE, joint tax return will be a great evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, martincook said:

Yes in case they issue RFE, joint tax return will be a great evidence.

Thank you, I think it's good advice to fill it now. April is coming soon anyway lol.

Eh, I really hope they will get to look at my case soon. So tired of waiting (21 months since filled green card ROC and nothing there as well). Living with the extension letters/stamp in my passport for almost 2 years...😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...