Jump to content
jakejon

Driving in US coming from UK

38 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

Just wandering....

 

Ok, so I've had my UK DL for about 10 years now. Have my driving test booked soon. However, I'm not sure if I'm the only British person to be kinda struggling with poor road markings (well in Vegas), center lanes and left turns (turning too wide/under). Also, speed signs are so poor around my local DMV, (just used to the UK being far more clear LOL). 

 

Just wandering if anyone who took the drive test from a UK perspective, any helpful tips you would give? I hope that makes sense. 

 

Thanks 

Jon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a fairly recent thread about this in this same forum (unsure of title); perhaps scroll around for it.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakejon said:

Hi guys,

 

Just wandering....

 

Ok, so I've had my UK DL for about 10 years now. Have my driving test booked soon. However, I'm not sure if I'm the only British person to be kinda struggling with poor road markings (well in Vegas), center lanes and left turns (turning too wide/under). Also, speed signs are so poor around my local DMV, (just used to the UK being far more clear LOL). 

 

Just wandering if anyone who took the drive test from a UK perspective, any helpful tips you would give? I hope that makes sense. 

 

Thanks 

Jon 

 

It depends what the signs, markings, and rules of the road are in Nevada. Find a driver's manual for Nevada, if there is one and it may help with what is expected of you.

 

If your Vegas DMV is too urban, find one out in the sticks somewhere that might be easier on you. 

 

Do you have one of the following in order to get a license?

Applicants Born Outside the U.S.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551). If the card is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension. The old pink version of the I-551, called the "Resident Alien Card," that contains no expiration date is also acceptable.
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with an I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551.”
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an unexpired U.S. Visa and an I-94 form. If the I-94 is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wuozopo has a great idea about finding a driver's manual. Even though my husband had been driving in the US whenever he visited for years, I made sure he had a manual to study just in case. Doing the test wasn't an issue for him, and compared to the UK test, he says if you can pass that, passing a US test is a breeze. Main thing is to study up, practice a bunch with someone you know that does drive, and relax.


K-1 - AOS & ROC Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

 

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo) 8/13/18 (18 mo)  - Bio: 6/27/18

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

 

It depends what the signs, markings, and rules of the road are in Nevada. Find a driver's manual for Nevada, if there is one and it may help with what is expected of you.

 

If your Vegas DMV is too urban, find one out in the sticks somewhere that might be easier on you. 

 

Do you have one of the following in order to get a license?

Applicants Born Outside the U.S.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551). If the card is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension. The old pink version of the I-551, called the "Resident Alien Card," that contains no expiration date is also acceptable.
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with an I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551.”
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an unexpired U.S. Visa and an I-94 form. If the I-94 is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.

Yeah Nevada has a thing called a Driver Authorization Card which is all I qualify for. Once I get my EAD, I can upgrade to a State Licence. Yeah, definitely referring to the manual lots! At least Jake doesn't think now that I'm going to kill him in a road crash :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Wuozopo has a great idea about finding a driver's manual. Even though my husband had been driving in the US whenever he visited for years, I made sure he had a manual to study just in case. Doing the test wasn't an issue for him, and compared to the UK test, he says if you can pass that, passing a US test is a breeze. Main thing is to study up, practice a bunch with someone you know that does drive, and relax.

Thanks for this!! I just fear I'll be a dumbster and it'll take me 3-5 time LOL. Going to take both you guys advice!! ❤️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakejon said:

Yeah Nevada has a thing called a Driver Authorization Card which is all I qualify for. Once I get my EAD, I can upgrade to a State Licence. Yeah, definitely referring to the manual lots! At least Jake doesn't think now that I'm going to kill him in a road crash :P 

I looked that up. So they allow illegals to drive, but their license is not good for ID or to make it appear they are legal immigrants. Interesting concept. 

 

My test was very easy. A highway patrol officer does the driving test in Texas. I drove a couple of blocks making a few turns, then she said go back to the station. She said "I can tell you are a very good driver" and skipped most of the test. She marked through sections and wrote passed on the bottom. I did have to do the parallel parking test in the car park before we started. 

 

Just learn the rules for your state...like is right on red allowed there? Do you have to come to a complete stop at the light before turning right on a red light? Here, they also expect you to look over your shoulder before changing lanes and not just in the side mirrors. Maybe a general google would come up with Nevada tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely get a manual and study it. Like the Highway Code. Do you have to do a written test as well? We do in Washington. 

 

The driving test itself may be easier than the UK one but may be harder. There’s no such thing as an American driving test as all states set their own requirements and tests. I did my test in Washington state in a foot of snow, and was required to parallel park, reverse around a corner, hill start, go round a roundabout, join and leave a freeway, three-point turn. Very similar to the UK test. I’ve heard of other states on requiring you to be able to drive around the block. 


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about going to a local driving school? Mabey take a couple hours of driving instruction. The instructor can evaluate you driving and you can talk about questions you have while driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JFH said:

reverse around a corner, hill start, go round a roundabout, join and leave a freeway, three-point turn.

Interesting...none of those in my state are tested.  Well maybe freeway driving might happen in urban places, but I went to a small rural town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Interesting...none of those in my state are tested.  Well maybe freeway driving might happen in urban places, but I went to a small rural town. 

I was hoping it would be cancelled because of the snow. But the examiner said “you live in Washington now. You’re going to be driving in snow for several months a year”. Roundabouts weren’t an issue for me, coming from the UK. But I was speaking to someone at work who recently relocated from out of state and she can’t get her head round them at all.


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JFH your driving test sounded really complex. For Nevada, they say their state requirements are you have to have 3 right turns, 3 left turns, a stop sign, a traffic light, school zone and parallel parking. Fair play for doing it in the snow!! Definitely going to take the advice of re-reading the manual. Have already done the written test, had to do that before they would give me my driving permit. Oh, I remember driving in the UK with Jake and he nearly had a heart attack as I drove around a roundabout clockwise :P  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul & Marina said:

Have you thought about going to a local driving school? Mabey take a couple hours of driving instruction. The instructor can evaluate you driving and you can talk about questions you have while driving.

Yeah, kinda thought about that! As I took the K1 way, money is tight. I'd love to do a local driving school to brush up a little as I drive here like I've lost my mind haha

Edited by jakejon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I looked that up. So they allow illegals to drive, but their license is not good for ID or to make it appear they are legal immigrants. Interesting concept. 

 

My test was very easy. A highway patrol officer does the driving test in Texas. I drove a couple of blocks making a few turns, then she said go back to the station. She said "I can tell you are a very good driver" and skipped most of the test. She marked through sections and wrote passed on the bottom. I did have to do the parallel parking test in the car park before we started. 

 

Just learn the rules for your state...like is right on red allowed there? Do you have to come to a complete stop at the light before turning right on a red light? Here, they also expect you to look over your shoulder before changing lanes and not just in the side mirrors. Maybe a general google would come up with Nevada tips. 

The only catch with DAC cards here is I'm limited just to using it in Nevada, which for the time being is ok but I do want to upgrade to a full state licence when I do get my EAD/AP combo card. 

Edited by jakejon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×