Bob & Karla

Caracas Embassy Closed. K1 Visa Appoinment Cancelled by Embassy

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm worried about my K1 visa appoinment cancellation by U.S: Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela. I had my interview in Feb, 27. Today is one week since they cancelled all appoinments in the Embassy. I sent email, called to the Embassy, called to NVC and any one knows ANYTHING. My fiancé called as well and even sent an email to his senator and still waiting some answer..I asked to the NVC officer if is possible to transfer my case to other Embassy and they say no possible because I don't have residence in other country and because my case is already in the embassy. Only they say: Wait for further notice.  This is pretty frustranting!! Keep checking social medias that is the only I can do and everyone who has their appoinment cancelled in Caracas, Venezuela. Any experiences about how they hand this situations when the Embassy is closed?Thanks very much for read my post.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

From US Embassy Caracas FB page yesterday: 

"

"The Consular Section is currently focused on providing emergency services for citizens of the United States. Therefore, we are not processing regular applications for a nonimmigrant and immigrant visa. Visa applicants may request services at US embassies or consulates in other countries. If you have general questions about the visa process, please send an email to CaracasNIV@state.gov".

Timeline
11 hours ago, JNJUSA19 said:

We received this from Caracas:

image.png.101b2cb43a8aa923dbe95ca16b5e15f4.png

Yes, I received that answer as well two days ago regarding to my inquiry on Friday. I hope they work on that soon. Two weeks already the embassy is closed and we don't know anything about what will happen with our cases. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, JNJUSA19 said:

We are trying to move her case to Bogota, but her USCIS case hasn't arrived at NVC yet.

I don't know if that is possible. I called to NVC and asked her for that possibility and she told me that is not possible because my case is already in the embassy. Other girl sent an email and she received and email saying you must show proof about your legal residence or citizenship and that new country. If you meet that requirement, great! Wait until your case get to NVC and ask them.  On other hand, NVC says if you don't meet that requirement you can still communicate with the other embassy and if the accept I suppose they make the transfers. Keep in touch. Best wishes also!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

For what it's worth, NVC is not sending any new cases to Caracas (per my phonecall with NVC this week).  I believe all cases currently in Caracas will be sent to Bogota (per emails that some couples in our caracas whatsapp group have received).

Timeline
On 2/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, JNJUSA19 said:

For what it's worth, NVC is not sending any new cases to Caracas (per my phonecall with NVC this week).  I believe all cases currently in Caracas will be sent to Bogota (per emails that some couples in our caracas whatsapp group have received).

Yes. I'm  administer that whatsapp  group btw Lol.  NVC doesn't know what they will do. My case is already in Bogota waiting further instructions 

Timeline

We are in no way experts on any of this and we don't claim to have any special knowledge.  We only post what our experience is.  If someone finds our posts helpful, then great.  If not, we understand.  T

what I find very frustrating is that the Dept. of State doesn't have a plan.  It's their job to have a plan.  I spent 20 years in the military and we always had a plan A, plan B, plan C.  This isn't rocket science.  Transfer all the cases to Bogota.  That is the easiest place for most Venezuelans I think.  Or at least give people an option to transfer or wait.  Then we have some say in our destiny.  I can't think of a good reason why NVC can't come up with a process and communicate it to those affected.  Rant over.  

Edited by JNJUSA19

On 2/1/2019 at 10:38 AM, Bob & Karla said:

Hi everyone. I'm worried about my K1 visa appoinment cancellation by U.S: Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela. I had my interview in Feb, 27. Today is one week since they cancelled all appoinments in the Embassy. I sent email, called to the Embassy, called to NVC and any one knows ANYTHING. My fiancé called as well and even sent an email to his senator and still waiting some answer..I asked to the NVC officer if is possible to transfer my case to other Embassy and they say no possible because I don't have residence in other country and because my case is already in the embassy. Only they say: Wait for further notice.  This is pretty frustranting!! Keep checking social medias that is the only I can do and everyone who has their appoinment cancelled in Caracas, Venezuela. Any experiences about how they hand this situations when the Embassy is closed?Thanks very much for read my post.

The situation in VE is precarious and unfortunate. 

In re to moving case to another embassy/country, a friend who just completed AOS with Cuban spouse, did it thru Guyana as embassy in Cuba is also closed and beneficiary DID NOT have residence in Guyana. 

This is beyond your control and the world knows what's happening in VE. Whether Bogotá or another country, I wish you the best.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

I went through this with my husband when Havana stopped processing visas. It sucks but you need to wait it out until they designate a new embassy. It was roughly 30 days after they stopped processing in Havana that they announced things would move to Bogotá (interviews were there for 4 months before they moved them to Guyana).

They gave precedence to people who already had appointments when they stopped processing, so your wait won't be too much longer once they designate a new one. Keep checking the embassy website. They made a FAQ page on the Havana website that they kept updating with all of the relevant info.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

ROC

Package Sent: 1/13/20

NOA1 (MSC): 1/16/20

Biometrics Notice: 1/31/20

Biometrics Appt: 2/12/20 (walked in early 2/6)

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled: 10/21/20

Interview Scheduled: 5/12/21

Interview Date: 6/17/21 - Approved!

New Card is Being Produced: 6/17/21

Card Was Mailed to You: 6/21/21

Case Was Approved: 6/22/21

Card Was Picked Up by USPS: 6/23/21

Card in Hand: 6/24/21

Timeline
7 hours ago, Catherine6 said:

The situation in VE is precarious and unfortunate. 

In re to moving case to another embassy/country, a friend who just completed AOS with Cuban spouse, did it thru Guyana as embassy in Cuba is also closed and beneficiary DID NOT have residence in Guyana. 

This is beyond your control and the world knows what's happening in VE. Whether Bogotá or another country, I wish you the best.

Yes. My case it was transferred to Bogota,Colombia but  I don't know what is worse. If to keep my case trapped here in Caracas or in Bogota Lol. My case number has a error in the system for to make my appointment and same for others. I'm waiting what solution they will give me. 

Timeline

I've worked for the US government for most of my adult life.  I don't advocate patiently waiting for DOS to come up with a solution.  Nothing brings laser-focus to a government agency like repeated calls and inquiries from Congressional staffers.  I strongly recommend that everyone involved with Venezuela reach out to their Congressman and request assistance.  This is not rocket science.  DOS should have already implemented a plan and communicated it.  Caracas has been essentially closed for almost a month.   People's lives are literally at stake and DOS needs to be encouraged to act.  Thanks to President Trump's speech, the eyes of the world are on Venezuela (finally)!  Now is the time to act!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.