Jump to content
qfbariza

International travel the night of my Oath ceremony - passport in 1 day?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

My oath ceremony has been scheduled in a few weeks a Wednesday at  8 am. The same day of my oath ceremony I have an international travel at night (8 pm) (not possible to move or cancel, I have to go). 

 

There is a passport agency in my the city of my oath ceremony (San Diego, CA). Can I get a U.S. passport in a few hours? How long does oath ceremony takes? I can schedule appointment with passport agency (10-11am?), fill the forms at home, bring pictures and after my oath ceremony go and request same day passport. I got the info from here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

 

Is this possible? Has anyone done this before? Or should I try to get oath ceremony re-scheduled? 

 

Thanks!

 

Edited by qfbariza
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you say, assuming you can get an appointment at a passport agency office scheduled for after your oath ceremony then theoretically they can issue your passport that same day. 

 

It will be expensive, but if you're willing to pay the additional fees then it can be done. 

 

Your oath ceremony will last approx. 1-2 hours. 

 

All that being said, you may wish to consider rescheduling your oath ceremony since there is no guarantee that DoS will be able to issue your passport on that very day. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

 

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

 

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know in Detroit you can get a passport in a few hours if necessary.  Back when my wife had her oath, we needed to get her a passport fairly quickly and went back to the passport office the next day (my wife had an afternoon oath) and walked in (no appointment).  If you have your naturalization certificate, an immediate travel itinerary and the oath location is near the passport office you should be able to expedite in a few hours.  If you oath ceremony is like my wife's there may actually be a representative from the passport office explaining the process prior to your oath, so you may be able to question them as well..

 

Good Luck! and Safe Travels!


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, qfbariza said:

Hi,

 

My oath ceremony has been scheduled in a few weeks a Wednesday at  8 am. The same day of my oath ceremony I have an international travel at night (8 pm) (not possible to move or cancel, I have to go). 

 

There is a passport agency in my the city of my oath ceremony (San Diego, CA). Can I get a U.S. passport in a few hours? How long does oath ceremony takes? I can schedule appointment with passport agency (10-11am?), fill the forms at home, bring pictures and after my oath ceremony go and request same day passport. I got the info from here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

 

Is this possible? Has anyone done this before? Or should I try to get oath ceremony re-scheduled? 

 

Thanks!

 

For US passports, check the State Department website. For a same day or next day passport,  you need to have some sort of real emergency or an already purchased plane ticket. Look at the links below.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/emergencies.html

 

 

Passport Agencies

You need to show proof of immediate international travel for expedited passport.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 8:15 AM, bestluck said:

For US passports, check the State Department website. For a same day or next day passport,  you need to have some sort of real emergency or an already purchased plane ticket. Look at the links below.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/emergencies.html

 

 

Passport Agencies

You need to show proof of immediate international travel for expedited passport.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies.html

Thanks a lot. I’ll bring my plane tickets and travel plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 8:08 AM, Bill & Katya said:

I know in Detroit you can get a passport in a few hours if necessary.  Back when my wife had her oath, we needed to get her a passport fairly quickly and went back to the passport office the next day (my wife had an afternoon oath) and walked in (no appointment).  If you have your naturalization certificate, an immediate travel itinerary and the oath location is near the passport office you should be able to expedite in a few hours.  If you oath ceremony is like my wife's there may actually be a representative from the passport office explaining the process prior to your oath, so you may be able to question them as well..

 

Good Luck! and Safe Travels!

Thanks a lot. Actually the office is super close 5 min walk from ceremony to passport agency. I hope I have the same luck as your wife did a while ago . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 7:36 AM, Hypnos said:

As you say, assuming you can get an appointment at a passport agency office scheduled for after your oath ceremony then theoretically they can issue your passport that same day. 

 

It will be expensive, but if you're willing to pay the additional fees then it can be done. 

 

Your oath ceremony will last approx. 1-2 hours. 

 

All that being said, you may wish to consider rescheduling your oath ceremony since there is no guarantee that DoS will be able to issue your passport on that very day. 

Thank you! I have heard bad stories about people re-scheduling oath. Plus there is no guarantee that the re-scheduled date will be better. So I guess I’ll risk it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...