JulienR

L1 visa after filing I-130 spouse petition from abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with this probably unusual situation. My wife is USC and I am French, currently living in France. We decided recently to move to the US. We just filed an I-130 petition with USCI. In the meantime, we started looking for jobs in the US as getting a job offer would allow us to file another petition through direct consular filing at the Paris embassy and that would be a much quicker process than the USCIS-NVC one. My company has offices in the US and I contacted them just in case but thinking there would be a very low chance of getting transfered. It turned out they have a position matching my profile that they are having a hard time filling and I had a first interview. One thing that came up and plays against me is the visa issue, even with consular processing in Paris it will take 2-3 months to get the visa. Now, I have have learned that my company has  a blanket L1 visa allowance. The L1 visa would take less than a month to get. My concern is that this is a non immigrant visa and we want to permanently move to the US. I understand you can apply for an employment based green card with your employer as a sponsor when your are on an L1 visa but there is still a risk that they don't get the Labor Certification. So I was wondering if I could go to the US on the L1 visa and continue the CR1 application process from there?

Thanks.

For our story, look at my profile.

You can enter the US on an L1 with the I130 petition under process.

Edit: L1 visa allows for dual intent.

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

L1 is dual intent visa and having I-130 will have no negative effect on CR1.  If you go through L1 and want your employer to file petition, it will be I-140 and if from your USC spouse, it will be I-130. My experience says: I-130 will be much easier to be approved by USCIS than employment based I-140 these days. Once you are in US on L1 visa > your spouse can file I-130 and I-485 together (this is optional, you can also file only I-130 and later I-485 for AOS if you want but filing together will save few months time), 

Source: i was on L1 once.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
15 hours ago, Airman said:

L1 is dual intent visa and having I-130 will have no negative effect on CR1.  If you go through L1 and want your employer to file petition, it will be I-140 and if from your USC spouse, it will be I-130. My experience says: I-130 will be much easier to be approved by USCIS than employment based I-140 these days. Once you are in US on L1 visa > your spouse can file I-130 and I-485 together (this is optional, you can also file only I-130 and later I-485 for AOS if you want but filing together will save few months time), 

Source: i was on L1 once.

Thank you for the information.

We have already filed  I-130 from France (NOA 02/07) as we didn't know if one of us would be able to get a job from here and it takes so long to be processed. From what you are saying I understand I can still go in he US with an L1 visa as it is a "dual intent" visa and that won't affect the pending I-130 application. But instead of going through NVC and the consular process for the green card, I file  I-485 for AOS once in the US. Is that correct?

For our story, look at my profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.