jakejon

Driving in US coming from UK

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, LukeU said:

The driving itself doesn't bother Courtney other than the speed cameras....again, lead footed. It's the manual gearbox as she's only ever driven an automatic. We're doing it this time for certain but I don't think I'll make her drive through central London (literally, across Vauxhall bridge) to get to our Airbnb....not because I'm feeling kind but because I don't want to pay to respray the car :-P 

I find their markings much more confusing, especially the central turning lane. That still gets me over there. 

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Around here, they call that the suicide lane. 😂 

My wife already knew how to drive a manual from having a little sports car years ago and it all came back to her even though she had to shift with the opposite hand. Courtney would enjoy driving on the autobahn in Germany. We did that in my car.

The road markings in Vegas are so poor. Hardly much paint and just them stud things. Definitely going to get Jake to drive in the UK when we got back later this year (and with a manual). Center turning lanes still throw me off a little as sometimes they are that poorly marked here, i need up driving more than i should in it. When I first heard of 'suicide lane', I turned to Jake and said as if I'm driving in a lane called 'Suicide' LOL!!! 

Geico kept sending Jake nasty letters saying that I had until May to get a DL (or else they would cut us off) even though I had a full British Licence. I guess from their perspective they were wanting to tie me to a driving record-which obviously they couldn't do from the UK so hence wanting a US licence. Still need to ring them and update that I passed and hopefully them letters will stop coming.  

What are the requirements in Michigan for a DL? I had a terrible time trying to get my DL here in Nevada. Avoid calling DMV's at all costs - making the trip down in is more worthwhile. 

2 hours ago, jakejon said:

The road markings in Vegas are so poor. Hardly much paint and just them stud things. Definitely going to get Jake to drive in the UK when we got back later this year (and with a manual). Center turning lanes still throw me off a little as sometimes they are that poorly marked here, i need up driving more than i should in it. When I first heard of 'suicide lane', I turned to Jake and said as if I'm driving in a lane called 'Suicide' LOL!!! 

Geico kept sending Jake nasty letters saying that I had until May to get a DL (or else they would cut us off) even though I had a full British Licence. I guess from their perspective they were wanting to tie me to a driving record-which obviously they couldn't do from the UK so hence wanting a US licence. Still need to ring them and update that I passed and hopefully them letters will stop coming.  

What are the requirements in Michigan for a DL? I had a terrible time trying to get my DL here in Nevada. Avoid calling DMV's at all costs - making the trip down in is more worthwhile. 

See the suicide lane to me is the fast lane on the motorway so that's what threw me. Michigan roads aren't always that greatly painted either, which throws me off for turning lanes at times. I guess the more I do it to random places (often just drive to Courtney's work and few stores around and that's it), the more I'll get used to it. 

I'm not there currently, although from what I've read briefly online I don't require a license as a UK is part of the treaty countries for driving licenses in MI. But I will still be trying to get a driving license in MI should we decide to move elsewhere in the states in the future, I'd rather have a MI license to transfer. I know they request proof of domicile and things like that but it's not something I've looked in to too much yet 🙂 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, LukeU said:

I'm not there currently, although from what I've read briefly online I don't require a license as a UK is part of the treaty countries for driving licenses in MI. But I will still be trying to get a driving license in MI should we decide to move elsewhere in the states in the future, I'd rather have a MI license to transfer. I know they request proof of domicile and things like that but it's not something I've looked in to too much yet 🙂  

Michigan required documents https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Applying_for_lic_or_ID_SOS_428_222146_7.pdf

See#2 Legal Presence.  Like in most states, I think you may need the EAD card (I-766). Your I-94 is only good for a 90 day entry. Most places will give you a license that expires when your legal presence expires. If you managed to get a license, it would expire on day 90. You'll probably have to talk to them in person to find out their details since a K1 doesn't fit the mold of any other visa holder or immigrant. 

16 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Michigan required documents https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Applying_for_lic_or_ID_SOS_428_222146_7.pdf

See#2 Legal Presence.  Like in most states, I think you may need the EAD card (I-766). Your I-94 is only good for a 90 day entry. Most places will give you a license that expires when your legal presence expires. If you managed to get a license, it would expire on day 90. You'll probably have to talk to them in person to find out their details since a K1 doesn't fit the mold of any other visa holder or immigrant. 

Yeah it appears that way, hopefully we're able to pop and see someone and speak to them. As by looking at that we could have issues.

https://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/farmworkers/driving-michigan-non-citizen#using-a-foreign-or-out-of-state-drivers-license

I was hoping the fact I didn't have the EA card could be interpreted as, until then I can use mine 😂 I know driving over there isn't too difficult, but I imagine riding a push-bike would be petrifying haha! 

Summary:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, LukeU said:

Yeah it appears that way, hopefully we're able to pop and see someone and speak to them. As by looking at that we could have issues.

https://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/farmworkers/driving-michigan-non-citizen#using-a-foreign-or-out-of-state-drivers-license

I was hoping the fact I didn't have the EA card could be interpreted as, until then I can use mine 😂 I know driving over there isn't too difficult, but I imagine riding a push-bike would be petrifying haha! 

I drove on my UK license until I got EAD. There was no treaty or such. I just did it like I had done on every visit.  I got stopped twice, ticketed on one of those. And in the 10 years since haven't been pulled over once. Beginners bad luck maybe?  My EAD took less than 2 months which isn't happening these days. 

11 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I drove on my UK license until I got EAD. There was no treaty or such. I just did it like I had done on every visit.  I got stopped twice, ticketed on one of those. And in the 10 years since haven't been pulled over once. Beginners bad luck maybe?  My EAD took less than 2 months which isn't happening these days. 

Yeah that's it, I'll just plead foreign, dumb-brit ignorance on the time I get pulled if I do. 

Unfortunately not, 4-6 months is a much more realistic timeframe for EAD now isn't it 😞

Summary:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The EAD/AP processing times are getting ridiculous! My NOA1 was Nov 23rd and my timeline is showing an expected approval around May 6th. Gone are them days of mostly getting in 90 days. Totally unbelievable. I think they are looking mostly at 5-6 months, very few I see from timelines in the 4 mark range. Of course, there are those that take the chance with an expedite as they are bored and want money (well, don't we all!) 

15 hours ago, jakejon said:

The EAD/AP processing times are getting ridiculous! My NOA1 was Nov 23rd and my timeline is showing an expected approval around May 6th. Gone are them days of mostly getting in 90 days. Totally unbelievable. I think they are looking mostly at 5-6 months, very few I see from timelines in the 4 mark range. Of course, there are those that take the chance with an expedite as they are bored and want money (well, don't we all!) 

Yeah I'm hoping by July time they decide to up their game and start knocking them out in 4 months or so (a man can dream)!  As unlikely as that is, we're prepped for more around the 5-6 month mark. With how fast the K1s seem to be getting pushed through from later last year, I'm not holding my breath regarding a quick EAD

Summary:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.