TCKB-07

This May be a Bit Complicated

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
22 hours ago, geowrian said:

As long as you do not legally marry in the US, it wouldn't be illegal.

The first step is getting the tourist visa. Until then, any talk of marrying in the US is pretty moot. If he wants to visit, then he applies for the visa and gets that first. The circumstances noted here make this a very large hurdle.

He will need to declare that he is married on the DS-160.

If you cross the line into a (il)legal marriage (not just an unregistered marriage), you're in for a boatload of trouble for anything related to the US.

The moment immigration or other government benefits are being brought into the picture, you need a legal marriage. Unless the prior marriage is terminated first, any such legal marriage is off the table in the US.

If you have a legal marriage in Ghana (again..not just an unregistered one!), then that marriage is not recognized by the US and you're in the same position as if you (il)legally married in the US.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. This is what I was thinking, but was not sure. 

16 hours ago, HonoraryCitizen said:

You’re just going to get a lot of people here ######## on you in a knee jerk fashion because they do not understand Ghanaian customs and partly perhaps becauseyour explanation was not very clear to them

I am Ghanaian and I happen to understand what you are doing. He’s coming over here for a customary marriage ceremony with you. In actual fact that marriage is not recognized by the USA  until you register it in the Ghanaian courts (or registry) under our customary marriage ordinance. Thus so far as you do not register it, you have not committed bigamy per USA perspective. It’s akin to people in the USA having a church wedding but not signing the documents. So what you’re doing is a marriage ceremony (which will be recognized by his people because they only care about the ceremony) which is not legally recognized by the USA.

Next you talk about filing a B2 visa for him. That is inaccurate, nobody files or petitions a B2 for anyone. You may be inviting him however you’re not filing for him. He’s applying himself. Heck he can still apply without your invitation. Additionally in the future he does not have to fill out on his forms that he’s married to you because he’s not per the USA until the marriage is registered.

Additinally although he has a stool wife, if he hasn’t registered it in Ghana, then he’s actually not married to the stool wife in Ghana (per the USA) and hence he’s actually single and free to marry you and register it in Ghana without either of you falling afoul of bigamy laws in the USA.

I hope this clarifies things for you. You may consult a Ghanaian family law practitioner for clarification.

The link below gives some perspective.

http://www.kma.gov.gh/kma/?marriage-services&page=5354

Phew! Medaase paa!  It's hard to explain something that is new to me to people that don't understand it, either.  I appreciate the link.  You put me at ease. I really appreciate your explanation. HE did apply for his B2. His appointment is next month, I hope he can overcome the scrutiny that Ghana is facing because of some fraudulent people. I personally think he has strong ties, outside of a whole community that counts on him. 

14 hours ago, AnnaMaria said:

If he doesn't intend on living here, he is some kind of chief with wealth, what US benefits are you trying to get him? I'm a married veteran with a 100% disability, and my wife (who I've been married to solely for almost 6 years), doesn't get some kind of extraordinary benefits. Spousal benefits for veterans are typically a benefit payment increase, educational opportunity (roughly 1000 a month or so), an average option of supplemental healthcare (if approved), and I think that's the most noteworthy. I dont think that's a good reason to want your marriage to he recognized here, seems like a sketchy use of government funds in my opinion.

So my question is, if you plan on living in Ghana indefinitely after your illegal US marriage, the only benefit that would remotely serve that kind of marriage is a benefits increase assuming the US government pays citizens living in Ghana. (Some countries they will not pay benefits if you reside there, check their website to confirm your situatuon).

Unless he divorces, stay in Ghana. A B-2 is a tourist visa, the moment they find out the intent is to marry on it, it is game over and a denial.

Enjoy being a chieftess or whatever the spouse is called and enjoy his wealth with him, if he doesn't want to give up being some kind of ruler, then he has no desire to respect the rule of law here in the US, thus trying to marry him here under false pretense, or illegal way is futile. 

I am 100%  P&T and retired. So besides Tricare, I also still get MAC flights and access to installations. I plan to travel a lot with our children, so it will be beneficial if we can do that on Military flights. Yes, I will still get my benefits while living overseas as i am still a US citizen and a retired Veteran. 

Thankfully, I have my own wealth. Combined, we will do great things for the community. I have my answers about the legality, thanks. I am also not marrying under false pretense. But I appreciate your advise non the less. 

