James Joyce

864 Question / Most Recent Tax Returns

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am sponsoring my spouse via the 864 for AOS. She recently came over on a K-1 and we got married. I have a question regarding the most recent tax years. We are planning to submit AOS in March, and I haven't done my 2018 taxes yet, so the most recent years I would have is 2017, 2016 and 2015, including a transcript of 2017. Is this fine? I am assuming in question 7 "My current individual annual income" I can answer what my 2018 should come to? Does this sound ok?

Thanks 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 minutes ago, James Joyce said:

Hello,

I am sponsoring my spouse via the 864 for AOS. She recently came over on a K-1 and we got married. I have a question regarding the most recent tax years. We are planning to submit AOS in March, and I haven't done my 2018 taxes yet, so the most recent years I would have is 2017, 2016 and 2015, including a transcript of 2017. Is this fine? I am assuming in question 7 "My current individual annual income" I can answer what my 2018 should come to? Does this sound ok?

Thanks 

Tax season isn't due till mid April, so if you file in March and you didn't do your taxes yet then yes, 2017 transcript and numbers from 2016 and 2015 are fine.

Current annual income is current. If you have a letter from your employer where they state how much you're going to make in 2019, that would help a lot to proof your current income.

1 minute ago, James Joyce said:

Hello,

I am sponsoring my spouse via the 864 for AOS. She recently came over on a K-1 and we got married. I have a question regarding the most recent tax years. We are planning to submit AOS in March, and I haven't done my 2018 taxes yet, so the most recent years I would have is 2017, 2016 and 2015, including a transcript of 2017. Is this fine?

Yes the 2018 ITR is not considered "most recent tax year" until after the filing cut off of April 15th, 2019. If you've filed 2018, you can report that income amount and provide the transcript. If you haven't, it won't matter as long as you submit AOS before April 15th.

1 minute ago, James Joyce said:

I am assuming in question 7 "My current individual annual income" I can answer what my 2018 should come to? Does this sound ok?

Thanks 

You CAN if you provide an Employment Verification Letter plus six months worth of current paystubs to prove that income amount. It would be simpler to just file 2018 and provide the Return Transcript dont you think?

1 minute ago, C90 said:

Tax season isn't due till mid April, so if you file in March and you didn't do your taxes yet then yes, 2017 transcript and numbers from 2016 and 2015 are fine.

Current annual income is current. If you have a letter from your employer where they state how much you're going to make in 2019, that would help a lot to proof your current income.

Thank you so much. So you are saying *current* means my 2019 income? It's going to be quite similar to 2018, just funny how when I submit in March I have 2017 tax transcript and current 2019 income listed, but I guess that's how it works out.

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes the 2018 ITR is not considered "most recent tax year" until after the filing cut off of April 15th, 2019. If you've filed 2018, you can report that income amount and provide the transcript. If you haven't, it won't matter as long as you submit AOS before April 15th.

You CAN if you provide an Employment Verification Letter plus six months worth of current paystubs to prove that income amount. It would be simpler to just file 2018 and provide the Return Transcript dont you think?

Ok thanks. I'm self-employed so I don't really have employment verification. I don't think I will have my taxes ready before submitting either. I am over the income requirements on my 2017 return and I have substantial bank account statements I am including, so I hope this is enough?

2 minutes ago, James Joyce said:

Ok thanks. I'm self-employed so I don't really have employment verification. I don't think I will have my taxes ready before submitting either. I am over the income requirements on my 2017 return and I have substantial bank account statements I am including, so I hope this is enough?

If 2017 ITR meets the FPGLs for your household, then you should be fine with that alone. 2016, 2015 is optional and assets are too.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 minutes ago, James Joyce said:

Thank you so much. So you are saying *current* means my 2019 income? It's going to be quite similar to 2018, just funny how when I submit in March I have 2017 tax transcript and current 2019 income listed, but I guess that's how it works out.

Yes, 2019 income. Since you're self employed I'm not sure what you should provide to proof current income, but I think that's in the instructions. Prob bank statements are good, but I'm not familiar with how self employment works combined with the I-864

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.