Toforo

The collision of PHIL passport renewal and N400/citizenship

23 posts in this topic

My wife's PHIL passport expires in December of 2019 this year. No big deal, there is a consular outreach next month for a simple renewal -

BUT....

We are in the process of her N400/USA Citizenship. Her package is complete/accepted, biometrics done - waiting for test/interview. I really don't see this as taking 8-10 months, although I guess it's possible. At the completion, we intend for her to become dual-citizen.

Question:
Since she has to "renounce" and theoretically give-up/surrender her PHIL passport upon USA citizenship, should we just skip the PHIL Outreach Renewal next month and and apply for her PHIL dual-citizenship later this year after she gets her USA citizenship?
To me, it seems kind of redundant to renew a passport (that expires in Dec 2019) when it will be invalid soon anyway.
(No, she doesn't plan to travel until after her USA citizenship)

Thoughts? Experiences? Input? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The moment your wife completes her Oath for U.S. citizenship her Philippine citizenship is gone .. along with the passport.

As long as you have no plans to travel in the near future I would suggest to wait on the renewal of the Philippine passport until after completing Dual Citizenship

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

9 minutes ago, Toforo said:

Since she has to "renounce" and theoretically give-up/surrender her PHIL passport upon USA citizenship, should we just skip the PHIL Outreach Renewal next month and and apply for her PHIL dual-citizenship later this year after she gets her USA citizenship?
To me, it seems kind of redundant to renew a passport (that expires in Dec 2019) when it will be invalid soon anyway.
(No, she doesn't plan to travel until after her USA citizenship)

I agree, it's redundant. Just wait until she becomes a U.S. citizen to apply for both reacquisition of Philippine citizenship and a new Philippine passport at the Chicago consulate:

Edited by accumbyte

5 hours ago, Hank_ said:

The moment your wife completes her Oath for U.S. citizenship her Philippine citizenship is gone .. along with the passport.

As long as you have no plans to travel in the near future I would suggest to wait on the renewal of the Philippine passport until after completing Dual Citizenship

I don't think this is correct.  My wife's filipina friend just got her citizenship about a month ago and she said she got to keep her passport.  My wife has her oath on Monday, so I'll let you know if they take it or not.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kevo said:

I don't think this is correct.  My wife's filipina friend just got her citizenship about a month ago and she said she got to keep her passport.  My wife has her oath on Monday, so I'll let you know if they take it or not.  

US won't take her passport because the US does not care if someone has dual citizenship.  

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Kevo said:

U.S. government does not take the Philippine passport .. it is not theirs to take, it is the property of the Philippine government.

It is very simple; passports are issued to CITIZENS, once you are no longer a Philippine citizen your Philippine passport is not valid.   It isn't rocket science.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Kevo said:

I don't think this is correct.

It is correct; Philippine law is clear.

1 hour ago, Kevo said:

My wife's filipina friend just got her citizenship about a month ago and she said she got to keep her passport.

Let your wife's friend know that the Philippines no longer recognizes that Philippine passport as valid. If she takes no further action, then she will just be a citizen of the US. If she wants to reacquire her Philippine citizenship in order to be a dual US and Philippine citizen then it's a straightforward process. If she lives in Utah then she can apply for both reacquisition of Philippine citizenship and a new Philippine passport at the San Francisco consulate:

Edited by accumbyte

I was just referring to the statement made that said the Philippine passport is gone.  They do get to keep it, and I believe they can use it as proof of being a former citizen for Balikbayan stamp purposes.   

1 hour ago, Kevo said:

I was just referring to the statement made that said the Philippine passport is gone.  They do get to keep it, and I believe they can use it as proof of being a former citizen for Balikbayan stamp purposes.   

It doesn't matter if you have an old expired passport or one that's no longer "valid"  and you keep it - it's no longer valid, not even for identification purposes - Try to USE it and it's trouble.
Being a FORMER citizen doesn't give you any "former citizen" rights.

My wife's  PHIL Postal ID card, her PHIL Unified Multi-Purpose ID card, her PHIL Department of Finance/Bureau of Internal Revenue ID card, her Home Development Mutual Fund ID card, and her PhilHealth ID card are all still valid for those things in PHIL that she needs.

I have 4 old expired US passports laying around and I keep them only as "memories" of when I was where and doing something. If I try to use them for anything, it's tantamount to fraud.

Passports are for travel and need to be valid.

When your friend renounces her PHIL citizenship when she takes her oath, it will be "in the system" that her PHIL passport is no longer valid.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kevo said:

Of course the naturalized citizen keeps their original country passport. 

My wife carried her invalid passport when traveling .. she did present it when she got our BB stamp, but I am not sure that was necessary.   The U.S. passport shows country of birth as the Philippines.

Now she is a dual citizen

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

8 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Thanks Hank_  - Since I first  joined, you've always replied with good answers and pointed me in the right direction.

We decided NOT to renew her passport at the upcoming "Consular Outreach" - and instead, wait until later in the year when it's (hopefully) time to do the dual-citizenship process.

Now it's time to wait until the interview!

Cheers!

Thank you everyone for your responses!

We decided NOT to renew her passport at the upcoming "Consular Outreach" - and instead, wait until later in the year when it's (hopefully) time to do the dual-citizenship process.

Now it's time to wait until the interview!

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Toforo said:

It doesn't matter if you have an old expired passport or one that's no longer "valid"  and you keep it - it's no longer valid, not even for identification purposes - Try to USE it and it's trouble.
Being a FORMER citizen doesn't give you any "former citizen" rights.

Returning Balikbayans or former Filipinos may enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for a period of one (1) year, provided that they have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the intended stay in the Philippines and proof of former Philippine citizenship (e.g. old Philippine passport or NSO-authenticated birth certificate). Foreign spouses and children traveling with the Balikbayan will enjoy this privilege.

http://www.vancouverpcg.org/q-a-visa-q01-needvisa.html

4 hours ago, Hank_ said:

U.S. passport also shows their country of birth  ;)  

Two of my kids have Germany listed on their passports for country of birth - and neither are, or ever were, German citizens.  That doesn't prove citizenship or former citizenship.  An old passport, as the consulate office listed, would. ;) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.