caiban1234

Question about filling form N400: Is traffic violation one kind of crime?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am filling form n400 and have a question.
Here is my situation: I have traffic violation. All of them are misdemeanor (NO DUI or any thing serious). I have traffic tickets and parking ticket and i paid them all in full. There is one traffic ticket: i drove on wrong lane and didn't carry car insurance. For this one, i went to court and i admitted that was my fault to drove on wrong lane and showed my valid car insurance. Luckily Judge didn't charge me anything and let me go.

For part 12: Additional Information About You. Question 22 to 27. i confuse the term "crime". Is traffic violation one kind of crime?

Here is my answer for questions. Please let me know if i am correct:

22: Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested?
--> My answer: YES. Cause i got traffic ticket and not get arrested

23: Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?
---> My Answer: YES. I got cited for traffic violation

24: Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?
---> My Answer: YES. I got charged for some traffic tickets and paid them in full.

25: Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?
---> My Answer: YES. I assume traffic violation is one kind of crime. Even thought they are misdemeanor

26: Have you EVER been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program (for example, diversion, deferred prosecution, withheld adjudication, deferred adjudication)?
---> My Answer: NO . I am not sure about this answer

27: A Have you EVER received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled?
---> My Answer: NO

Please let me know if any of my answer is wrong.

I had a traffic violation from 2010. I didn't note it on my application because I honestly forgot it and didn't realize it was considered a "citation".  I only thought about it after reading through some of these topics and realized traffic tickets are citations. I went and found court records online of the offense and that I paid the ticket. 

I just had my interview last week and brought the court documents with me showing I paid. The office just took my copy and updated my application and told me I didn't have to mention it because it was less than $500 but she will take the info and update my application. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

I would only answer "Yes" to # 23. 

Agree. A traffic citation is typically known as an infraction - not a crime. Don't sweat it.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would only answer "Yes" to # 23. 

Agree. A traffic citation is typically known as an infraction - not a crime. Don't sweat it.

So you mean Yes to question 23. And NO to all other questions?

Edited by caiban1234

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.