Jump to content

Which tax forms to use while adjustment of status is pending

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I came to the US on an F1 visa. I got married in 08/17 and filed for AoS in 11/17 (My wife is a US citizen). Both my wife and I have been working all these years.

I received an EAD and Advanced Parole in 12/17.

I traveled abroad and got a PAROLED stamp on my passport on my return to the country because my AoS was pending.


My understanding is that currently I do not have a status (even though the F1 visa on my passport is unexpired) because I have the PAROLED stamp in my passport switching my status from F1 to 'no-status'.


My AoS is still pending, and I have sent a follow up to USCIS since it is outside processing time.


In the past I have used tax prep software that was provided by our university. The forms used were Form 1040-NR and Form 8843.

The forms need to be physically mailed in, and couldn't be filed online.

My question now is:

  1. Which tax forms I would use to file this year?
  2. Should I jointly file with my wife? If so what status would I say I am?


Thanks for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

MFJ (Married Filing Jointly) is usually the most beneficial one with greater amount of standard deduction and a wide variety of deductions and credits. There is usually zero economic benefit with filing MFS (Married Filing Separately). However, in order to file MFJ, you have to be a resident for tax purposes.


In order to be treated as a resident for tax purposes, you have to pass either "the green card test" or "the substantial presence test". My understanding is your EAD+AP still do not constitute the specification of the green card test. And you were an exempt individual as a student, which means your presence in the United States on F-1 is not counted as days in the U.S.. Even if days after Dec 17 have to be counted, you still do not meet the substantial presence test.


So I would say you're still a nonresident alien. However, you can choose to be treated as a resident alien and file MFJ. Look at the link 3 and 4. You should attach a statement.


1. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-green-card-test

2. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

3. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3894147-can-us-citizen-married-to-f-1-student-file-jointly

4. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.