14 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

If he gets a B visa, have him come here and meet your family. Don’t get married till you go back to Ghana. The rest is confusing because you talk variously about living there and getting him citizenship, mutually exclusive factors. I come from a country where polygamous tribal marriages are legal, it’s not Ghana, but I’m sure there are parallels. Just be sure you know where in the hierarchy you’ll be. And why. Why does this Ghanaian chief want to import a US bride?

and yes, perceptions about Ghana matter, maybe not here but certainly at the consulate. 56% of Ghanaian applicants for B visas are refused. It also has one of the highest refusal rates for DV visas (which are more often than not a slam dunk for those being selected). There are forums where Ghanaians talk openly about falsifying documents, lying at interview etc. different culture about a lot of things,not just marriage, but a lot of that falls foul of US immigration law.

Noted. Thank you. He is not importing me. I have been planning to move to Ghana for about 3 years now. I moved to Hawaii to go finish school and we met while I was in Ghana with a friend during a break. My friend's husband and him are childhood friends. So not a typical met online type of thing. We have had a lot of discussions. As well with his family and mine. As this is a new concept for all of us in the US, and they have embraced it (my family), it says something. 

Wow, 56%?! That's high. I had no idea it was that bad. Thank you. I sent an invitation, in my mind, with Hawaii being a big tourist place, who would not want to come and visit? It's not easy to live here so most wouldn't imagine staying here without the means because you get stuck. That's my mind, but I seem to think opposite of what a consulate would think. Time will tell, regardless, I will be moving to Ghana soon. 

14 hours ago, AnnaMaria said:

Stay on topic or they will close this thread.

Also OP, my VA healthcare did not cover outside the US. So if you plan on living on Ghana that is something you might want to consider.

Thank you. I am also retired, so my Tricare will cover me, thankfully. It may mean being reimbursed in certain instances, but if I need to get sent to like Germany, I will be good to go. 

9 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

Fly your family to Ghana?  You’re taking kids into this?  Please tell me you’re not forcing children into this mess.

Well I meant my adult family as in aunts and siblings. As a matter of fact, YES I have children and yes they are moving with me to Ghana and they are very excited about going. And they absolutely love my fiancee. Yes, i have also educated them on tradition that would also be theirs if we were not forced here.  It is your ignorance that is showing by your statement. What makes you think I am forcing my children into anything, let alone a mess? Just because something is not your culture, or your way of doing things or your preference, it does not mean it is wrong, nor does it make is messy. Last I checked, monogamous marriages have pretty high divorce rates in the US, and last time I checked, they far outnumber the divorce rates in African countries. Did you have anything constructive to add or were you just replying to be ignorant and judgmental? Good day you, Sir or Ma'am. 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:36 PM, carmel34 said:

If your boyfriend or fiance in Ghana is a chief with a lot of wealth and influence there, and does not want to leave, he will never be able to immigrate to the US, become a permanent resident, get a green card, or eventually naturalize and become a US citizen.  Immigrant visas are for immigration, i.e., to permanently live in the US, at least long enough to satisfy residency requirements to become a citizen, and that takes a minimum of three years after becoming a legal permanent resident.  There is no way he can become a green card holder or a US citizen living in Ghana, even if married according to the laws of Ghana, to a US citizen.  If his B2 visa is denied, then you have already stated your plan B, to move to Ghana, marry him there according to the laws of his country, and live there with him happily ever after.  Just keep in mind that if you do this, it will continue to be a challenge for him to get a B2 visa to visit your family in the US because Ghana is a high visa fraud country so his applications will always be given a lot of scrutiny, even after you are "sort of married" to him, as a CO or CBPO might see your relationship and be concerned that if he goes to the US as a tourist with a US citizen girlfriend/fiancee/sort of wife, he might stay in the US and try to adjust status while there.  I must say you have been so good about all of the comments given, and appreciative of the advice, so good for you!  And good luck with your journey wherever it takes you.  You will do a lot of good in Ghana it sounds like.

I am so early in everything, I'm not even married yet. I am really just trying to figure out the best way to go about such a big move, when and how to do everything and not trying to make any serious mistakes in the beginning. My plan A is to move to Ghana this year, build a home, build a school and help our community. This was my goal prior to meeting my fiance' and still my plan now. Ironically, people in Ghana could speculate that I am using him to get dual citizenship in Ghana, or marrying him for his wealth and status.  How about that for irony lol. I have a lot to think about and a lot to discuss. Of course no one can predict the future, but I like to try to anticipate it and plan for it as much as possible. I appreciate your reply. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.