13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I became US Citizen a year ago and my wife who is also US Citizen but not biological parents of my girls petition for then and brought them into the country as Permanent residency. My question can my two daughters who under 18 get citizenship through me or they have to wait till they till 18 to apply

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I’m not in this situation, but my understanding is that a child cannot just apply for a US passport to prove citizenship. Yes, they are automatically citizens, but still naturalized (at the same time as parents) and need thier own certificate of naturalization.

Check out form N-600.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Ivy. said:

I’m not in this situation, but my understanding is that a child cannot just apply for a US passport to prove citizenship. Yes, they are automatically citizens, but still naturalized (at the same time as parents) and need thier own certificate of naturalization.

Check out form N-600.

You are wrong on every point.

Plenty of minors get US passports and that's their proof of citizenship.

Children do not naturalize.  Only adults can naturalize.  Children derive citizenship from their parents.

They do not need their own certificate of naturalization because they don't naturalize.

The N-600 is for a Certificate of Citizenship.  It's not for a Certificate of Naturalization.  An N-600 is completely unnecessary.  

Check out the FAQ for Form N-600.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State.  Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship? 

No.  You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship.  The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form.  A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State.  

Timeline
51 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State.  Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship? 

No.  You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship.  The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form.  A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State.  

Hmmm I had a colleague that had to file <something> to get her certificate even though she was under 18 when her parents naturalized. Her lawyer mother was helping her with paperwork. 

N600 for Certificate of citizenship, not naturalization, thanks for the correction in terms. 

My understanding was you need the N600 to have proof of citizenship with which you can apply for a US passport. I understand you do not need it the other way around (passport then N600), but if one of the requirements to apply for a passport is to have proof of citizenship (my husband had his US birth certificate and Ill have my certificate of naturalization), what does a minor child of a newly naturalized US citizen use? Their parents paperwork? Don’t they need something of their own?

Thanks for helping me figure this out. 

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Timeline

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/citizenship-evidence.html

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

Timeline

Ah I see. So by providing parental documents, a minor can get a US passport of their own making N600 for their own certificate completely optional at this point. 

That’s interesting. Thanks so much for clarification. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

@mbarimaAs others have already pointed out your children (under 18) automatically becomes citizens when you became a citizen. All you need to do is get them a US passport ASAP.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

Children of U.S. Citizens Residing in the United States

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001: 

·         The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;

·         The child is under 18 years of age;

·         The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and

·         The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

Now, filing form N-600 is not really necessary. I made my little brother do it because I wanted him to have an additional document proving his citizenship. It's not a naturalization certificate (it's a certificate of citizenship) but if you are above 14 you are required to appear for an oath of allegiance ceremony just like 'naturalization' oath ceremony. My little brother did the oath ceremony as he was 17 at that time. Again, this is not required so if you choose to do it, it will cost (like $1170) you money :).

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 2/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, nastra30 said:

@mbarimaAs others have already pointed out your children (under 18) automatically becomes citizens when you became a citizen. All you need to do is get them a US passport ASAP.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

Children of U.S. Citizens Residing in the United States

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001: 

·         The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;

·         The child is under 18 years of age;

·         The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and

·         The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

Now, filing form N-600 is not really necessary. I made my little brother do it because I wanted him to have an additional document proving his citizenship. It's not a naturalization certificate (it's a certificate of citizenship) but if you are above 14 you are required to appear for an oath of allegiance ceremony just like 'naturalization' oath ceremony. My little brother did the oath ceremony as he was 17 at that time. Again, this is not required so if you choose to do it, it will cost (like $1170) you money :).

thank you, so if I understand you very well, all I have to do is fill out the passport forms and support it with my citizenship certificate to get her US passport

Timeline
41 minutes ago, mbarima said:

thank you, so if I understand you very well, all I have to do is fill out the passport forms and support it with my citizenship certificate to get her US passport

That is 100% correct.

Of course with the other proofs that she's your daughter, she lives with you and she is LPR.

Edited by nastra30

Timeline
28 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

That is 100% correct.

Of course with the other proofs that she's your daughter, she lives with you and she is LPR.

Got it Thank you very much 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mbarima said:

Got it Thank you very much 

Following the instructions here on how to apply for US Passport for Children Under 16.

A. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/under-16.html

B.

In No 2. of the instructions above follow this link to proof citizenship of your child

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/citizenship-evidence.html

Specifically this section->

"If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Certified court order of legitimation "

C.

Continue from No. 3 of the Instructions in A. above. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/under-16.html

Following the instructions here on how to apply for US Passport for Children Age 16-17

A. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/16-17.html

B.

In No 2. of the instructions above follow this link to proof citizenship of your child

Specifically this section->

"If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Certified court order of legitimation "

C.

Continue from No. 3 of the Instructions in A. above. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/16-17.html

Edited by nastra30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.