saad2605

Passport Validity

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone might be able to guide me for this situation. I am filing for a K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I will be filing within the next few days if everything is good. My only concern is her passport validity. Her passport is set to expire in January 15th 2020. If everything is approved, I'm assuming that it would be processed and approved around September or October. I would be going to bring her with me in Early January. Would her passport validity be an issue for her K-1 Visa?

Appreciate any guidance. Please let me know if there is more information or clarification needed. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
16 minutes ago, saad2605 said:

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone might be able to guide me for this situation. I am filing for a K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I will be filing within the next few days if everything is good. My only concern is her passport validity. Her passport is set to expire in January 15th 2020. If everything is approved, I'm assuming that it would be processed and approved around September or October. I would be going to bring her with me in Early January. Would her passport validity be an issue for her K-1 Visa?

Appreciate any guidance. Please let me know if there is more information or clarification needed. 

As long as her passport isn't expired the moment she enters the country on her K1 visa she should be fine. Just keep in mind it's a pain in the ### and usually a lot more expensive to get her passport renewed here instead of in her home country. 

She can renew her passport already before filing, or renew her passport before she has the K1 interview. It won't impact the interview. I would consider one of these options instead of entering with a passport that's only valid a few more days after she enters.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No need to delay filing the petition if you have all the requirements ready.  After filing, ask your fiancee to renew her passport before completing her DS-160, so she can enter her new passport details in the form.

Also, what country is she from?  In my country, people are usually not allowed to fly out with a passport that's valid for less than 6 months.  Checking is done by airlines upon check-in or by exit immigration officers.  This is because of the difficulty in renewing the passport when abroad.  Might be good to check if your fiancee's country has similar rules.

23 hours ago, C90 said:

As long as her passport isn't expired the moment she enters the country on her K1 visa she should be fine. Just keep in mind it's a pain in the ### and usually a lot more expensive to get her passport renewed here instead of in her home country. 

She can renew her passport already before filing, or renew her passport before she has the K1 interview. It won't impact the interview. I would consider one of these options instead of entering with a passport that's only valid a few more days after she enters.

21 hours ago, Ate said:

No need to delay filing the petition if you have all the requirements ready.  After filing, ask your fiancee to renew her passport before completing her DS-160, so she can enter her new passport details in the form.

Also, what country is she from?  In my country, people are usually not allowed to fly out with a passport that's valid for less than 6 months.  Checking is done by airlines upon check-in or by exit immigration officers.  This is because of the difficulty in renewing the passport when abroad.  Might be good to check if your fiancee's country has similar rules.

Thank you guys. Thats what I really wanted to see was that if I file her application and then she renews her passport, if that would be an issue. But I guess I'll move forward with that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.