Jake Lake

N600 & Fee waiver ( I-912)

13 posts in this topic

Another question is why is an N-600 needed? Usually one can just obtain a US passport to do everything the certificate does and more.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Another question is why is an N-600 needed? Usually one can just obtain a US passport to do everything the certificate does and more.

If he can get a fee waiver for it, then why not file the N-600 for free.  It would cost him nothing to get the Certificate of Citizenship.  

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If he can get a fee waiver for it, then why not file the N-600 for free.  It would cost him nothing to get the Certificate of Citizenship.  

True. Just seems kinda pointless in 99% of the cases.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/27/2019 at 5:22 PM, geowrian said:

True. Just seems kinda pointless in 99% of the cases.

It is NOT pointless!  your passport ( as a proof of citizenship) can be denied for renewal anytime anyone at the power decides so! ( like the case of isis bride - which i feel good about it in this case though) and simply claim it was a mistake and that becomes your nightmare going court after court to prove it otherwise! but certificate of citizenship is nothing easy to be denied! ( unless it is obtained by falsifications which can void any documents regardless of the title) . Also a lot of financial helps or financial related matters in future of your kid will demand for citizenship documents and NOT passport ( google to find about it)! Also, when the time comes, your kids need such a proof!  then if the parents are divorced, deceased or moved back to their countries or they are nowhere to be found! then do you think it would be easy for your kids to gather all that extra documents and go through all the hassles  without endless frustrations!  Now that everything in your life is in place is the right time to apply for it! Going after passport and renewing  it every 5 or 10 years and paying the fees which during the years also keep increasing, is also not cheap specially if you are not really doing much international trips though! ( i mean air trip, otherwise for driving, an enhanced drivers license is enough for Canada and Mexico). I look at it like an insurance policy! you could live without it saving money for years and years and nothing ever happens, but when it does, well you know what comes after? 

2 hours ago, Dave&Kal said:

It is NOT pointless!  your passport ( as a proof of citizenship) can be denied for renewal anytime anyone at the power decides so! ( like the case of isis bride - which i feel good about it in this case though) and simply claim it was a mistake and that becomes your nightmare going court after court to prove it otherwise! but certificate of citizenship is nothing easy to be denied! ( unless it is obtained by falsifications which can void any documents regardless of the title) .

This is incorrect.

1) A US passport - even if expired - is valid evidence of US citizenship. Even if they refuse to renew the passport, it's still evidence of being a US citizen.

2) In the case you mentioned regarding the ISIS bride, her entire citizenship was found (legally or not is debatable...) to been granted by mistake. This would make her naturalization certificate invalid as well. It's not any harder than declaring the passport invalid.

3) What is she going to do with a US naturalization certificate abroad? In what way would it / could it help her?

2 hours ago, Dave&Kal said:

Also a lot of financial helps or financial related matters in future of your kid will demand for citizenship documents and NOT passport ( google to find about it)! Also, when the time comes, your kids need such a proof!  then if the parents are divorced, deceased or moved back to their countries or they are nowhere to be found! then do you think it would be easy for your kids to gather all that extra documents and go through all the hassles  without endless frustrations!  Now that everything in your life is in place is the right time to apply for it! Going after passport and renewing  it every 5 or 10 years and paying the fees which during the years also keep increasing, is also not cheap specially if you are not really doing much international trips though! ( i mean air trip, otherwise for driving, an enhanced drivers license is enough for Canada and Mexico). I look at it like an insurance policy! you could live without it saving money for years and years and nothing ever happens, but when it does, well you know what comes after? 

Again, the US passport acts as evidence of US citizenship. If somebody requires seeing specific citizenship documents, that would actually be a violation of law.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
15 minutes ago, geowrian said:

This is incorrect.

1) A US passport - even if expired - is valid evidence of US citizenship. Even if they refuse to renew the passport, it's still evidence of being a US citizen.

2) In the case you mentioned regarding the ISIS bride, her entire citizenship was found (legally or not is debatable...) to been granted by mistake. This would make her naturalization certificate invalid as well. It's not any harder than declaring the passport invalid.

3) What is she going to do with a US naturalization certificate abroad? In what way would it / could it help her?

Again, the US passport acts as evidence of US citizenship. If somebody requires seeing specific citizenship documents, that would actually be a violation of law.

If you read my post one more time carefully, you will understand i was not questioning the fact a passport is an evidence of citizenship!  But based on the facts i see , passport can be questioned easily like the case of ( isisi gal) but certificate of citizenship will be harder to deny! of course you could go with a passport and fight all your life court to court to get to this reality that why i did not spend that damn money to get the certificate and finish this once and for all!  What i am trying to clarify is the fact that at some points in life ( specially when loans and financial matters are concerned as a USCIS officer once pointed out ) based on what i have learned, only certificate of citizenship ( or naturalization) is accepted and NOT a passport! you could say that is a proof of citizenship! that is correct but that is NOT accepted sometimes at some places ! so no matter you have the proof of citizenship using your passport, simply it is not the proof requested or accepted in that specific office.  Like the case of a 64 year old guy when he applies for his SSI, he finds out he needs to provide a certificate of citizenship and passport was not accepted in his case!  and guess where he can find his parents documents now? I hear certain loans and financial helps are also requesting for Certificate not a passport! ( why? i don't know!)

Like the example of insurance policy i mentioned before, you could live without it all your life and never need it, but when you need it, you know what happens next! My preference is to pay that extra money and have the documents that will NOT expire every 5 to 10 years and dont have to go through lots of paper works each time to reapply for new passports over and over again or live with an expired passport!

I am done here with this topic. Goodbye.

I understand what was stated.

I reiterate that it is incorrect on all the points noted previously.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I refer those who think a passport is so reliable and a proof of citizenship, to this post; 

Like i said before, apply for N600 as soon as you naturalize, before future complications and save your kids and yourself lots of frustrations, extra costs and worries . Laws keep changing and you dont want to get caught in appeals and courts after courts just to get what is your right now and might not be then!  If saving an n600 fee is all matters to you, then be happy with your passport untill it is your turn! 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State.  Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship? 

No.  You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship.  The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form.  A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State.  However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal

Passport is a joke! They can deny it anytime and you can do nothing about it! ( lots of examples here and there), cert of citizenship is something else!  Department of state ( the one issuing passport) is not the one who can confirm your citizenship when certain issues come up! And their judgment  can be questioned easily and they can dent passport renewal in a snap! But cert if citizenship ( issued by USCIS ) is not that easy to play with! And USCIS is the only source in this country whose words are counted when your citizenshio status is in question!  Not to mention  it never expires and you dont need to renew it and pay the fees over and over along with all those stupid popaper works that go with that at every passport renewal time! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jake Lake said:

Passport is a joke! They can deny it anytime and you can do nothing about it! ( lots of examples here and there), cert of citizenship is something else!  Department of state ( the one issuing passport) is not the one who can confirm your citizenship when certain issues come up! And their judgment  can be questioned easily and they can dent passport renewal in a snap! But cert if citizenship ( issued by USCIS ) is not that easy to play with! And USCIS is the only source in this country whose words are counted when your citizenshio status is in question!  Not to mention  it never expires and you dont need to renew it and pay the fees over and over along with all those stupid popaper works that go with that at every passport renewal time! 

Agree 100% 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.