Fearvier

Received a weird Appointment Notice after already having first Interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently an Adjustment of Status beneficiary through my wife who's a US citizen. We got married in April of 2017, filed for my AoS on August of 2017, and had our I-485 interview on Nov, 2018. Our first interview went incredibly well, with us mostly smiling and making comments at each other, which ended with the officer stating that she needed to submit the case to her supervisor for a review and telling us the terms for the 2 year green card and renewal process. We were told that we'd receive an RFE about my transcript and financials, which we responded to in December. Then in January we received an RFE addressed to my wife (I-130) asking for proof of bona fide marriage. The Field office Directory recently has changed inbetween receiving our two RFEs. We literally responded and sent it back last week.

Today, I received a letter addressed to me(the beneficiary) stating an appointment in middle of March, 2019 at Imperial Field Office. The letter doesn't state that it would be videotaped, it simply says "Ask for: Duty Officer, Reason for Appointment: I-485 interview." In the "Bring with you" section it says both me and my wife must be present, 2 forms of valid ID, this letter, and bring a list of ALL addresses and time on each while in the US." I've attached a copy of the letter. I'm also including a link to HQ version just in case it's unreadable: https://imgur.com/a/UxKmyHT

I'm thoroughly confused as to the purpose of such appointment. Is it a Stokes interview? Is it a general follow up interview?

I also heard here that if this form is addressed to the beneficiary it's not a stokes but if it's addressed to the petitioner it is? I'm not sure if that's true or not. In any case, I'd really love it if someone could shed a light on what the heck might it be.

USCIS.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I think it's a Stokes Interview. There is no other reason to call you guys again when both of you were interviewed already. Why were you guys making comments at each other? Some officers become suspicious when people get too friendly or too relaxed. Take it seriously this time and just answer the questions and try not to act like as if you are there to meet a friend. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, gajbaldauri said:

Why were you guys making comments at each other? Some officers become suspicious when people get too friendly or too relaxed. Take it seriously this time and just answer the questions and try not to act like as if you are there to meet a friend. 

Because the officer herself was friendly. We answered the questions she asked, and when she commented about something we replied lightheartedly, y'know, like a conversation. No one's underestimating the seriousness of the actual interview, but you usually need to read the room, no?

13 hours ago, Fearvier said:

I'm thoroughly confused as to the purpose of such appointment. Is it a Stokes interview? Is it a general follow up interview?

I also heard here that if this form is addressed to the beneficiary it's not a stokes but if it's addressed to the petitioner it is? I'm not sure if that's true or not. In any case, I'd really love it if someone could shed a light on what the heck might it be.

Well the letter obviously says REASON FOR APPOINTMENT: I-485 Interview. The petitioner and beneficiary must appear. 

Read nothing more nothing less into it. Decipher it literally. Show up, and if this is a bonafide marriage, you should be good for whatever entails that day. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.