issea

cost for medical exam

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would like to know how much at maximum could it cost for completing the form I-693? 

My situation is a bit complicated since I have a job outside the residency state and I will have my interview at the local CIS office in the residency state. The interview date is approaching and I haven't done my medical exam yet. In fact, I did it half way because I already paid $150 to the doctor for filling the form but didn't complete the lab test as requested since I left for work shortly after last visit. No one expects that we will get the interview so fast, leaving me no room to schedule another trip to complete the medical exam. Now I am thinking to do it over in my working state with another doctor. But by doing so I have to pay the cost for the lab tests, in addition to the filling form fee ($200 - $400 local price), because my health insurance is under my spouse policy in the residency state that all providers out of state are considered out of network and the deductible is $250 for each charge, while in state we have 0 co-pay for all the tests and vaccinations.  

I fear it might cost me a lot to do it over in my working state. So I am asking if anyone knows the upper bound for the cost if all are out of one's own pocket? 

Thanks a lot. 

Edited by issea

10 minutes ago, issea said:

I fear it might cost me a lot to do it over in my working state. So I am asking if anyone knows the upper bound for the cost if all are out of one's own pocket? 

None of this is immigration related. Anyhow, I don't think there is an upper limit to the cost. It's whatever the physician charges. I've heard people paid upwards of $800-$900. When I did mine years ago, I believe it was around $300-$400, and the guy didn't accept insurance or didn't want to work with insurance or something like that, but it was the most convenient for me so I paid upfront  and later I submitted a claim to my insurance and got most of the cost back. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

While you might have some luck getting an insurance reimbursement like @USS_Voyager, most insurers wouldn't cover anything past vaccinations and possibly bloodwork if you can convince them that it was a part of an annual physical. 

Just get your vaccinations, if any, at a pharmacy. The rest, plan for it to be purely out of pocket, and best case, insurance does end up reimbursing. 

There's no rhyme or reason for the costs. I paid $280, including the form and all bloodwork, but no vaccines since whatever I was missing I got to elsewhere under insurance. I've also seen people paying way into high 100s, nearing a $1k. It depends on where you go. If you think it makes sense, you can go to a civil surgeon in another state and swallow the travel costs, if it ends up being cheaper. Call around. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

15 minutes ago, eckoin said:

if you can convince them that it was a part of an annual physical

I think that how I was able to convince them, that was to bill it as an annual physical. Vaccinations should be covered 100% under any half decent insurance plan. But yep, basically I just submit the paperwork as a physical and for some strange reason, I just chose to go to that doctor for that visit and not my normal doctor. And they bought it. I didn't get all of the cost back though, but probably 80-90%. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I think that how I was able to convince them, that was to bill it as an annual physical. Vaccinations should be covered 100% under any half decent insurance plan. But yep, basically I just submit the paperwork as a physical and for some strange reason, I just chose to go to that doctor for that visit and not my normal doctor. And they bought it. I didn't get all of the cost back though, but probably 80-90%. 

Yeah, I've heard of that. Our plan covers all vaccinations 100% no questions asked, but we can't get a physical that's only blood tests (and at a clinic that doesn't do physicals, which is what our local surgeons offer), but either way it's be under a deductible. So it depends. No harm in submitting the claim anyway, but like I said, plan for the worst--zero reimbursement--and hope for the best. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks guys for your input. 

I just made an appointment tomorrow for a local civil surgeon who charges $350 including vaccinations but excluding lab tests. He is a bit expensive comparing to the other doctor I called who charges $200 for the form but nothing else is included. I may not need any vaccination except for the one for chickenpox because I miss this record, but my gut feeling tells me this guy may make me worry free since he is in a medical group where lab tests will be done easily instead individual doctor office. 

Still it's not easy let it go that I paid $150 for nothing 😝. Can I file a claim for reimbursement for the prepaid service? 

Edited by issea

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.