Deloria

J1 physician (resident) - hardship spouse waiver

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am J1 physician, finishing medical residency in June 2019, after that J1 status via ECFMG expires (+30 day grace period)

I am transitioning to Fellowship, so should get J1 extension for another year.

Currently applying for J1 Hardship Waiver through US citizen spouse,

Sent in my waiver packed around September/October 2018

USCIS received documents on November 9 and sent me the receipt with receipt number

DOS received documents on November 23.

116771383_ScreenShot2019-03-02at8_41_52AM.png.23b3d48fc43bcdaba8403ea3fed3b35d.png

No updates since then.

California Service center states processing time 12-18 months for applications received in August 2017.

When I go to USCIS website to check the case status, they say that receipt number does not exist.

Calling USCIS - they assure me that the case is pending, but it takes a long time to even update their website.

You, veterans of VJ, please untangle my confusion and shed some light on the situation, where am I currently at and how long till I hear anything else from USCIS/DOS

Thank you so much!

Yeah but... if you're in the US then why your US spouse cant just apply for adjustment of status for you? You dont want a green card or you dont plan on remaining in the US? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

Yeah but... if you're in the US then why your US spouse cant just apply for adjustment of status for you? You dont want a green card or you dont plan on remaining in the US? 

I am a subject to 2 year rule requirement for home country after completion of my training.

The 2 year rule is what I am trying to waive.

10 minutes ago, Deloria said:

I am a subject to 2 year rule requirement for home country after completion of my training.

The 2 year rule is what I am trying to waive.

Ah sorry. I missed that. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

For some reason, on USCIS website, when I try to enter the receipt number,

I get this message

"My Case Status does not recognize the receipt number entered. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283."

Did someone experience similar situation?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Deloria said:

Been checking the status every day and today the DOS website showing this:

Any idea what this might mean?

BD06FA8D-84E7-40FC-8D4D-F269C9F394D9.jpeg

Many applicants are facing this issue and it looks system bug (error) due to some recent update on their site and should be fine in a day or two. So no need to worry on this. This is common technological thing!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.