J❤️J

Dual citizenship for Canadian/US infant

4 posts in this topic

Just curious if there is anyone here in a similar situation....

I am Canadian. My husband is American. I came to the US a couple months ago on the K1 Visa. Our first child (a baby girl 🥰) will be born in a few days/1 week from now.

I filed my AOS, attended my biometrics appointment but have not yet received my green card, advanced parole, authorization for employment. I haven't received my interview date either. I filed all my paperwork mid-September.

1) Is this a normal time to wait?

2) we want to register our daughter as a dual citizen (us/Canada). First, we would like to get her her own US passport. How can I do this if I do not have proof I am here legally (I don't have my green card yet)

Is there anyone here who has had a child with their spouse who came in on a K1 Visa and had the child BEFORE their spouse received their green card? Any advice?

US Passport: you apply with her birth certificate.  No need to show you are a permanent resident yet. 

Once she has her passport, you can request her proof of Canadian citizenship by filing the form online.  You do need to get an ID for her to apply, so US passport is the first step.  Should you need certified copies, you can reach out to your local consulate or use and American notary (usually free at your financial institution or library).  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
18 minutes ago, J❤️J said:

Just curious if there is anyone here in a similar situation....

I am Canadian. My husband is American. I came to the US a couple months ago on the K1 Visa. Our first child (a baby girl 🥰) will be born in a few days/1 week from now.

I filed my AOS, attended my biometrics appointment but have not yet received my green card, advanced parole, authorization for employment. I haven't received my interview date either. I filed all my paperwork mid-September.

1) Is this a normal time to wait?

2) we want to register our daughter as a dual citizen (us/Canada). First, we would like to get her her own US passport. How can I do this if I do not have proof I am here legally (I don't have my green card yet)

Is there anyone here who has had a child with their spouse who came in on a K1 Visa and had the child BEFORE their spouse received their green card? Any advice?

USCIS just started working on September EAD/AP. and they're also still working on August, so it's normal you didn't hear anything yet. September filer myself, we hope to hear something mid February - mid March. Depending on you local office a GC interview can go as fast as a few months after filing to 12-33 months after filing. You can find the estimated processing times of your local office via https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/. Congrats in advance with your baby girl :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very normal for the wait time. 

In Canada's eyes she will be Canadian at birth. You only need proof to get her SIN and other Canadian benefits. As you will be living in the US she won't need any of that right away so don't stress yourself trying to get it all done asap.

My daughter is 7 will be 8 in June and and son is turning 5. I still haven't got around to it. I will apply the next time we are in Canada because it will be the easiest way to get the Passport Pictures  rather then fight for the right size here. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.